thrumming vibration

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
I have 4500 miles on my all stock rubicon automatic and have noticed a thrumming vibration that has been getting progressively more noticeable over the last couple thousand miles. I thought it might be the tires, so I have rotated them and varied the pressure but the vibration doesn't seem to change. It starts around 35 mph is worse right around 57 mph and them seems to taper down some. Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored

iblowatsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
I have the same issue and have posted numerous times on it, I've had some front axle parts replaced and gone through hell with my dealership to get it resolved, to no avail as of now. Hopefully we'll find something to fix it, I know some JLs have had the same exact issue as well with similar bad experiences getting it resolved.

Does your vibration go away if you put it in 4wd? Mine does, which makes me think it's related to the FAD possibly?

OP
OP
zprovo

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
@iblowatsports, I will try putting it into 4wd tonight on my way home...
I found that other thread, and it made me sad.

OP
OP
zprovo

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
shifting in and out of 4H didn't change anything.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What is thrumming? Never heard that to describe a vibration - curious.
Just to be certain - it's a vibration, meaning you FEEL it - and not a sound as in HEAR it.
A vibration is something you may feel in the steering wheel, the pedals, the floor, the dash, the doors, the seats and so on.
A sound could be a "drone" type of sound, low, or high pitch, it may be a sound that resonates through the sheet metal, etc.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just to be certain - it's a vibration, meaning you FEEL it - and not a sound as in HEAR it.
A vibration is something you may feel in the steering wheel, the pedals, the floor, the dash, the doors, the seats and so on.
A sound could be a "drone" type of sound, low, or high pitch, it may be a sound that resonates through the sheet metal, etc.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thrumming

OP
OP
zprovo

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
I think "oscillating vibration" would have been a better way to describe it (I found that in another thread). You can feel it and hear it, but it has a very low pitch. Sort of like following a nissan sentra with huge subs in the trunk (huge subs in the nissan's trunk).

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / GCM - 2016 KIA Optima
I have an issue as well, I called it sonic vibration (like the toothbrush), it consistently fades in and out. I first thought it was the 35” Nitto Grapplers and had them balanced several times. Someone mentioned my grill insert so I removed it and didn’t make a difference. Funny thing is I had it in 4hi today but to the weather and when I put it back in 2 wheel it seems like it’s worse. So who knows

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I have an issue as well, I called it sonic vibration (like the toothbrush), it consistently fades in and out. I first thought it was the 35” Nitto Grapplers and had them balanced several times. Someone mentioned my grill insert so I removed it and didn’t make a difference. Funny thing is I had it in 4hi today but to the weather and when I put it back in 2 wheel it seems like it’s worse. So who knows
Hi JOKER8R,
Thanks for also sharing your concerns here about your JT. When you have a chance to address this with your dealer, please keep us updated on the diagnosis. Feel free to send us a PM with your VIN if you would like additional assistance.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I have 4500 miles on my all stock rubicon automatic and have noticed a thrumming vibration that has been getting progressively more noticeable over the last couple thousand miles. I thought it might be the tires, so I have rotated them and varied the pressure but the vibration doesn't seem to change. It starts around 35 mph is worse right around 57 mph and them seems to taper down some. Anyone else experiencing this?
Hi zprovo,
We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern in your vehicle. Have you had a chance to address this with your dealer yet? We would be happy to look into this further for you along with your dealers diagnosis.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP
zprovo

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Hi zprovo,
We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern in your vehicle. Have you had a chance to address this with your dealer yet? We would be happy to look into this further for you along with your dealers diagnosis.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Thanks Kathryn!
I sent a PM to JeepCares.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zprovo

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
So I took my Gladiator to the dealer...it went roughly as I expected.
The tech felt the vibration but said it was normal / within specs. Pretty frustrating.
We attempted to take a roadtrip in the Jeep, but my wife made us turn around and get her car because the vibration was giving her a headache.
I'm not really sure which way to go from here.
I was thinking I would start by swapping out the tires, I'm pretty sure it's not them, but it's fairly painless to swap out another set to rule them out. Then I guess I could pull one driveshaft at a time and see if that makes a difference. After that I don't know what to do...
I get that these techs can't spend a ton of diagnostic time on each individual car, but it bums me out that anyone would say that this vibration is normal on a $48k vehicle with 5,000 miles on it.

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / GCM - 2016 KIA Optima
So I took my Gladiator to the dealer...it went roughly as I expected.
The tech felt the vibration but said it was normal / within specs. Pretty frustrating.
We attempted to take a roadtrip in the Jeep, but my wife made us turn around and get her car because the vibration was giving her a headache.
I'm not really sure which way to go from here.
I was thinking I would start by swapping out the tires, I'm pretty sure it's not them, but it's fairly painless to swap out another set to rule them out. Then I guess I could pull one driveshaft at a time and see if that makes a difference. After that I don't know what to do...
I get that these techs can't spend a ton of diagnostic time on each individual car, but it bums me out that anyone would say that this vibration is normal on a $48k vehicle with 5,000 miles on it.
look forward to an update when you find someone out. Thanks

kelcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Any updates on this subject? My Gladiator has the same issue.
Sponsored