Thule Xsporter Pro?

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
Anyone here using the Xsporter Pro adjustable rack on their Gladiator? If so, any issue mounting it? And how low will the load bars be at their lowest point? I'm guessing they won't drop all the way down because of the bed shape. I'd like to use this rack if it'll work as I really like the adjustability it offers. I have their much older model on my F150 and love that for long road trips in that I can keep my roof top tent below the roof line for mileage but if I need to haul the kayaks or some lumber it can be raised up to do so.
Sponsored

abugarcias

First Name
Reuben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I was considering the same until I saw the yakima overhaul. It can adjust up and down (adjusts on top of the bed rails instead of inside like the xporter) plus I like the way it looks compared with the thule. It also has more accessories for fuel/water cans, etc...

https://www.yakima.com/overhaul-hd

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I was considering the same until I saw the yakima overhaul. It can adjust up and down (adjusts on top of the bed rails instead of inside like the xporter) plus I like the way it looks compared with the thule. It also has more accessories for fuel/water cans, etc...

https://www.yakima.com/overhaul-hd
I like the Yakima Overhaul as well, but be careful. It looks like it only comes with the supports for the cross bars, so you still have to drop another $200+ to get the Yakima cross bars. Is the Overhaul $200+ better than the Thule?

abugarcias

First Name
Reuben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the Yakima Overhaul as well, but be careful. It looks like it only comes with the supports for the cross bars, so you still have to drop another $200+ to get the Yakima cross bars. Is the Overhaul $200+ better than the Thule?
True. My plan was to wait for REI to give one of their 20% coupons they do a few times a year which will bring it down some.

OP
OP
NORDNDED

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I ended up going with a Yakima Outpost setup along with the rail adapters for Toyotas. I did have to remove the rails to slide the hardware for the rail adapters inside of them but was a perfect fit otherwise. I also ended up cutting the drop leg for one adapter for better spacing/clearance of the gas filler bump.

fullsizeoutput_796.jpeg
HIZRJbNFSu6151M8ipXgWg.jpg
jWKNsthfRGioQPBwHTo2UQ.jpg

Sponsored

abugarcias

First Name
Reuben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I ended up going with a Yakima Outpost setup along with the rail adapters for Toyotas. I did have to remove the rails to slide the hardware for the rail adapters inside of them but was a perfect fit otherwise. I also ended up cutting the drop leg for one adapter for better spacing/clearance of the gas filler bump.

fullsizeoutput_796.jpeg
That looks real nice. What's in the bed? I'd go with that setup but I want to be able to carry longer things that go over the cab at times. I'll probably end up getting the overhaul.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I installed the Thule TracRac using the tacoma 2016+ mounts, they also work with the Xsporter. However, you'd have to mount the front a little further back to clear the gas tank bump out if you wanted to lower the rack more than a few inches, and even then it'd probably only lower about a foot due to the rear wheel wells. Not sure if that'd be worth the $400 premium over the tracrac, which is non-adjustable.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future jt owner

fullsizeoutput_796.jpeg
Looks good! What size rails did you go with?

OP
OP
NORDNDED

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks good! What size rails did you go with?
I went with 60” crossbars. They are pretty close to the width of the cab which is what I was going for to eliminate any chance of wind noise.

ChipFernandez

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 97 Harley-Davidson Fatboy, 2019 Coleman BT200X
I went with 60” crossbars. They are pretty close to the width of the cab which is what I was going for to eliminate any chance of wind noise.
Do you have a picture from the back that shows the width of the 60" crossbars compared to the bed of the truck?

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wanted the Yakima overhaul HD but they seem tough to come by so I grabbed the xsporter pro. This is them at their lowest setting

IMG_20190725_182514.jpg

IMG_20190725_182457.jpg

IMG_20190725_182527.jpg
The 2016+ Tacoma bed rail mounts work with the trail rail setup if you modify the feet, looks like you removed the side trail rails instead. Do you plan to leave it permanently mounted?

Whitepanther

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The 2016+ Tacoma bed rail mounts work with the trail rail setup if you modify the feet, looks like you removed the side trail rails instead. Do you plan to leave it permanently mounted?
I had messaged Thule asking if the Tacoma mounts worked and they told me to remove the trail rails and use the c clamps. If the Tacoma bed rail mounts work I'd prefer that so I can put my trail rails back on. Also, you can kind of see it in the picture but the c clamps were making the side rails start to bow.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They work if you modify the feet like so.
20190630_153126.jpg

I got the same bowing but it went away after removing the rails so I wouldn't worry about it.

20190630_161853.jpg

RedGlad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I looked over this thread before I bought a rack. I tow a 20' travel trailer and I wanted the rack to be above my cab so my 8' and 10' Kayaks I carry didn't extend past my tailgate towards the trailer behind. I decided to go with the Xsporter Pro. I ordered the XK48 Xsporter Pro Adapters to mount to the cargo rail system inside the Gladiator bed. I saw the bit about modifying the feet, but after playing with it for a few hours I decided to return the adpators and use the C-Clamps that came with base rack package.
The alterations I had to make were:
1. Take off the two cargo rails from each side of the truck bed.
2. Drill a 3/8" hole through the bottom chord of both cargo rails at 10-3/8" from the front end.
3. Drill a 3/8" hole through the bottom chord of both cargo rails at 17-1/2" from the front end.
4. Drill a 3/8" hole through the bottom chord of both cargo rails at 29-5/16" from the front end.
5. Drill a 3/8" hole through the bottom chord of both cargo rails at 36-9/16" from the front end.
6. Reinstall both cargo rails to the truck bed.
7. The C-Clamps wouldn't fit (shims were too thick) using the Rubber Shims (Part P from the Thule directions) under the Base Assembly (Part E from the Thule directions), so I bought 1/8" thick by 4" wide neopreme rubber strip grade 65A from Amazon for $19.00 and cut them to match the same size of the stock model with an exacto knife.
8. I then placed the Base Assembly over the 1/8" rubber shim I built and slipped the (2) C-Clamps on each. The bottom of the C-Clamp slips inside of the cargo rail. I then pushed the 3" button head cap screws throught the holes I drilled in the bottom sides of the rails and turned them into the C-Clamps factory treaded hole in the center of the clamps.
9. Before I cranked these tight, I took the factory shims that were too thick and cut them into 10-1/4" by 1-9/16" pieces.
10. I sprayed both side of the rubber lightly with WD-40 and slipped them into the space above the top of the cargo rail and the bottom of the factory plastic bed rail cap. This acted as a washer to keep these two surfaces from squeezing together and warping when I tightened the cap screws down with a ratchet and hex tip from below.
11. I cut the crossbars down to 63" which is about the width of the cab.

The Thule system is definantly not cheap but niether is the Gladiator. It took more time then Thule stock parts to mount to the Jeep cargo rail system but in June thiis wasn't an option (still dont know if it is). The other parts I used to mount the Kayaks were : Thule 834 Hull-a-Port J style & Hull-a-Port T-Track Adaptor KIT. Theres no wind noise from the rack (empty or loaded with kayaks) with or without my trailer in tow. I'm very happy with it and I'm glad I bought the adjustable model.

001 Cargo Rail Removed.jpg

002 Drilling Cargo Rail.jpg

003 Cargo Rail with holes drilled.jpg

004 Cargo Rail with clamp.jpg

005 .125in thick rubber shim.jpg

006 Driver Side installed.jpg

007 Passenger Side installed.jpg

008 Tightening C Clamps.jpg

009 Complete Install.jpg

View attachment 34787

View attachment 34788

010 Kayaks 2.jpg