Sponsored

Time to Max Out the Max Tow Axles

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Well I have asked for a quote from my local jeep shop to do some upgrades. I am not comfortable with screwing around inside the axles without breaking anything so I am just going to go from stock to maxing out what these are capable of all at once. Here is what I am having done

ARB RD246 front & rear
RCV 35 spline front with FAD Delete
Dutchman Rear 35 spline axles
5.13 gears
Truss'd axles front & rear

I am expecting about 5k in parts + labor

Going to wire in the ARB compressor myself & use the factory Aux Switch's

My goal here is to not have to repeat work or cost with later upgrades so short of doing 60's I dont think there is any way of stronger axles here.

Anyone else notice anything else I should be doing to get it all done at once.
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Well I have asked for a quote from my local jeep shop to do some upgrades. I am not comfortable with screwing around inside the axles without breaking anything so I am just going to go from stock to maxing out what these are capable of all at once. Here is what I am having done

ARB RD246 front & rear
RCV 35 spline front with FAD Delete
Dutchman Rear 35 spline axles
5.13 gears
Truss'd axles front & rear

I am expecting about 5k in parts + labor

Going to wire in the ARB compressor myself & use the factory Aux Switch's

My goal here is to not have to repeat work or cost with later upgrades so short of doing 60's I dont think there is any way of stronger axles here.

Anyone else notice anything else I should be doing to get it all done at once.
yes, add my truck to your build list ;)

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Another day, still no E locker options for out MT axles. Sigh
Yes, but the Ox offering should be available next month. There electric option though I dont like. Kinda defeats the purpose to me to have to run the actuator cable. If it wasnt for the 35spline options with the ARB's I would of heavily considered it. The 35 spline extra strength though I am just going this way. I mathed it out & going with 32 spline would of allowed me to save some now, but by the time I replaced the axles with Chromeoly later I would only have about 600 bucks savings so I didnt figure it was worth the savings to not have the better axles.

Still going to have to replace the driveshafts later, but those are easy so I will wait till I actually break one.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but the Ox offering should be available next month. There electric option though I dont like. Kinda defeats the purpose to me to have to run the actuator cable. If it wasnt for the 35spline options with the ARB's I would of heavily considered it. The 35 spline extra strength though I am just going this way. I mathed it out & going with 32 spline would of allowed me to save some now, but by the time I replaced the axles with Chromeoly later I would only have about 600 bucks savings so I didnt figure it was worth the savings to not have the better axles.

Still going to have to replace the driveshafts later, but those are easy so I will wait till I actually break one.
Curious, where did you hear about the Ox coming out for the JL/JT D44? Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Curious, where did you hear about the Ox coming out for the JL/JT D44? Thanks.
Bubbah from Exodus told me on Facebook & then I emailed Ox & asked. There customer service got back to me in less then 12 hours & said

It will probably be the middle of September.
They are the new M210 and the M220

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Bubbah from Exodus told me on Facebook & then I emailed Ox & asked. There customer service got back to me in less then 12 hours & said

It will probably be the middle of September.
They are the new M210 and the M220
Hm. I don't hate the idea of the manual shift, but I'm also not thrilled about it. It's almost as if there's some sort of embargo on E-lockers. Every other undesirable option will be first to market, it seems. These aux switches will just sit and sit!

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hm. I don't hate the idea of the manual shift, but I'm also not thrilled about it. It's almost as if there's some sort of embargo on E-lockers. Every other undesirable option will be first to market, it seems. These aux switches will just sit and sit!
I absolutely hate the idea of manual shift. Ox is pretty versatile though with it being manual air or electric. The electric may not be too bad if you truss the axles. You can just mount the actuator to the trussing nice & protected. But otherwise the cable they use seems more cumbersome then air.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I absolutely hate the idea of manual shift. Ox is pretty versatile though with it being manual air or electric. The electric may not be too bad if you truss the axles. You can just mount the actuator to the trussing nice & protected. But otherwise the cable they use seems more cumbersome then air.
Onboard air is a huge added expense, on top of complexity. All my earliest memories of offroading are people's air lockers failing because the air lines disintegrated with time and desert heat. And that PSSSSSSSSSSS sound of an air line coming loose on the trail. I'm still going to just wait for a proper E-locker to come to market. Someone, someday, will want to take my money!

MRPANDAZZ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I am actually in the process of getting a very similar thing done.
35 spline RCV with FAD to retain a bit of fuel economy and wear and tear. 6-8 weeks out from RCV
35 spline Dutchman rears
And the matching ARB lockers with 4.88s

My price is over 6k total with tax, most of that being parts. I did my own ARB compressor install and getting diff covers thrown on when the work is done.
Truss will be down the road

I agree that this is a pretty cost effective alternative to a full swap.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Onboard air is a huge added expense, on top of complexity. All my earliest memories of offroading are people's air lockers failing because the air lines disintegrated with time and desert heat. And that PSSSSSSSSSSS sound of an air line coming loose on the trail. I'm still going to just wait for a proper E-locker to come to market. Someone, someday, will want to take my money!
Added expence yes, but not all that bad. Including the mount the onboard air is about 350 total with me installing it. That also will free up some of the under seat storage which is where I try to shove all my recovery gear when I remove my Viair compressor.

I am actually in the process of getting a very similar thing done.
35 spline RCV with FAD to retain a bit of fuel economy and wear and tear. 6-8 weeks out from RCV
35 spline Dutchman rears
And the matching ARB lockers with 4.88s

My price is over 6k total with tax, most of that being parts. I did my own ARB compressor install and getting diff covers thrown on when the work is done.
Truss will be down the road

I agree that this is a pretty cost effective alternative to a full swap.
Sounds nearly identical to what I am doing except I am going a little deeper on gears & Trussing the axles. I haven't seen the 35 spline RCV that maintained the FAD though. I know they do on the 32 spline, but I figured there wasn't clearance for the slip joint on the bigger axles. I would prefer doing it that way not because of the fuel mileage, but just because then the front driveshaft wouldn't be turning unless it was actually being used. Kinda went back & forwarth on the 32 vs 35 spline because of this, but figured in the end I wanted strength over the rest.

The 4.88 vs 5.13 I have gone back & forwarth on a bunch. Made my final decision on the basis of only going above 60 mph once or twice a month & for short stretch's only. The extra RPM's on the highway werent going to hurt nothing.

MRPANDAZZ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went back and forth as well. My 4x4 shop kinda convinced me on the 4.88s since I plan to do a lot more hwy at 70+mph to go see some trails.
I thought the 35 RCVs were only non FAD initially but from what I was told they are an option. I will confirm, I know on the 32 FAD the joint tolerance is tight so 35 spline may not work.
I mounted my compressor under hood in a spot I saw from a member here. No mount needed, just removed the engine cover.

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went back and forth as well. My 4x4 shop kinda convinced me on the 4.88s since I plan to do a lot more hwy at 70+mph to go see some trails.
I thought the 35 RCVs were only non FAD initially but from what I was told they are an option. I will confirm, I know on the 32 FAD the joint tolerance is tight so 35 spline may not work.
I mounted my compressor under hood in a spot I saw from a member here. No mount needed, just removed the engine cover.
I dont like that compressor location. Its in all honestly probably better then the firewall behind the drivers fender for the compressor, but I figured routing of airlines would be easier & I keep routing stuff up the other side so I dont want to add any unnecessary clutter near the battery. The mount for that same single high output compressor from the banned site is only 50 bucks & looks to be a very clean install location.

MRPANDAZZ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont like that compressor location. Its in all honestly probably better then the firewall behind the drivers fender for the compressor, but I figured routing of airlines would be easier & I keep routing stuff up the other side so I dont want to add any unnecessary clutter near the battery. The mount for that same single high output compressor from the banned site is only 50 bucks & looks to be a very clean install location.
I’m not familiar with that site or mount. Decided against the firewall option. I will see how this option works for now. Good luck with your build. Should be beefy.

I’m waiting to hear back about the FAD on 35 spline RCVs now.

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not familiar with that site or mount. Decided against the firewall option. I will see how this option works for now. Good luck with your build. Should be beefy.

I’m waiting to hear back about the FAD on 35 spline RCVs now.
Let me know what you hear about the FAD. I think your a little ahead of me in this process.
Sponsored