First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Marketing
Wasn't too sure what to expect registering my JT Mojave bought in Idaho with DMV in cal.

here's what I learned;

1) need a smog
2) need vehicle id to be verified by authorized 3rd party: was able to do this at dmv, AAA will also do it
3) did not need to weigh the vehicle
4) title was at dmv so had filled in form and spent 2 hours in queue and then with the guy doing the paper work.

Hope it helps

steve
Sponsored

ssrgeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD '21 JTR,
Sounds exactly what I had to do buying in Colorado. I now have a JT on order with Peterson's, so good to know what I have to look forward too. :like:

OP
OP
Steveg137

Steveg137

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Marketing
Sounds exactly what I had to do buying in Colorado. I now have a JT on order with Peterson's, so good to know what I have to look forward too. :like:
I read that I'd need to weigh in but didn't have to. Someone at dmv told me he thought I needed to 95% but I read wasn't needed for less than 8k lb vehicles.
Good luck

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Don't forget, you can make an appointment online and save a TON of time on Cal DMV activities. Despite I have an AAA membership, when I went to get a REAL ID State ID card, I did all the preliminary work online. I made an appointment, took 5 weeks to wait. Walked in, waited 2 miutes, 20 minutes after that I was walking out the door. I'm foreign born, to boot!

Push the easy button and do the online homework.

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow, Mazdaspeed 3
Great advice. I'm going to be doing the same in a month hopefully. Curious for those mentioning AAA. Can everything be done at a AAA branch or do you have to go to DMV for out of state registration? I've actually never done my reg at the DMV, only done it at either AAA or one of the KIOSKs

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steveg137

Steveg137

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Marketing
Agree my pre planning wasn't
Great advice. I'm going to be doing the same in a month hopefully. Curious for those mentioning AAA. Can everything be done at a AAA branch or do you have to go to DMV for out of state registration? I've actually never done my reg at the DMV, only done it at either AAA or one of the KIOSKs
AAA can do it for you but you must have the title. Mine was sent by dealer to dmv who then sent me note saying needed go in to dmv to complete. If you go to dmv get smog and id first unless your local dmv does the id. AAA cam also do it,

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow, Mazdaspeed 3
Agree my pre planning wasn't

AAA can do it for you but you must have the title. Mine was sent by dealer to dmv who then sent me note saying needed go in to dmv to complete. If you go to dmv get smog and id first unless your local dmv does the id. AAA cam also do it,
Does bill of sale work if you've financed?

OP
OP
Steveg137

Steveg137

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Marketing
If possible I'd keep it registered in another state besides CA, the registration fees are ridiculous in this state...
Don't believe you can do that if you plan to drive it in cal for more than few weeks.

You need cal plates.

Honestly needing a smog for a new vehicle is crazy

Sigh

Sponsored

ssrgeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD '21 JTR,
Don't believe you can do that if you plan to drive it in cal for more than few weeks.

You need cal plates.

Honestly needing a smog for a new vehicle is crazy

Sigh
Agreed, CA will make you pay around every corner. Just like purchasing used from private party, they want the sales tax on that... again. :mad:

OP
OP
Steveg137

Steveg137

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Marketing
I wish I could...
One idea is to get the dealer to charge higher sales tax so it's added to finance cost - reduces what you need to pay dmv in cash

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I have purchase a dozen new vehicles in 4 Canadian provinces In the last 40 years.
I never went to the DMV once - the sales person does it all.
Surprised the US sales don’t have this feature.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Considering the Gladiator is a 50 State Emissions Vehicle, that smog check is just a pure money grab.
Sponsored