Tire size change with tazer mini

TxGladiator

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Put on 285/70/17 tires and I’ve read a couple of different things on what size to change to on the tazer mini?
Thanks
Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Measure your tire, standards on actual tire diameter seem a bit sloppy.

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I used a couple of independent GPS units to verify my settings. Found it necessary to readjust a couple of times before all matched.
How far off from what you measured did you have to set the Tazer to be accurate? I'm having trouble getting mine set appropriately.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
How far off from what you measured did you have to set the Tazer to be accurate? I'm having trouble getting mine set appropriately.
Try measuring from the ground to the center of the wheel and then doubling. That should get you close, or at least at a good starting point. The diameter will vary with air pressure, and the manufacturers size listing is not always accurate.

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try measuring from the ground to the center of the wheel and then doubling. That should get you close, or at least at a good starting point. The diameter will vary with air pressure, and the manufacturers size listing is not always accurate.
Yeah, I measured using a 3ft level off the top center of the tire to get my measurement. My 315/70r17s measured at 33.25. Programmed that into the Tazer, but speedo still slow from actual (two different GPS apps) by about 1.5mph. Kept adjusting the tire size up... now programmed at 35" and still off by about 1.5mph. 🤷‍♂️

Wanted to see how far off you needed to adjust to get it right? I feel like it shouldn't need to be that far off.

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I measured using a 3ft level off the top center of the tire to get my measurement. My 315/70r17s measured at 33.25. Programmed that into the Tazer, but speedo still slow from actual (two different GPS apps) by about 1.5mph. Kept adjusting the tire size up... now programmed at 35" and still off by about 1.5mph. 🤷‍♂️

Wanted to see how far off you needed to adjust to get it right? I feel like it shouldn't need to be that far off.
Well... update this morning. Driving into work and now the speedo is 2mph off in the other direction (as I would have expected when set to 35") Weird. I guess it takes some time for the computer adjust and it doesn't happen immediately after changing the size setting and doing a full reboot... Gotta work on my patience I suppose!

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Yes, it will take some 'playing around' to get it right - I probably tweaked my Tazer setting 4-5 times before the speedo finally reconciled with other methods I was testing. Be patient - it most likely won't be the same as what you've measured directly.

Sponsored

Michael8780

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Gator Clear coat
Occupation
Self employed
I'm having the same issue where the Tazer doesn't lock in my tire settings even after several sleep cycles. I've changed the tires size so far extreme just to elicit some type of change but gps says I'm consistently 3 mpg over

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the same issue where the Tazer doesn't lock in my tire settings even after several sleep cycles. I've changed the tires size so far extreme just to elicit some type of change but gps says I'm consistently 3 mpg over
Do you have your phone connected to the USB port while trying to check the MPH calibration?

Mr.Wilson

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and a JL

I went round and round with the same issue. I ended up programming (as close as possible) as what ever the spec of the tire is. I tried the exact measurement method but the actual tire spec worked the best for me.

Michael8780

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Gator Clear coat
Occupation
Self employed
Do you have your phone connected to the USB port while trying to check the MPH calibration?
No but I do have and android auto dongle plugged in

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No but I do have and android auto dongle plugged in
It has been reported that if the phone has a connection to the truck, it will show the speed reported by the truck and not the speed being measured by the app.

A standalone GPS unit is probably the best way to test. Using the mile markers on the side of the freeway is another option. Look for one of those radar signs they deploy in school neighborhoods or construction areas.
Sponsored