Sponsored

Tire Size, Gear Ratio, Affect on Payload/Towing

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
So I have been reading up on having larger tires put in. I am thinking of getting 35s for my Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow Package. I came across a few things that I would like some help and clarification on.

When you change your tire size, you change the performance of the vehicle.

https://tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/

If I am reading the chart/tool in that page, and finding similar results in other websites, it looks like putting 35" tires on my Gladiator with a 4.10:1 gear ratio will give better fuel economy, but at the expense of power/towing.

I got the Sport with Max Towing instead of the Rubicon because I wanted the extra payload/towing. How much power/capability will the larger tires take away from my Jeep?

It seems that at some point making your truck more off-road worthy takes away from its ability as a truck. If I wanted 35s with the same approximate overall performance, I'd need a 4.56 gear ratio? I won't be messing with such modifications for a while. And if the towing/payload performance takes too big of a hit from a set of 35s and a 2" lift, I won't be doing those either.

Please advise/clarify
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So I have been reading up on having larger tires put in. I am thinking of getting 35s for my Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow Package. I came across a few things that I would like some help and clarification on.

When you change your tire size, you change the performance of the vehicle.

https://tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/

If I am reading the chart/tool in that page, and finding similar results in other websites, it looks like putting 35" tires on my Gladiator with a 4.10:1 gear ratio will give better fuel economy, but at the expense of power/towing.

I got the Sport with Max Towing instead of the Rubicon because I wanted the extra payload/towing. How much power/capability will the larger tires take away from my Jeep?

It seems that at some point making your truck more off-road worthy takes away from its ability as a truck. If I wanted 35s with the same approximate overall performance, I'd need a 4.56 gear ratio? I won't be messing with such modifications for a while. And if the towing/payload performance takes too big of a hit from a set of 35s and a 2" lift, I won't be doing those either.

Please advise/clarify
If you put on bigger tires it's like changing the gear ratio to a higher ratio (meaning smaller number than 4) . Fine you get fewer engine revs per mile and maybe better MPG - so you put in a different ratio - you are right back where you started with MPG - down again! You can't have it both ways. You either want more umph taking off with a load and give up MPG or get better MPG and give up the umph taking off with a load.
I know - we go back and forth with race cars - you can't change tires to bigger then compensate back with a lower gear ratio (a bigger number - it's inverse) - you end up right back where you started - EXCEPT larger tires may mean more rubber on the road, more friction, and even a taller tire, IF it's wider with a more aggressive tread, could net you the same or LESS MPG.
You have to make it good for one or the other - off-road or highway, strength and power at the low end for crawling, or MPG and ability on the highway.
Taller tires may be the same as going from a 4.10:1 ratio to a 3.87:1 ratio JUST AS AN EXAMPLE. But if the taller is also wider and more aggressive, well...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
By the way, in performance cars we talk like this -
Lower gear ratio - that means the ring gear has MORE teeth and the ratio is a BIGGER number. It's inverse.
Higher gear ratio is a SMALLER number - it's the number of turns of the pinion compared to the ring gear. If the pinion turns 4 times for every 1 time for the ring gear it's a 4:1 ratio.
Taller gears is a smaller number and a HIGHER gear ratio.
4.10:1 is a low gear ratio but a bigger number
3.15:1 is what my 73 Javelin has - higher gear ratio - means lower number numerically speaking. That is a taller gear than the 4.10
My Eagle SX4 has something like 2.87 or similar - I'd have to look.
My 70 I just sold came factory with 2.87:1 gears - automatics had taller gears. The dealer put in 3.15s back when the first owner bought it, a lower gear ratio. Man did that engine sing on the highway - 3600 rpm was pretty typical.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lower gear ratio - that means the ring gear has MORE teeth and the ratio is a BIGGER number. It's inverse.
Higher gear ratio is a SMALLER number - it's the number of turns of the pinion compared to the ring gear. If the pinion turns 4 times for every 1 time for the ring gear it's a 4:1 ratio.
3.15:1 is what my 73 Javelin has - higher gear ratio - means lower number numerically speaking. That is a taller gear than the 4.10
My 70 I just sold came factory with 2.87:1 gears - automatics had taller gears. The dealer put in 3.15s back when the first owner bought it, a lower gear ratio. Man did that engine sing on the highway - 3600 rpm was pretty typical.
Right. I dont want to affect my towing. I am willing to sacrifice mpgs. My question is: how much power/towing/payload do I lose by putting on 35s?

max toe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1998 audi

javelin photo request lol,,,please, both of yours

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All this means that if I win the lottery, I have to buy another Gladiator so I can have one for the highway, one for other fun....... dam............
Right. I dont want to affect my towing. I am willing to sacrifice mpgs. My question is: how much power/towing/payload do I lose by putting on 35s?
You may have more issues on hills - downshifting a lot more, trouble keeping up speed, with "taller tires". The engine will have to rev up more to make power on hills when pulling a load.
I wish my Chevy had a lower gear ratio - it's at 3.42 and that's a pretty tall gear (high ratio) for towing. As a result it downshifts a whole lot on I 80 east heading out of Iowa. If the gears were more like 3.8 or 4.x it would have more power pulling or hauling. It's the same as if the truck had taller tires on it - you cut down the engine revolutions per foot of travel - and put it into a lower RPM - less power. So it has to downshift to get the revs up to compensate. Also taking off with a load is harder with taller tires (or a higher gear ratio)
So if you tow or haul heavy stuff, taller tires will make the truck work harder to get going. You won't win any races taking off from a stop. Hills will tax it.
It will look cool - but will take away some of the grunt at low end.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All this means that if I win the lottery, I have to buy another Gladiator so I can have one for the highway, one for other fun....... dam............

You may have more issues on hills - downshifting a lot more, trouble keeping up speed, with "taller tires". The engine will have to rev up more to make power on hills when pulling a load.
I wish my Chevy had a lower gear ratio - it's at 3.42 and that's a pretty tall gear (high ratio) for towing. As a result it downshifts a whole lot on I 80 east heading out of Iowa. If the gears were more like 3.8 or 4.x it would have more power pulling or hauling. It's the same as if the truck had taller tires on it - you cut down the engine revolutions per foot of travel - and put it into a lower RPM - less power. So it has to downshift to get the revs up to compensate. Also taking off with a load is harder with taller tires (or a higher gear ratio)
So if you tow or haul heavy stuff, taller tires will make the truck work harder to get going. You won't win any races taking off from a stop. Hills will tax it.
It will look cool - but will take away some of the grunt at low end.
Thank you. Any idea as to how much performance hit regarding power/towing it will be hit by? 10%? 20% less?

How come folks dont talk about changing gears when they put on 37s or 40s with the 2-4” lifts? Do they just lose even more power for off-roading?

Does this summarize it well?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/the-dirt/a-guide-to-gearing/

"There are several ways to select the correct ring and pinion ratio. Many methods involve some basic math, formulas, and even charts. But the easiest way to figure out the right ratio is to lower it the same percentage you increased the tire diameter over stock. For example, imagine your 4×4 came from the factory with 32-inch tires and 4.10 axle gears. Upgrading to 37-inch tires would calculate to about a 16 percent increase in tire diameter. Increasing the 4.10 axle ratio by 16 percent would dictate the need of a 4.75 axle ratio to match the 37-inch tires. The exact axle ratio you need probably won’t be available, so it’s okay to round up when selecting the right ring and pinion. In this case, a 4.88 axle ratio would be acceptable. If math isn’t your best subject, don’t worry, there are charts available to help you choose the right axle ratio. Your local 4 Wheel Parts salesman can help you pick the correct ratio for your application too."

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
javelin photo request lol,,,please, both of yours
I am feeling sellers remorse a bit lately as the 70 is sold and just waiting for the truck to pick it up and take it home to Texas. But it's still in my garage until then so I can visit it for today and I can still look at the pictures.
A few years ago my brother started sending me text messages with pictures of the big body Javelins (the 71-74 years) and asking me what I thought. (at the time he had a 69 Javelin and a 70 Mustang convert) I thought it was looking at another car. I'm the car person in the family...
I'd find things wrong or like them but this or that...... finally he sent me a pic of a pretty nice one not far away and he asked "would you buy this car if you could" and I told him - brother, I can't afford another car now - you know that, it's cool but I don't have the money laying around for another now. I ended up looking at the pics and found that car while nice had been resurrected from parts - and the parts years didn't all match - 71 grill with 73 tail lights, etc.
He sent me another pic and link to an ad - and he again asked- what about this one? I said I love it but again, no way! That's even MORE expensive. He then said - I didn't ask that, I asked if you COULD would you? I said yea, love it and it's a PC Javelin. Then something hit me and I asked him - uh, what are you doing? He said " you told me one time you really liked those cars and wouldn't mind having one some day" I guess I forgot I had said that but I live the curved cockpit design, the dash wraps around the driver.
OK, Scot, why are you doing this?
Because you're my brother, and because I can.
Well this one was over even is budget - so I ended up paying a small amount. He rented a car and drove into WI, drove this car back and signed the title over to me. This is a car I can never sell and I just have to take care of it and do the best I can with it.

pc-rear-seat_01.jpg