Tired of the negativity. "The Jeep Gladiator is the Most Important Vehicle of 2019"

1. WhatExit?

WhatExit? Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
    Liked:
    The Jeep Gladiator Is the Most Important Vehicle of 2019
    DECEMBER 27, 2019 CARS By WILL SABEL COURTNEY Photo by HENRY PHILLIPS
    Jeep-Gladiator-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full.jpg

This story is part of the GP100, our annual roundup of the best products of the year. To see the full list of winners, grab the latest issue of Gear Patrol Magazine.

Americans love pickup trucks. They buy one every 12 seconds. And Americans love Jeeps. In 2018, the company just had its best sales year ever, moving almost a million vehicles in the U.S. alone. So clearly, the nation hungers for big vehicles with a commanding road presence and four-wheel-drive grip.

Yet in spite of a blatantly obvious opportunity to merge those two trends, Jeep went almost three decades without producing a vehicle with a metal bed hung behind the passenger seat — which explains why the company’s fans howled with delight when they glimpsed of the all-new Gladiator at the Los Angeles Auto Show at the end of last year, all but preemptively thrusting cash in Jeep’s direction. But it was only this spring that the truck finally launched, finally giving them the chance to do so.

Jeep-Gladiator-Gear-Patrol-Ambiance-1.jpg
    The Gladiator’s five-foot-long bed may be shorter than most pickup trucks’ beds, but it still provides incredible versatility.

Rather than attempt to build a new truck from the ground up, Jeep’s product planners and engineers chose to keep it simple, taking the four-door Wrangler — specifically, the all-new, more-refined JL generation — stretching out the wheelbase and affixing a metal box to the end of it.

The Wrangler-based design means all the parts and features that have elevated that model into an icon over the last few decades come along for the ride. Removable top? Present, in both soft and three-piece hard-top forms. Removable doors? Also in attendance, and every bit as easy to doff as they are on the Wrangler. A waterproof interior, designed to be easy to clean and boasting one of the most intuitive, convenient layouts in the industry? Standard on every one.

Jeep even offers the choice between manual and automatic gearboxes, making the Gladiator one of the last trucks sold in America to give drivers the option of rowing their own gears.

Further Reading
    2020 Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel Review: The Wrangler, Enhanced
    We Go Off-Roading in the All-New Jeep Gladiator Overland Pickup

But being a pickup truck means the Gladiator also can accomplish things its SUV sibling can’t — like towing up to 7,650 pounds (the Wrangler maxes out at 3,500). The five-foot-long bed boasts more cargo space than the trunk of its two-box brethren; plus, even with two or three adults aboard, it can still take on half a ton of gear. And options like an integrated 110-volt plug in the bed and an integrated Bluetooth speaker that charges from the car makes the Gladiator among the best tailgating rigs out there.

Jeep-Gladiator-Gear-Patrol-Ambiance-3.jpg
    It wouldn’t be a badass Jeep without flared fenders.

The added space between the axles does dock the Jeep’s off-road capability a tad. It’s easier to wind up high-centered on unfortunately placed hillocks and the breakover and departure angles of 20.3 and 26 degrees respectively mean it won’t be able to keep up with the Wrangler when the going gets really rough.

Still, that’s not enough to keep it from being every bit one of the most capable trucks on sale — especially in trail-conquering Rubicon form, which builds on the model’s inherent prowess by adding features like locking differentials, an electronic sway bar disconnect and a lower low range better suited for rock crawling.

Jeep-Gladiator-Gear-Patrol-Ambiance-2.jpg
    The red tow hook is a hallmark of the Rubicon trim, Jeep’s most off-road-ready version of the truck.

On the road — where, let’s face it, Jeeps spend most of their time — the Gladiator drives even better than the latest-generation Wrangler, which redefined on-road comfort for the model. Its long wheelbase gives the Gladiator delightful stability on the highway, making it a superior choice for long slogs behind the wheel. Added convenience features like radar-based active cruise control, blind-spot warning and parking sensors bring the sort of comfort not traditionally associated with trucks or Jeeps in particular. Hell, you can even pick one up with leather seats.

Granted, it’s easy to price this truck up to a total near $60,000 if you go buck wild on the options sheet or spend extra on official aftermarket accessories like lift kits and off-road lights. But play it smart, and you can snag a well-equipped one for around $45K — only a few thousand dollars more than the average new-car price nowadays. Considering you’re scoring an off-roader, a five-seat family car, a convertible and a pickup truck in one for that price, it’s hard to see that as anything but the deal of the year.

Powertrain: 3.6-liter V6 or 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6; six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic transmission; four-wheel-drive
    Horsepower: 285 (gasoline); 260 (diesel)
    Torque: 260 lb-ft (gasoline), 440 lb-ft (diesel)
    Price: $33,545+

2. Puttyandnapalm

Puttyandnapalm Well-Known Member

First Name:
    D
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Hydro blue gladiator overland—Gone:2011 mustang convertible, 2008 ram 1500
    Liked:
    that last line describes why I sold off my mustang convertible and my Dodge Ram

Oh and the roll your own gears line

3. Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    Retired
    Nice article. It does fail to mention that the windshield still folds down--using tools supplied with the vehicle, remove the wipers and four bolts (you can see the holes for them in the top of the frame) ...

Gladiator, Dec 19, CP_154346, Windshield Folded Down.jpg

JTguy2020, fuelcell1, No IFS and 5 others like this.
  4. shrinkhead

shrinkhead Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Gladiator Launch Edition
    Liked:
    Don't get the sense the JT is too expensive. Fully loaded Wrangler and Gladiator Rubicons cost the same btw. and I don't see people complain about those prices. This is a special truck that just takes a little more time to find its audience

5. Trippin01

Trippin01 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    Lexus RX450h, Hyundai Turbo Veloster, Land Rover Disco
    Liked:
    Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
    Garage Profiles:
    I could not be happier!

6. CRDave

CRDave New Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator
    Liked:
    Just received mine in Dec 20 2019 (Merry Christmas to me!). This thing is awesome. I have always been a Jeep/Truck guy, so this fits the bill perfectly.
    It was pricey, but you get what you pay for, and its only money, right?

20191221_130455 (1).jpg

JTguy2020, Gumidaka, Billy and 3 others like this.
  7. Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nirzwan
    Vehicle(s):
    Nissan rogue, triumph rocket iii roadster
    Liked:
    Yep, its got it all. I wanted a manual, convertible, off road capable, family carrying truck and i got it.

8. rolape2

rolape2 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Earl
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 F150 XLT FX4 (wifes); 2020 Jeep Gator Gladiator, Sport S, Max tow; 1988 Suzuki Samurai; 1994 BMW 325i Cabrio; 2004 Coachman Aurora Motorhome.
    Liked:
    I have been wanting another Jeep CJ/Wrangler since I sold my '79 CJ7. I have had Jeeps since then, but '77 Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wife's CRD Liberty. No Wrangler style. The only thing stopping me was we tow a boat, and no Wrangler ever had enough tow capacity. And them the built the Gladiator. I had to wait till the Gator was available, and now I own my dream. I gave up a Diesel F350 King Ranch to get this. People say I could have got a better deal on one of it's competitors or even a full size truck. I tell them there are no competitors. It is the only pick up made that can go topless.!.!.!.!.!.!. My wife drivers an F150, she loves it, but she likes driving my Gladiator also. I have a feeling we might be a 2 Gladiator family come next summer.

9. jwilson2899

jwilson2899 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
    Liked:
    System Engineer
    Except they didn't do that at all...it is a different truck

10. MrJeep

MrJeep Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle(s):
    2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
    Liked:
    Thanks for sharing.
    After two months, I have to say. I get more comments from strangers about this JT than any other I've owned in 25 yrs and I'm a bit of a car nut.
    My wife gets even more when she drives it for obvious reasons.
    My wife jokingly and affectionately calls it the Mullet of the Jeep world.
    Business up front, party in the back!
    Al

11. No IFS

No IFS Active Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JL Rubicon 2 Door / 2021 JT Rubicon
    Liked:
    It’s definitely a special vehicle in a class all of its own. I can’t wait to get mine.

12. ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JT Overland; 2018 Grand Cherokee; 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition; 1970 Javelin(sold); 1973 Javelin; 1982 Eagle SX4
    Liked:
    Retired auto tech, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
    Garage Profiles:
    We used to say -

"There are those who say you can't take it with you - BS - I'm going with travelers checks, I can cash 'em all over hell."

But these days, who has even heard of them?

13. Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nirzwan
    Vehicle(s):
    Nissan rogue, triumph rocket iii roadster
    Liked:
    I remember taking them with me almost 20 years ago and not being able to use them hardly at all. I think they just stopped bothering with them right?

14. kelkolb

kelkolb Member

First Name:
    Kelley
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Sport S
    Liked:
    How is it not? It's a JL front half, lengthened chassis with rear suspension from a RAM.

15. kyle82502

kyle82502 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2006 jeep liberty limited
    Liked:
    the chassis is not just lengthened but it is a completely new chassis. and the grill is deferent to allow for more cooling

jwilson2899 likes this.