Sponsored

Tires got expensive!

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Im seeing 35x12.5x17 tires hovering around $400 a tire! I know, supply chain issues. I picked up my 5-set of Falken MTs in May 2020 for $280 a tire. Seeing them go for over $400 now (some places $380 but unknown shipping costs...) is a bit of a surprise.

I fortunately have 2 unused tires. One is the spare, the other has never been mounted. My current 4 are at about 35k miles and appear half worn. I expect them to last another 25k miles at the rate I am going, or another 1-2y. I am thinking of mounting the 2 unused tires and using them in the back until I get more even wear, using the current 2 rear half-worn tires as "spares". What say you guys and gals on this idea? Or should I just wait another year or 2 and buy 2 tires new? Was kinda hoping to switch to Geolandar G003s for the next set.

ETA: at 12-14 32nds tread depth on my tires. Factory is a whopping 21! Falken states to replace at 2/32nds but other places say to replace mud terrains at 6/32 for snow and 4/32 in general, so I'll call it 5/32" as when to replace ideally. That means the tires have a 16/32 of lifespan. I have used 7-9 32nd of tread, or 43-56% of tread life. Regardless, I have 7-9 tread remaining, so hopefully another 35k miles (I do offroad on mud/rocks a few times a year, in my 1st year I went every weekend for a few months)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
i see 2 options.
1- buy 2 new ones now to match the 2 current new ones to put on when you wear out.
2- as you mentioned, rotate them in to wear all 6 tires the same. This should extend your current wear by around 35%

badger719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Go with skinny 35s. I paid $165 per tire for Kenda Klever RT in 35/10.5/17.

I actually prefer the look and they seem to do better in deep snow. There's a thread on here with people who are running this tire and the consensus is that they are a steal.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go with skinny 35s. I paid $165 per tire for Kenda Klever RT in 35/10.5/17.

I actually prefer the look and they seem to do better in deep snow. There's a thread on here with people who are running this tire and the consensus is that they are a steal.
I have seen a few folks on the trails running those. They don't do as well as the Falkens

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Im seeing 35x12.5x17 tires hovering around $400 a tire! I know, supply chain issues. I picked up my 5-set of Falken MTs in May 2020 for $280 a tire. Seeing them go for over $400 now (some places $380 but unknown shipping costs...) is a bit of a surprise.

I fortunately have 2 unused tires. One is the spare, the other has never been mounted. My current 4 are at about 35k miles and appear half worn. I expect them to last another 25k miles at the rate I am going, or another 1-2y. I am thinking of mounting the 2 unused tires and using them in the back until I get more even wear, using the current 2 rear half-worn tires as "spares". What say you guys and gals on this idea? Or should I just wait another year or 2 and buy 2 tires new? Was kinda hoping to switch to Geolandar G003s for the next set.
How have you rotated them in the 35k miles? Surprised to hear the rears are more worn than the fronts.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Not sure how long it's been since you bought them but dry rot is real. If you are talking about leaving a tire unused for 4+ years I'd start them in to the tire rotation instead as I had a set of snow tires go bad in less than 5 years from lack of being used.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure how long it's been since you bought them but dry rot is real. If you are talking about leaving a tire unused for 4+ years I'd start them in to the tire rotation instead as I had a set of snow tires go bad in less than 5 years from lack of being used.
As stated in original post, May 2020 so a year and a half ago

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How have you rotated them in the 35k miles? Surprised to hear the rears are more worn than the fronts.
Rotated every 5k miles, though one time I went 10k without rotation. The wear on the passenger side is actually greater than the driver, it's 14-15 32nds on the driver side front and read, and 12 32nds on the passenger front and rear. No idea why, there is more weight on the driver side with me, my kid in the back, and gear as opposed to just the wife riding shotgun

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Rotated every 5k miles, though one time I went 10k without rotation. The wear on the passenger side is actually greater than the driver, it's 14-15 32nds on the driver side front and read, and 12 32nds on the passenger front and rear. No idea why, there is more weight on the driver side with me, my kid in the back, and gear as opposed to just the wife riding shotgun
Just front to back rotating? I have always cross rotated, drivers front to pass rear and vice versa, pass front to drivers rear and vice versa. So far pretty even wear.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
Good catch!
I’d rotate them in

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just front to back rotating? I have always cross rotated, drivers front to pass rear and vice versa, pass front to drivers rear and vice versa. So far pretty even wear.
However the tire shop does it. I don't have a stable enough surface to do a rotation.

Sorry missed that, check the tire date as well, they may have sat in a warehouse for awhile before that too.
The were new tires. 2020 mfg date.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Do you want quiet tires or even wear?

Front to back keeps them more quiet.