Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Just a question because I haven't had the tire checked completely yet at a tire shop. I had a tire over night lose about 9lbs of psi, went from 33 to 24 when I got in this morning. I thought it just needed some air because it was 70 and then 34 this morning but I did think it was weird that it lost that much. Anyway when turned off my road it went from 24 down to 7 and stayed at 7. I turned around and went back to the house and put the psi back to 33lbs. Looked at tire, rolled the jeep forward and back to inspect it, didn't hear anything or see anything in it. Drove about 33 miles on it to work this morning and it seems to be holding at 32lbs. It is possible the bead broke and then when I put air back in it, it held air again. Not sure if turning could of broken the bead or not, just wondering if anyone else ever had this happen, 1st time for me. I'm going to let it sit at work until lunch and see where it's at in a few hours.

For reference it's a 37 12.5 17 size tire, not sure if that matters or not.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know what you mean by "losing bead", but its certainly losing air.

For what most tire shops charge for a repair its not worth even bothering yourself.

One quick check that is an easy diy fix is if its leaking at the valve body. Spritz some windex on the open valve and look for bubbles. (or smear some saliva, that works too).

If you really want to find the leak, its time to spritz the entire in windex or fantastic or 409 or some kind of liquid soap and look for bubbles. Most likely places for the leak are on the tread or in or around the valve.

I wouldn't bring it to the dealer because they will charge you $100/hr to find it.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know what you mean by "losing bead", but its certainly losing air.

For what most tire shops charge for a repair its not worth even bothering yourself.

One quick check that is an easy diy fix is if its leaking at the valve body. Spritz some windex on the open valve and look for bubbles. (or smear some saliva, that works too).

If you really want to find the leak, its time to spritz the entire in windex or fantastic or 409 or some kind of liquid soap and look for bubbles. Most likely places for the leak are on the tread or in or around the valve.

I wouldn't bring it to the dealer because they will charge you $100/hr to find it.
I did that this morning didn't find anything or hear anything. Did it again this morning at work off the jeep with a buddy of mine helping me out and we didn't see or hear anything either. I have heard you can pop the bead lose on a tire before from others, like it come off the rim, but I just find it weird that it did started losing more pressure when I turned. I had a buddy have one come off the wheel on a trail one time. It took a while but a few of us was able to get it back on the wheel and put air back in it and it held for another 2yrs, until he replaced the tires. Not saying that's what happened but soaked it down pretty good with Windex and saw no bubbles, and didn't see anything around the stem either.

I got a place that will look at it for free for me and repair it for $25 If it's got a hole in it. I just don't understand how it's holding air now and lost air sitting last night unless someone let air out if it in my driveway

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did that this morning didn't find anything or hear anything. Did it again this morning at work off the jeep with a buddy of mine helping me out and we didn't see or hear anything either. I have heard you can pop the bead lose on a tire before from others, like it come off the rim, but I just find it weird that it did started losing more pressure when I turned. I had a buddy have one come off the wheel on a trail one time. It took a while but a few of us was able to get it back on the wheel and put air back in it and it held for another 2yrs, until he replaced the tires. Not saying that's what happened but soaked it down pretty good with Windex and saw no bubbles, and didn't see anything around the stem either.

I got a place that will look at it for free for me and repair it for $25 If it's got a hole in it. I just don't understand how it's holding air now and lost air sitting last night unless someone let air out if it in my driveway
Someone letting air out wouldn't be the strangest thing to happen. Beads shifting and coming off simply doesn't happen at 30ish PSI. I'm not saying air can't leak at the bead to rim seam, but its VERY unlikely on a Gladiator. Simply because corrosion is typically what cause that kind of leak and Gladiators aren't old enough to have corrosion on the rims.

At least with the TPMS you can track pressure over the next few days.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It might be possible, depending on the road and your driving, but you really shouldnā€™t lose a bead on the road at 24 psi. I frequently drive home from wheeling on 15 psi, as long as Iā€™m not doing highway speeds. Something else seems up. Maybe you were really at 7 already, and your TPMS hadnā€™t registered it yet?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
It might be possible, depending on the road and your driving, but you really shouldnā€™t lose a bead on the road at 24 psi. I frequently drive home from wheeling on 15 psi, as long as Iā€™m not doing highway speeds. Something else seems up. Maybe you were really at 7 already, and your TPMS hadnā€™t registered it yet?
Maybe, could be the case, not sure. Seems like it didn't start going down until I made the left off the road but very well could of registered 7 then. I find it weird that it stayed at 7 until I got turned around and drive the half mile back to the house. It never dropped below 7 which kinda makes me believe some one may have let the air out of it. I need to recharge my ring cameras in the front, they have been dead for about 6 days and I haven't had the time to charge the batteries. I think it's time today.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
If it lost air, then stopped after you added air, your valve stem is leaking.
Sometimes it'll get a little junk under the seat, and air can clear it out.
Anything else wouldn't go away, and no, you probably didn't break the bead by turning.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
If it lost air, then stopped after you added air, your valve stem is leaking.
Sometimes it'll get a little junk under the seat, and air can clear it out.
Anything else wouldn't go away, and no, you probably didn't break the bead by turning.
Seems like maybe that's it. I got the old valve stems from the Goodyear 37's I previously was running at the house so if it's a bad Valve stem I'll just have Discount replace it with one of those. I'm going to keep and eye on it over the next few days and see what happens. If I can get off work in time I'll stop by my guys shop and see if he can check it.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Seems like maybe that's it. I got the old valve stems from the Goodyear 37's I previously was running at the house so if it's a bad Valve stem I'll just have Discount replace it with one of those. I'm going to keep and eye on it over the next few days and see what happens. If I can get off work in time I'll stop by my guys shop and see if he can check it.
If it's the valve stem (and it's not cut), its more likely the valve core. Every real Jeeper should have a valve core remover and spare valve cores anyway, so maybe try that of it continues?

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Off-topic, but where do you typically go? I went to Prentice Cooper last weekend.

OP, do you prehaps have a nail?

Get a spray bottle, some dish soap, and add water, then spray all over the tire. Including the tread. You can spray around the bead too.

Does your Gladiator's tire feel out of balance? Steering wheel shake = front tires. Seat shake = rear tires.

You could also have a bent wheel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Off-topic, but where do you typically go? I went to Prentice Cooper last weekend.

OP, do you prehaps have a nail?

Get a spray bottle, some dish soap, and add water, then spray all over the tire. Including the tread. You can spray around the bead too.

Does your Gladiator's tire feel out of balance? Steering wheel shake = front tires. Seat shake = rear tires.

You could also have a bent wheel.
Already sprayed it down with Windex all over with the tire off the jeep when I got to work this morning including the valve stem. No shake either, jeep is in perfect alignment as far as I can tell. I walked out a few minutes ago and cranked it and tire pressure is still holding at 32psi. I'll drive it up the road in a hour and check it again

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
If it's the valve stem (and it's not cut), its more likely the valve core. Every real Jeeper should have a valve core remover and spare valve cores anyway, so maybe try that of it continues?
Iā€™ve got a hundred spare valve stems and two core tools. Saved my ass a couple weeks ago. Wouldnā€™t go off-road without ā€˜emā€¦

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Do you go wheeling a lot? If so, you may have debris in your bead. It happens to me all the time with my JK on 255/80-17 KM2s aired down to around 12-14 psi. I've found dirt, small stones, bark, twigs, etc. jammed into the beads, mostly the outer beads. If it is a slow leak when aired down, many times airing up the tires will stop or slow the leak. When I get a chance, I break the bead(s) using a BeadBuster, clean them and re-seat the bead(s).

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Do you go wheeling a lot? If so, you may have debris in your bead. It happens to me all the time with my JK on 255/80-17 KM2s aired down to around 12-14 psi. I've found dirt, small stones, bark, twigs, etc. jammed into the beads, mostly the outer beads. If it is a slow leak when aired down, many times airing up the tires will stop or slow the leak. When I get a chance, I break the bead(s) using a BeadBuster, clean them and re-seat the bead(s).
No haven't had it off road really in a about 5 months and when I did I was just like a few fire roads, I didn't air down. I'm leaning toward it being a valve stem issue or someone let air out of it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No haven't had it off road really in a about 5 months and when I did I was just like a few fire roads, I didn't air down. I'm leaning toward it being a valve stem issue or someone let air out of it.
If you have a valve core wrench you may want to unscrew it a few turns until it is leaking a good amount. This may blow anything out. Then reseat it.

(If you don't have a valve stem wrench, get one)
Sponsored

Last edited: