Sponsored

To air down or not to air down

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
so I was testing my new lights and lift/tires at a local spot that has two nice lines that get really steep to the end and are classic chunky rutted out New England rock crawling tech up in VT. Since it was dark and cold with some snow still on the ground I did not air down and the truck had no issues with grip or traction. One section the rear pushes the front over a steep boulder and then the front pulls up the truck. No issues with 30PSI. That line is as gnarly as I ever will ever go so it makes we wonder if it's even worth the hassle to air down if not going for the most extreme terrain (and I have onboard air lol).

Do you guys always air down when going rock crawling? I was thinking loosing that inch of ground clearance might not be worth it for gaining traction the truck doesn't need?
Sponsored

ArloGuthroJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTRD
It is so much more comfortable to be aired down...I'd say if spending more than an hour or so 4-wheeling, then airing down is easily worth it.

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
A couple of things on airing down.
- Airing down allows the tire to flex which reduces the chance of puncture or tear. A recommendation is to air down at least 5psi.
- Not all 4wheeling requires low tire pressure. Some obstacles can be easily navigated due to wheel base, short or long. But see the first point.
- Snow/ice: It is best to air down as the tire will have more traction. Next time you are out hit the brakes or gas pedal hard and feel the amount of slip. Lower by 5psi and do the same and see if there is a difference. Another 5psi and so on. There will be a difference.
- I typically air down when 4wheeling, but how much depends on what I am doing. Hard core and lots of air down to maybe 5psi. Camping and a lot of weight, maybe down to 25psi, it depends on the terrain and weather conditions.

As for losing clearance when aired down. Yes, but you often gain more traction to offset the difference and you also place the vehicle so you don't bottom out. The differential tunnel is what you want to avoid banging on obstacles. Then other low points, transfer case area, exhaust, fuel tank, and so on. This is a part of the technical side of driving off road.

It is not always required, but it is good practice especially if you are going to be out for a while.

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Thanks for that. I like going 5psi at a time to experience the differences and benefits
Sponsored