Sponsored

To Re-gear or Not to Re-gear

Student12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Just installed a hard tonneau cover (70 lbs) and I'm looking to add on 33's to the Sport S, from the factory I got 3.73 gears but I'm noticing that I may need to re-gear to 4.10 to avoid transmission problems.

I heard that it's pricey, Do I even need to re-gear ?
Sponsored

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland
I wouldn't regear for 33's unless you are planning on carrying more weight (bumpers, winch, etc). I went from 32's to 35's and still haven't done it but will in the near future.

OffroadAlliance.com

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Premiere Offroad Shop!
As stated above, you won't need to regear for 33's unless you find yourself adding extra weight to the truck. 35's I'd think a little bit more about it but you're good on 33's.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed a hard tonneau cover (70 lbs) and I'm looking to add on 33's to the Sport S, from the factory I got 3.73 gears but I'm noticing that I may need to re-gear to 4.10 to avoid transmission problems.

I heard that it's pricey, Do I even need to re-gear ?
I ran Rubicon tires and wheels on my Overland with the stock 3.73 gears - absolutely zero issues. No need to regear anything for 33s. Hundreds of people run Rubicon tires on their Overland and Sport Gladiators.

As stated above, you won't need to regear for 33's unless you find yourself adding extra weight to the truck. 35's I'd think a little bit more about it but you're good on 33's.
You would have to add a hell of a lot of weight for it to matter. I've hauled 1,000+ pounds in mine with Rubicon 33s on it, no issues. You may not see 8th quite as often depending on your speed and hills but if I can haul a thousand plus pounds, run a steel bumper, steel skid plate and 80 pound winch on mine with 3.73 gears and 33s - that means he could add a couple hundred pounds or more and be fine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't regear for 33's unless you are planning on carrying more weight (bumpers, winch, etc). I went from 32's to 35's and still haven't done it but will in the near future.
Won't matter. Steel bumper, winch and skid plate may add 150-170 pounds. Been there, done that, AND hauled over 1,000 pounds, all on 33" tires.

Bottom line - I have an Overland. I put a steel bumper on the front, steel skid plate and a heavy Apex winch (winch alone is over 80 pounds).
My Overland is loaded - all options so it's heavy for an Overland.
I was running 33" Rubicon take-offs (tires and wheels) for months. \
During that time I hauled one load of a bit over 1,000 pounds of landscaping block in the back, and another time I was heavier.
All with stock 3.73 gears.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, @Gvsukids I was TOO heavy. Payload just shy of 1100 pounds, figure the first load was 1,025 plus the 150 extra of the winch and bumper put me at 1,175
Over spec but it was all back roads, very little highway and I did watch the speed - kept it below speed limits.
Then the other time was purely by accident. You don't wanna know what I had in the truck that time.

OffroadAlliance.com

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Premiere Offroad Shop!
I ran Rubicon tires and wheels on my Overland with the stock 3.73 gears - absolutely zero issues. No need to regear anything for 33s. Hundreds of people run Rubicon tires on their Overland and Sport Gladiators.

You would have to add a hell of a lot of weight for it to matter. I've hauled 1,000+ pounds in mine with Rubicon 33s on it, no issues. You may not see 8th quite as often depending on your speed and hills but if I can haul a thousand plus pounds, run a steel bumper, steel skid plate and 80 pound winch on mine with 3.73 gears and 33s - that means he could add a couple hundred pounds or more and be fine.
Absolutely agree.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I went to 37 inch milestar Patagonia tires with no problems I just recalibrated my speedometer and the computer gas gauge is showing 18 miles to the gallon I donā€™t plan on regearing
What gearing do you currently have on your gladiator?