Sponsored

To trade or not, what would you do.........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
and if yes, how would you handle the things I've changed or installed.........
Trick question, no right or wrong answers, I guess.
It started when I was discussing with my wife about how the market on used vehicles has been, and that's been supported by emails and phone calls - dealers trying to buy our vehicles.
My wife said - well, maybe you could start over with 0 miles and full warranty.
So I started kicking tires.
As posted in another thread, I hit carvana, carmax and driveway. Prices ranged from 37,500 to 44,190
Trade range was a tad higher.
Top private sale I looked up was something up to 49,000. I think middle was 47,000 or similar.
NADA is 44,600 for clean trade.

I originally got a number of 40,500 from a local dealer, one calling me saying we want to buy your truck. I chuckled and walked out.
I've gotten called twice since then, and today the same place, this time a sales manager said "what if I gave you 44,000, would you be interested?"
I said - if you can match some numbers I've gotten from another dealer, we might talk. (the other dealer isn't interested in trading but gave a really good price on selling me one)
Mine is a 2020 built November 2019. 25,600 miles (soon to be 25,700 miles)

So my wife and I were talking, if I could get the numbers close enough where I would be needing to come up with roughly $12,000 - maybe it would be worth it. Maybe.

But the complications come in with all of the changes I've made. Many things can be easily removed - redline tuning hood struts, tailgate ladder, yellow fog lights, Oracle backup lights, etc. - I can take off.
But I have the five newer General A/Tx tires with matching 5th rim for spare, front steel bumper, winch, Rubicon front springs, max tow rear springs, Daystar 3/4" spacers, fox shocks, MOPAR brake controller, dead pedal, cargo rails, MOPAR lower control arms (lift kit LCAs) and other odds and ends. Probably between 2 and 3 grand of stuff (cheap by most of YOUR standard LOL!) Winches have gone up since I bought this one so I'd likely remove it for sure.
Some stuff could be swapped back, some could be removed, but the other stuff would be harder to do and time consuming.

It might be an easier decision but the mods and swaps make it harder, especially the 5 matching wheels and tires and spring swap. I did all the work myself, luckily.

First - am I being logical on the price spread for the miles and such,
secondly, geesh, what about all of the mods.............
Sponsored

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
I've been in your position. After some time thinking about the issue, I decided that since I already had what I wanted with my JT the time and effort of removing the modifications just wasn't worth it to me. Wish you luck with your choice. You have a nice looking rig.

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
One reason I never sold my original wheels and tires. I would have done the trade if I had a decent dealer anywhere in Florida to work with. But unfortunately, always some scam with them. Same exact boat, warranty ends in 1 year, 2 years newer. Have some mods I haven't done yet so it would have been cool but I don't have time for these jackasses.

The majority of the 22's are still in transit, so waiting until a few I like hit and will try one more time. Otherwise, i'll just keep it. Where you are with a different sales tax scenario, i'd probably do it if they come off of MSRP about 4k.

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
SP, Iā€™ve seen some of your posts and can tell that youā€™re a logical guy. It really comes down to how froggy you feel, your appetite for risk and how much you like twisting your wrench.

Myself, Iā€˜ve got some mod parts waiting in my garage for an inbound unit that Iā€™ll likely take if the sky doesnā€™t fall in x-y weeks from now. Iā€™m not loosing sleep from worry, just stating that there are variables that I think I can plan for and some that maybe I can only guess about or cross my fingers on. Saying that, I believe fortunate favors the bold, not to mention the lucky and/or smart.

As for hunches, I canā€™t help but think prices will sharply increase and I do think that there is cause for concern of more shortages. So, a well negotiated and price locked order may be your best friend.

endurojeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I was in your shoes. I traded I had a 2020 black rubicon with 30 rounds on it. left the lift springs in and gears. removed the metal cloak control arms put my 38's on the stock rims and said bye bye Phelicia. They gave me 50k in trade I paid 42k new as a demo. But the reasons were probably different. My tires were half worn I was out of the free oil changes and I really wanted white with tan leather interior. I paid 9k to boot for a 2 year newer jeep with 30k less miles leather interior and 8.4 screen and I absolutely love the adaptive cruise oh and front trail cam

Sponsored

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
Mods are worth very little at the time of resale. You do them for you. If mods make you happy, do them. But they don't add a lot of value. If you have the $$$ and want a new JT then do it but remember that mods cost more now and can take a while.

Frenzy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Manager
I was in your shoes. I traded I had a 2020 black rubicon with 30 rounds on it. left the lift springs in and gears. removed the metal cloak control arms put my 38's on the stock rims and said bye bye Phelicia. They gave me 50k in trade I paid 42k new as a demo. But the reasons were probably different. My tires were half worn I was out of the free oil changes and I really wanted white with tan leather interior. I paid 9k to boot for a 2 year newer jeep with 30k less miles leather interior and 8.4 screen and I absolutely love the adaptive cruise oh and front trail cam
Best decision IMO.

Tart_Cart

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 STI, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Travel HCW
I have to imagine its almost just a days work to swap all those parts back to stock no? and cant imagine its hard to find oem springs, bumper, and wheels being people are usually almost throwing them away. Personally if the $$$ lines up to be in a newer truck for next to nothing I dont see why you wouldnt do it unless there is sentimental reasoning.

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I feel like I would rather spend the 9-12k on my current gladiator, vs starting all over again. You could do a lot to a gladiator with 12k.

Frenzy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Manager
Last summer I sold a very well maintained and lightly wheeled 2012 JK Rubicon with only 39,000 miles, and which had an additional $60K in mods, for $42K. Considering mod value is pretty much insignificant to most folks, it was not that bad of a deal. In January I purchased a 2022 JT Rubicon so I can start all over again with Build #4. My utilization objectives and what makes my happy about my rig changes over time, but the main driver for me was last year we were selling/buying homes to upgrade and I needed to liquidate assets to maximize our purchase power.

I can't recommend a decision but will try to help you assess some relevant factors.
  1. Ask yourself: hind sight being 20/20, now that you have two years of experience building a JT, what have you learned, and would you select significantly different mods for the parts you would leave with the old Jeep or repurchase those exact same ones?
  2. What is the order of priority for most important decision drivers: saving money, having brand new 2022 JT which may have different options, or ultimate degree of happiness/satisfaction with your build, etc.?
  3. How much wear on parts does the old Jeep have, how well has it been maintained, how many times has it hit the trails, what was the difficulty of those trails and how hard did you wheel it?
  4. How much of a devalue factor would you attribute to 30K miles usage and 2 model years old, maybe you'd put $8K to $10K on that?

endurojeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Last summer I sold a very well maintained and lightly wheeled 2012 JK Rubicon with only 39,000 miles, and which had an additional $60K in mods, for $42K. Considering mod value is pretty much insignificant to most folks, it was not that bad of a deal. In January I purchased a 2022 JT Rubicon so I can start all over again with Build #4. My utilization objectives and what makes my happy about my rig changes over time, but the main driver for me was last year we were selling/buying homes to upgrade and I needed to liquidate assets to maximize our purchase power.

I can't recommend a decision but will try to help you assess some relevant factors.
  1. Ask yourself: hind sight being 20/20, now that you have two years of experience building a JT, what have you learned, and would you select significantly different mods for the parts you would leave with the old Jeep or repurchase those exact same ones?
  2. What is the order of priority for most important decision drivers: saving money, having brand new 2022 JT which may have different options, or ultimate degree of happiness/satisfaction with your build, etc.?
  3. How much wear on parts does the old Jeep have, how well has it been maintained, how many times has it hit the trails, what was the difficulty of those trails and how hard did you wheel it?
  4. How much of a devalue factor would you attribute to 30K miles usage and 2 model years old, maybe you'd put $8K to $10K on that?
Exactly how I looked at it I upgraded the factory parts I wanted on the new one and kept any of the mods I plan on using on the next one. Before that I looked at what it would cost to make those changes to the old one and it was a wash pretty much but I would have had a 2 yr old jeep with 30k miles instead of a new one with 0 miles

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I've considered selling mine a few times. Three things have stop me, one is the extra money I'll pay for the same Jeep in 2022 compared to what I paid for mine. I was out the door at $37,100 on my 2020, I would be around $43000 to $44000 now. Two I really don't want to start over on another build, I like how mine rides and looks and the fact that's it's been pretty much problem free. I have considered purchasing an extended warranty which would give me some piece of mind if anything would happen. Mines out of warranty now with 47,500 miles on it. Three would be no Gator color and I'm a fan of the color.

It's been tempting though. I was offered $40,000 cash offer for mine 4 weeks ago when I was having my oil changed at Hendricks. Gerrywoods and Randy Marion both told me they would match that price without even seeing it and Gerrywoods told me Friday when they called that they may can do better if they see it. Like I said it's tempting but the starting over on basically the same truck seems pointless to me. If they offered a Hemi or even the Inline 6 in one, then I may would be more interested in doing it and probably would consider a different color and wouldn't mind it as much.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
If you have to dish out more money for essentially the same vehicle you already have only to have a fresh warranty makes me wonder how much maintenance you could afford with those $12,000 you have to come up with. Alsoā€¦ It makes me wonder how many mods you could add for $12,000?

Like you said, there is no right or wrong answer. I was talking to my salesman in Idaho this week as we picked up a truck for a close friend of mine. He said I would probably make money on my truck if there was a different color that I really wanted. Thankfully Jeep only brought back Gobi and not gator for this model year so it is not a problem for me. šŸ¤£
Sponsored