Tonneau cover plus Roof Rack

The 1

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
I have the hard Tri fold mopar tonneau cover. I love it, but would like to install a roof rack to use at the same time. Seems like that isn’t an option. Anyone have the same thought?
Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
I have the hard Tri fold mopar tonneau cover. I love it, but would like to install a roof rack to use at the same time. Seems like that isn’t an option. Anyone have the same thought?
Probably not with the Tri-Fold.

But there are other hard covers that may work. Retrax works with Yakima.

Diamondback can be modfied for a rack.

I'm working on something with an Ace Upper Decker...

celkins7072

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geologist
I will watch this threat because I just asked the same question a few minutes ago. Been looking all over. I don't have a cover yet so I'm trying to not put the cart before the horse.

ZSchribs22

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I will watch this threat because I just asked the same question a few minutes ago. Been looking all over. I don't have a cover yet so I'm trying to not put the cart before the horse.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JTBR.html

Check out this link. JCR off-road makes a roof rack that works with some roll-up tonneau covers. I just have an Extang 2.0 trifold cover on my bed right now and I love it.

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
I've throw together some DIY designs in my head, but still hoping for an affordable, stout rack that can still utilize a tri fold tonneau

Sponsored

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
Member @RodRecket has a Voodoo Crossmember setup that might be ideal for my situation. I'll be able to install and utilize one side of the tonneau cover using these with a RTT.

Jeep Gladiator Tonneau cover plus Roof Rack 1592334064683

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
The way i have it set up is ideal for my situation with a rolling tonneau. You could reduce the space between rails giving you more room to open a tri-fold but i dont know how this would affect the sturdiness of the RTT. Here's a pic from camping
Member @RodRecket has a Voodoo Crossmember setup that might be ideal for my situation. I'll be able to install and utilize one side of the tonneau cover using these with a RTT.
. The setup worked great.

20200418_151304.jpg

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I spoke with the folks at max mod. The rack for the gladiator will work with the trifold Mopar cover sort of. You can mount the rack but you cannot open the tonneau cover

Sponsored

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
I spoke with the folks at max mod. The rack for the gladiator will work with the trifold Mopar cover sort of. You can mount the rack but you cannot open the tonneau cover
That is the setup I have. You can kind of see the setup in my profile pic. When I am not carrying my RTT and need full functionality of the bed, I just remove the crossbars by removing 4 bolts (they have a plastic knob)...no tools required. Not perfect, but works for my use.

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
So I finally got my brackets fabricated for my Ace Upper Decker.

I still need to prime and paint the whole set-up (bars, towers, hardware), but here is a pic for now.

The Custom Camping Concepts towers (with cross bars)have been welded to a bracket that attaches into the Ace Upper Decker. Total overkill, but each bracket has 4 bolts on top going into the Decker, and 3 (with washers) in the side holes. It is not going anywhere.

When I reinstall, I will probably not even use all of the bolts - depends on how long it takes me to put them on and take them off!

Once I prime and paint, I'll be getting a Roof Top Tent for this, but I'd also be able to use a Roof basket, or anythign I want with those bars.

Jeep Gladiator Tonneau cover plus Roof Rack Jeep with Decker and Bars.JPG

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
So I have finally gotten my rack parts painted, and my Roof Top Tent arrived, and it's all now put together.

In sum, I have:
1) Ace Engineering Upper Decker
2) Custom Camping Concepts Towers and Bars
3) Welded plates on the Towers that bolt to the Upper Decker
4) Front Runner Rooftop Tent and Annex

It all works great. My only issue overall is that the Upper Decker will no longer stay up all on its own, due to the total weight. I can open it, but I'll need to get something to hold it open if I need it that way temporarily.

All in all, though, I am very happy with the set-up. Driving at speed shows little noise, even with my Bestop sunrider open. Pleny of space in the bed (under the Upper Decker) and on top of the Decker (under the tent). Pleny of visibility out of the back window.

Now just to get out camping!

Jeep Tent (Packed 1).jpg

Jeep Tent (Packed 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 1).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Opened.jpg

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I think what I want is the trail rail system for everyday truck use, a roll up or trifold tonneau cover that gives me as much access to the bed as possible- maybe trifold can carry some external load but not sure how I would secure anything to it? and the ability to have a rack capable of accepting accessories to carry bikes or cargo shell and possible be raised high enough to carry lumber over the cab? I remember years ago I think Thule made telescoping posts? My though was posts or rack mounts and tonneau can be on all the time and I can carry crossmembers in the bed or leave in the garage for when I need to carry whatever it is I’m trying to carry. I’m kind of overwhelmed it’s all of the options out there and trying to figure out if this is doable and what is compatible. Has anyone done something similar? I had a track rack on an old dodge years ago but I don’t think I’d like the look of that and it would be too high for a bike. Any info is much appreciated. The cross bars would probably only be used occasionally for road trip vacations or long lumber run to HD