Took jeep in for steering problem and now they are rebuilding the motor

trgundersen

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
About 6 weeks ago now, I took my jeep in for the steering issue that everyone has been talking about. They were going to replace the part and I would get the truck back the same day. Fast forward 6 weeks, and they have now replaced the camshafts in the motor. I have a truck with 5,000 miles on it, and now it has a rebuilt motor. I'm really not happy. Jeep customer service is the worst. Speaking to people outside the country with heavy accents. This was my first jeep, I wanted one forever. I ordered it with everything - sting gray - mopar 2 inch lift 38" tires - rockslide step sliders. It was awesome, but now I am thinking what a waste of $75K. I should have bought a raptor. Anyone else with a "new" broken/rebuilt motor out there? Should I trust that jeep will take care of me?
Sponsored

OP
OP

trgundersen

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Seems like there's something missing in your story.
More details about the story. The day I took it in for the steering issue (TSB 08-074-20) I asked how long it would take and they said it would be done at the end of the day. I called to find out if the truck was done and they said the tech was checking some codes and saw something wrong with cylinder 2. So they were going to run some diagnostics. They wanted to keep it overnight. The next day I called to find out what was going and was told it had bad lifters. It took about 2 weeks to get the parts. Then I called back and said they are swapping the cam shaft and cam followers. It took 3 weeks to get these parts. The status today is that they are still trying to figure out why the computer is throwing codes on cylinder 2. I'm just frustrated that it is taking so long.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Trent...this sounds like a nightmare and you have every right to be pissed off...I would be completely livid. I would begin working with the Service Dept, Regional Rep, @JeepCares, etc. and ask for a longer term powertrain warranty (i.e. 5yrs - 100k, 7yrs - 100k, etc.). Many times manufacturers will grant these as good faith items for the inconvenience/bad taste they're causing you. No guarantees but it's worth the ask. My experience has shown that they're more likely to offer something like this if you're polite and understanding (no easy feat in your situation).

You also want to be documenting dates, times, names and conversations in case you decide to pursue any kind of Lemon Law/Buy Back claim. Don't forget that in some states, dealer provision of a like-model loaner can influence satisfaction of Lemon requirements.

Now's the time to be thinking of and looking into these options.

Good luck and I wish you the best. If it's your dream Jeep (sounds like an AWESOME truck), it can be again...don't let it sour the whole experience for you...

OP
OP

trgundersen

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Trent...this sounds like a nightmare and you have every right to be pissed off...I would be completely livid. I would begin working with the Service Dept, Regional Rep, @JeepCares, etc. and ask for a longer term powertrain warranty (i.e. 5yrs - 100k, 7yrs - 100k, etc.). Many times manufacturers will grant these as good faith items for the inconvenience/bad taste they're causing you. No guarantees but it's worth the ask. My experience has shown that they're more likely to offer something like this if you're polite and understanding (no easy feat in your situation).

You also want to be documenting dates, times, names and conversations in case you decide to pursue any kind of Lemon Law/Buy Back claim. Don't forget that in some states, dealer provision of a like-model loaner can influence satisfaction of Lemon requirements.

Now's the time to be thinking of and looking into these options.

Good luck and I wish you the best. If it's your dream Jeep (sounds like an AWESOME truck), it can be again...don't let it sour the whole experience for you...
Hi Ron, Thanks for the advice. Do you know how I get the regional rep involved?

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Ron, Thanks for the advice. Do you know how I get the regional rep involved?
When I did it years ago on Ford F250, I simply requested contact info from the Service Manager. I had established a pretty good relationship with him and he helped run interference between me and the Regional Rep. This whole process really relies upon good relations all around - hence, the advice to remain polite and cordial. As soon as it goes sideways, all bets are off - usually resulting in more pain for you. If you're faced with a jerk for a Service Manager, it's gonna be uphill. Hopefully, they're frustrated for you since you just bought their "top-of-the-line" product and will be willing to help.

Did the dealership install all the upgrades you mentioned and were they included in the purchase? That can make it easier as you deal with them. Again...best of luck!

BTW...on the Ford, I ended up getting a 7yr - Unlimited mileage diesel powertrain warranty...worked out well. Never needed the coverage...

OP
OP

trgundersen

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
When I did it years ago on Ford F250, I simply requested contact info from the Service Manager. I had established a pretty good relationship with him and he helped run interference between me and the Regional Rep. This whole process really relies upon good relations all around - hence, the advice to remain polite and cordial. As soon as it goes sideways, all bets are off - usually resulting in more pain for you. If you're faced with a jerk for a Service Manager, it's gonna be uphill. Hopefully, they're frustrated for you since you just bought their "top-of-the-line" product and will be willing to help.

Did the dealership install all the upgrades you mentioned and were they included in the purchase? That can make it easier as you deal with them. Again...best of luck!

BTW...on the Ford, I ended up getting a 7yr - Unlimited mileage diesel powertrain warranty...worked out well. Never needed the coverage...
I've tried to be as polite as possible. The dealership installed all the upgrades. My service rep has been great, but he can only go as fast as jeep will get him parts or help him solve my problem. I'll ask him if I can get the regional rep involved to see if that will help him help me. Thanks again.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Man, this sucks. I'm sorry. Sounds like a sweet truck.

I would get with @JeepCares as well. I know with my TSB (waiting on parts) They handled most of the dirty work for me. I was not waiting on hold etc..... PM them. They will respond quickly.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Man, that would be frustrating. I would be really annoyed as well.

That being said, I cannot think of a single instance in my life where being an A has benefitted me more than having a nice yet stern approach. I suspect it'll feel great to vent on whoever is on the other end of the phone, but I'd put money on betting being nice here could work to your benefit. And if it doesn't, you can still be angry! :)

Caveat-- I screamed at a representative of Time Warner Cable once. Some contact dispute. I switched to Verizon and I'm still angry at Sprint.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I've tried to be as polite as possible. The dealership installed all the upgrades. My service rep has been great, but he can only go as fast as jeep will get him parts or help him solve my problem. I'll ask him if I can get the regional rep involved to see if that will help him help me. Thanks again.
Sounds like you're on the right track. I wouldn't be shy about letting the Service Manager know that you will be looking for some extended warranty consideration or the like. He likely can't directly help you with that but he can drop some hints to the Regional Reps/higher-ups on your behalf.

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Five weeks , putting parts in twice already and problem is still there, is it unresonable for the OP to request a new engine? I would feel better having a new Jeep, with a recent new engine, then an engine that will have been apart three times at least, I think you are into being given the 100,0000 drive train warranty already......Jack

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
dude....392 swap. I'll sign the petition.... they could have finished it. Change.org
Change the engine...

Five weeks , putting parts in twice already and problem is still there, is it unresonable for the OP to request a new engine? I would feel better having a new Jeep, with a recent new engine, then an engine that will have been apart three times at least, I think you are into being given the 100,0000 drive train warranty already......Jack

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't there have been a CEL when you took it in? ... seems strange you weren't aware there was a problem

OP
OP

trgundersen

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Wouldn't there have been a CEL when you took it in? ... seems strange you weren't aware there was a problem
There was no light. Truck seemed to be running fine. They told me the CEL came on after they performed the TSB and the tech was driving around to test he had it right.
Sponsored