Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Oil Field (Retired Infantry Marine)
Vehicle Showcase
So many dealerships are charging like $60-70,000 for a gladiator with 37" tires and 2 inch mopar lift, in many cases not even a Rubicon. My dealership gave me more than a fair deal for my stock Rubicon Gladiator, however I told them I would be back within a week to show them the before and after results at a much lower cost than any modded jeep they or any other dealership are selling. Pictured here 1 week later with about 5K in mods bringing my total vehicle price before taxes to $52,000...4.5 inch Skyjacker lift, 40x13.50 cooper stt pro tires, Black rhino mag wheels, xrc bumper, badlands winch

dealer.jpg
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Nice truck, congrats on that new 6 speed transmission :)

We have a local dealership that is strapping 37's on Overlands and Sports without addressing the gearing, selling them to unsuspecting consumers who don't know any better. Individuals who don't know any better I will give a pass to, dealerships should get pounded for this bullshit.

Same dealership is putting on 2" spacer "lifts" and calling it good. So they throw on a $250 "lift", Chinesium spacers and wheels and a set of tires and add $5k to the sticker. And then wonder why people refer to them as stealerships.

Function over form, not vice versa

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking truck (or do we call it a Jeep? I'm still confused on that one...)!

Agreed. It blows me away what some of these dealers charge for modifications. I love how, when it comes to trading or selling, they're quick to say "well, modifications don't add value." Some even say it detracts from the value, but you can bet your ass they'll upcharge thousands for it when they sell it.

I went with a bone stock 6-speed Rubicon, without what I personally consider the unnecessary bells and whistles (adaptive cruise, lane departure, etc), and couldn't be happier. For $43.1k before taxes, that leaves a WHOLE lot of room for mods before I hit the stealership's asking price of $60k - $70k...and I get the warm fuzzy of knowing that I did all of the work myself.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
Just a little devil's advocate here. the dealers are charging parts + labor + a markup because no one does anything for free. Can it be done cheaper yourself? Of course. Do lots of folks pay the premium "for the look", also yes.

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Audi A4
I know the dealers need to make money. I have no problem with that. I'm suprised at the mark up dealers charge for the 2" Mopar lift along with wheels and tires.

The fact you got a lift down with 40" tires for 5k is impressive. I hope you saved another $2k to regear the truck properly for 40s.

Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just a little devil's advocate here. the dealers are charging parts + labor + a markup because no one does anything for free. Can it be done cheaper yourself? Of course. Do lots of folks pay the premium "for the look", also yes.
I can appreciate the devil's advocate thing. But, let's take for (a very rough) example, a cheap spacer lift and 35s. You could go all-in on that for, what, $2k-$2.5k for a mid-range set of wheels and tires? Labor for mounting/balancing wheels and tires shouldn't be more than about an hour, and (my knowledge is limited on this platform, but I have experience on others) a spacer lift can't take more than about 2 hours for install? Add an alignment, which truthfully I doubt the dealer would even take time to do. 3 hours of shop labor, on the high end, likely shouldn't be more than $300-$400 or so. So your parts and labor in this example are running under $3,000. Not including discounts that dealers likely get on parts. That's a massive mark up, when you figure dealers are likely charging an extra $5k-$8k on the low end for that type of setup.

But yes, people absolutely will pay that type of premium. In the south, dealer lifted trucks/Jeeps sell like crazy. If it wasn't lucrative, the dealers wouldn't do it. They're all about the money.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can appreciate the devil's advocate thing. But, let's take for (a very rough) example, a cheap spacer lift and 35s. You could go all-in on that for, what, $2k-$2.5k for a mid-range set of wheels and tires? Labor for mounting/balancing wheels and tires shouldn't be more than about an hour, and (my knowledge is limited on this platform, but I have experience on others) a spacer lift can't take more than about 2 hours for install? Add an alignment, which truthfully I doubt the dealer would even take time to do. 3 hours of shop labor, on the high end, likely shouldn't be more than $300-$400 or so. So your parts and labor in this example are running under $3,000. Not including discounts that dealers likely get on parts. That's a massive mark up, when you figure dealers are likely charging an extra $5k-$8k on the low end for that type of setup.
Never said it was a small markup, but...they wouldn't be doing it if folks weren't paying it. We have a unique group here, and we all know better. John Q. Public doesn't.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Never said it was a small markup, but...they wouldn't be doing it if folks weren't paying it. We have a unique group here, and we all know better. John Q. Public doesn't.
Exactly. It's a shame. In the end though, it's their money, and if they're happy with their purchase, and the dealer is happy with their money, then I suppose it works out.

Backwoodsraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jts
Also, anything the dealer adds, is covered by warranty (at least here it is).

OP's mods, are not.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Also, anything the dealer adds, is covered by warranty (at least here it is).

OP's mods, are not.
While true, you should take that warranty with a grain of salt. Anything on that truck that didn't ship with it from Ohio can, and will, be used against you.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I’ll devils advocate you right back. I have no issue with a dealer making money. I have a real issue with gouging to the point of attempted thievery. When I bought my Rubi, the extent of dealer shenanigans was so bad that I slammed them and will continue to every chance I get. They had the exact build I was looking for on the lot and we made a fair deal. I told them I was paying cash and they said I had to finance. I’ll spare you all the ridiculousness that caused. They then tried to charge me $18k for a Mopar lift, 37s and a automatic step, installed. I’ll spare the BS that blatant attempt at a ripoff caused. Finally, I couldn’t pick it up immediately so I said just install the Mopar lift and I want the crate and all my brand new parts back. They charged me $2,750! I was out of town for a week and when I returned it was ready, but no parts were present. They said they threw them all away! I demanded them and the crate and they said they would find some. Now, my fault for paying the $2,750. If I had time, I would have done it myself. This was three weeks ago and I still don’t have my crate or brand new parts.

This stealership is Palmer in Roswell, GA if you are interested in names.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I take every vehicle warranty with a grain of salt. The dealer will always provide pushback. Ultimately, the burden of proof that your mods caused the failure should be on them, but we all know that's not always how it works out.

With any parts I install, I accept that they are at my own risk. Granted, I also tend not to do mods that I know may compromise factory parts. For example, I never install spacers, and don't plan on going over 35s on my Rubicon.