First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
So, i have been contemplating a typical truck tool box to haul/store my recovery/off-road goodies in. Looked at the one that rests on the bed rails and the ones that are a tool chest and sit in the bed between the sides. The fuel filler door kind of limits the over the rail model and the space between wheel wells is only 44 inches. Anyone have pics or suggestions as to what ideas they are tossing around or solutions? It will be a semi-permanent fixture and not something I will be loading or unloading for each trip.
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
So while doing recon for work, lookie what I found.

At first blush it looks like it would fit the wheel wells rather well and would t stuck up too much. You would need to stand it off from the bed wall to allow for top swing but this space can use used to hold things like long skinny tools etc.

8B83A3E7-05FF-41C9-B5A8-24DB2B3A4A56.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepdude413

Jeepdude413

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
So while doing recon for work, lookie what I found.

At first blush it looks like it would fit the wheel wells rather well and would t stuck up too much. You would need to stand it off from the bed wall to allow for top swing but this space can use used to hold things like long skinny tools etc.

8B83A3E7-05FF-41C9-B5A8-24DB2B3A4A56.jpeg
In case u have not measured, there is 44ā€ between wheel wells. I found a better built tool chest that is 42ā€ and fits nicely. I installed 8 nutserts in the head of the bed to mount. Iā€™ll post pics when the storm moves out...... EDIT... pics as promised... sits below bed rails and used M10 nutserts. Have chain for additional security but not needed.

4BB04E2B-5B26-4E2F-AFCE-8088D9C8F1BB.jpeg

E611E55B-4A8E-4768-95AE-165488DB77BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Ksagaser

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Have you looked at the dodge rambox toolbox? Built to slide on the bed rails.
upload_2020-1-18_22-5-3.jpeg

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)

Old Tex

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Howdy,
I also have the Craftsman box from Lowes. It fits like a glove and It is invisible in the rear view mirror.

JT-S-Maxi-IND

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 1998 Pontiac Sunfire convertible
Occupation
Retired (Sales)
I too struggled to find the right storage box that fit the gladiator ideally. I bought almost every tool box and storage tote home and didnā€™t find the ideal. I finally settled on the 44ā€ Poly box from Tractor Supply. It fits nicely between the wheel wheels

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...y-poly-utility-storage-box-44-in?cm_vc=-10005

Itā€™s bigger than I desired , but does work quite well; is very roomy inside, basically acts like a big trunk, is easily accessible, easily locked and secured. It fits (just barely) under the Mopar roll up Tonneau cover, so doesn't allow for a bed mat under it. BTW- it does barely fit in the back seat if you need bed space to haul something and didn't plan ahead. I use soft tool boxes and the like to put ratchet straps, hitch receiver and accessories, assortment of tools, etc., in separate bags to organize and allow me to remove and add things as needed.

Here is a link to the other post with more details & pictures.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-not-drawers-options.24766/page-2#post-394558

I've since added 4 Milwaukee Packout boxes to the mix.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/post-your-payload-pics.26475/page-3#post-426756

I am using these to hold smaller hand tools and supplies, with the TRACTOR Supply box holding larder tools, like saws and nail guns, when I need to max out secure storage for trips to our son & daughter-in-law's house for extended weekend work, remodel and repair projects.

Pictures of loaded Gladiator

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/post-your-payload-pics.26475/page-2#post-426025

I'm now considering using the Milwaukee boxes instead of the Tractor supply box for more daily use. This allows me to put the items that are in the soft tool bags into separate removable Packout boxes. This allows me to take just what I need and also allows me to move them to the back seat easier, if I'm out somewhere and need more bed space to haul items.

Combined these too boxes worked REALLY well for our trip hauling lots of tools. Individually, they have pluses and minuses, that I still evaluating.

Sponsored

Bullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE (Billet Silver)
In case u have not measured, there is 44ā€ between wheel wells. I found a better built tool chest that is 42ā€ and fits nicely. I installed 8 nutserts in the head of the bed to mount. Iā€™ll post pics when the storm moves out...... EDIT... pics as promised... sits below bed rails and used M10 nutserts. Have chain for additional security but not needed.

4BB04E2B-5B26-4E2F-AFCE-8088D9C8F1BB.jpeg

E611E55B-4A8E-4768-95AE-165488DB77BB.jpeg
Where'd you find that 42" Better Built tool chest?

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I picked up an aluminum Husky box at Home Depot 6 months ago. I raised it about 1 inch so it could sit flush against the front trail rail and the lid would not hit the front bed rail when opening. There are 1/4-inch thick rubber strips on the bottom of the risers so they grip the bed really well and the box does not move from side to side on rough trails. I did not want to drill holes in the bed to bolt the box down. It's secured with cam straps and a cable lock, so it can be removed easily if necessary. The straps and lock are attached to eye bolts I installed in the box. The latch/lock is on the side so you don't have to climb into the bed to open it.

It holds a LOT of stuff...tools, recovery equipment, shovel, rescue packs, camp chairs, Viair 450P compressor, first aid supplies, and a bunch more.

box new.jpg

box.jpg

boxed2.jpg

box01.jpg

boxed02.jpg

Last edited:

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I too struggled to find the right storage box that fit the gladiator ideally. I bought almost every tool box and storage tote home and didnā€™t find the ideal. I finally settled on the 44ā€ Poly box from Tractor Supply. It fits nicely between the wheel wheels

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...y-poly-utility-storage-box-44-in?cm_vc=-10005

Itā€™s bigger than I desired , but does work quite well; is very roomy inside, basically acts like a big trunk, is easily accessible, easily locked and secured. It fits (just barely) under the Mopar roll up Tonneau cover, so doesn't allow for a bed mat under it. BTW- it does barely fit in the back seat if you need bed space to haul something and didn't plan ahead. I use soft tool boxes and the like to put ratchet straps, hitch receiver and accessories, assortment of tools, etc., in separate bags to organize and allow me to remove and add things as needed.

Here is a link to the other post with more details & pictures.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-not-drawers-options.24766/page-2#post-394558

I've since added 4 Milwaukee Packout boxes to the mix.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/post-your-payload-pics.26475/page-3#post-426756

I am using these to hold smaller hand tools and supplies, with the TRACTOR Supply box holding larder tools, like saws and nail guns, when I need to max out secure storage for trips to our son & daughter-in-law's house for extended weekend work, remodel and repair projects.

Pictures of loaded Gladiator

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/post-your-payload-pics.26475/page-2#post-426025

I'm now considering using the Milwaukee boxes instead of the Tractor supply box for more daily use. This allows me to put the items that are in the soft tool bags into separate removable Packout boxes. This allows me to take just what I need and also allows me to move them to the back seat easier, if I'm out somewhere and need more bed space to haul items.

Combined these too boxes worked REALLY well for our trip hauling lots of tools. Individually, they have pluses and minuses, that I still evaluating.
That Tractor Supply box looks just about perfect. No interference with the roll up support bars? It says itā€™s 17.5ā€ tall which is the exact depth of the bed and has me concerned.

JT-S-Maxi-IND

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 1998 Pontiac Sunfire convertible
Occupation
Retired (Sales)
That Tractor Supply box looks just about perfect. No interference with the roll up support bars? It says itā€™s 17.5ā€ tall which is the exact depth of the bed and has me concerned.
Itā€™s close, but is not interfering with my cover. Now, the concern I would also share is that there could be slight variations in dimensions from the manufacturing process of the box.

it really fits well, is easy to unlock from outside the bed, but do need to was
K around and unlock from both sides. Also I put a 4x4 between the box and bed front to allow cover to open. That then gives me a place to store some longer items like level, pipe clamps and saw guide.

itā€™s not elegant but works. The Milwaukee Packout boxes were great for hand tools.

BTW.....I tried the Milwaukee Packout for daily use and went back to the Tractor Supply box. I really like the Packout boxes, but alway found the needed box was on the bottom and then required that I undo the cable locks sync get in the bed to move things around. Do love the Packout boxes for trips

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Itā€™s close, but is not interfering with my cover. Now, the concern I would also share is that there could be slight variations in dimensions from the manufacturing process of the box.

it really fits well, is easy to unlock from outside the bed, but do need to was
K around and unlock from both sides. Also I put a 4x4 between the box and bed front to allow cover to open. That then gives me a place to store some longer items like level, pipe clamps and saw guide.

itā€™s not elegant but works. The Milwaukee Packout boxes were great for hand tools.

BTW.....I tried the Milwaukee Packout for daily use and went back to the Tractor Supply box. I really like the Packout boxes, but alway found the needed box was on the bottom and then required that I undo the cable locks sync get in the bed to move things around. Do love the Packout boxes for trips
I may have to give this one a shot. Looking for a spot for some recovery gear and lesser used items. Thanks!

Edit:
Do you have any pictures with it opened? I canā€™t tell from the pictures, but are there any fastening points?
Sponsored

Last edited: