Top/Doors Off Corona Question

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Probably a dumb question but been curious about this. If, I'm riding with my top down, or top down and doors off, and the guy in front of me sneezes (he's got his windows open), am I at good risk of catching Corona Virus? In other words "Don't tell me I can't ride around with my top down"...
Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Assume yes on all the above. Exercise caution but damn I drove with the Sunrider open and windows down this morning and loved every minute of it...

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
the people i see driving solo in their own vehicles should have asked this question lol

B7B7EC0C-6322-4B0D-B0A7-F8E30904A170.png
Assuming that car is in motion, I find it amazing that dude is wearing that mask for "safety".

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Assuming that car is in motion, I find it amazing that dude is wearing that mask for "safety".
I actually own 2 of those masks, and can offer a possible explanation. Its not worth it to be taking off and on every time you get in and out of the car/Jeep (hehe). So if this person was out running errands, he could be thinking "Hell, I don't want to take this thing off again and have to put it back on in 10 min and re-adjust it".

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Probably a dumb question but been curious about this. If, I'm riding with my top down, or top down and doors off, and the guy in front of me sneezes (he's got his windows open), am I at good risk of catching Corona Virus? In other words "Don't tell me I can't ride around with my top down"...
Eric, did you mean say no doors Corolla? ;)

1497515_orig.png

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

am I at good risk of catching Corona Virus?
The general rule of thumb is that if you are 6 feet or more away, you're not at risk.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
The average aerosolized "hot zone" of someone coughing and or sneezing is about 6-8 feet according to studies, hence the 6-ft rule you see these days. However, in some instances especially those with fairly explosive sternutations, and with some positive air pressure to carry droplets, you can have contamination up to 200ft away.

Assuming you were both stationary, side-by-side, and within 8-ft of each other, and they sneezed directly in your direction with their window down and unobstructed by wind or objects, you would have an increased chance of getting their nasty on you. If the car sneezed outside in front of you and you drove through it, there is a chance of some of that getting into your cabin. Is there sufficient droplets for you to inhale to actually increase infection? Probably not. Studies have shown you have to, on average, be within 6-ft for several minutes of an infected symptomatic individual to actually get infected. Research is still inconclusive regarding transmission through fomites as well, though that is not to say washing your hands and shared surfaces should be ignored as that is just typical common sense hygiene - remember there are thousands of other infectious bacteria and viruses that are looking for opportunities to colonize your insides...plus it's just gross if you touch shared surfaces all day and then lick your Cheetoh fingers.

It's all about probabilities. There is always a chance of being exposed no matter what you do or where you go. How you digest that information and let it alter your daily life is up to you.

So, doors off top down? Sure.

Are you at a good risk of catching something? No.

You're more likely to get a face full of smog from that lifted diesel pickup truck in front of you than someone sneezing out their window.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
the people i see driving solo in their own vehicles should have asked this question lol

B7B7EC0C-6322-4B0D-B0A7-F8E30904A170.png
you-can-be-t1g0du.jpg

He looks like Maverick in Top Gun.

Last edited:

GeepNee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Altitude, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Looks like he has some Jeep inspired side mirrors to go with his door-less corolla
Sponsored