Sponsored

Top Hoist

JJJJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Looking to purchase a hoist for a 4 door JL Suggestions?
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've used my RACOR HOIST for over 9 years now, without any problems and I've changed the LOAD often--

It'll hold over 150 lbs, so the jeeps hardtop lifting is easy, it just depends on your lifting hookup arrangement--I always used my '08 JKUR RACK for the lifting/storing-

023.jpg

They are available from Costco/ebay/Amazon--and prices/delivery will vary--

Good luck

JIMBO

Garrocha21

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
It's not really a hoist, but I have been using the Freedom-Jack. It works pretty good, did not cost a ton, and generally takes me about 15 minutes to take the top off with no assistance.

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I've used my RACOR HOIST for over 9 years now, without any problems and I've changed the LOAD often--
Just installed the RACOR over the weekend - worked great pulling the top for the first time. I'm happy that you don't need to be aligned perfectly with it (just close). Per some recommendations of other users on here I added some safety chains, but it's probably overkill.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6

It'll hold over 150 lbs, so the jeeps hardtop lifting is easy, it just depends on your lifting hookup arrangement--I always used my '08 JKUR RACK for the lifting/storing-

023.jpg

Good luck

JIMBO
Does this pick up the top in some fashion or do you have to physically put it on the rack? Can't really tell with the stuff on top, thanks.

Never mind, looks like it attaches to the bottom

Sponsored

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
TopLift Pro is the best idea I've seen. Very expensive but easy and effective.

5a8cd0522d6ad4000171e086_store.jpg

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Yes, I used "J-HOOKS' from the RACOR bottom platform to do the hardtop list/w the MBRP RACK-

It was easy for me-

JIMBO

RUBITODD

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito JLUR
Freedom jack for me. Can also wash and wax the top while it is off

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon

023.jpg

Good luck

JIMBO

Do you think the Racor Hoist would work with the Maximus-3 roof rack or the Rhino rack with the backbone when it finally comes out? If you think it would what do you think the minimum ceiling height would have to be?

Sponsored

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Do you think the Racor Hoist would work with the Maximus-3 roof rack or the Rhino rack with the backbone when it finally comes out? If you think it would what do you think the minimum ceiling height would have to be?
I think you might run into a weight issue with how the Racor is built. Topsy has a metal cam to replace the plastic ones, but you still have plastic pulleys on it. It says 250 pounds, but personally I'd be a bit hesitant to test out that limit.

As far as height, my shelf sits about 1 foot from the ceiling with the freedom panels on top, add about 8" for the shelf itself and space between it and the Jeep's top. You'd have to calculate the height of the top with the roof rack on it to figure it out from there.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I think you might run into a weight issue with how the Racor is built. Topsy has a metal cam to replace the plastic ones, but you still have plastic pulleys on it. It says 250 pounds, but personally I'd be a bit hesitant to test out that limit.

As far as height, my shelf sits about 1 foot from the ceiling with the freedom panels on top, add about 8" for the shelf itself and space between it and the Jeep's top. You'd have to calculate the height of the top with the roof rack on it to figure it out from there.
I received an email from Topsy products giving me the impression that they would be willing to make custom length straps to take into account the added height of a roof rack so that seems promising.

I also did a little research on the total weight and it looks like the factory black hardtop is approximately 100lbs without the freedom panels and the weight of the maximus-3 long rack is approximately 60lbs so around 160lbs total. That would give about a 90lb leeway. The Racor hoist is rated for 250lbs but I've read comments that the older version of the Racor hoist was more sturdy with the same weight limit...Do you think the current Racor hoist would have an issue with that weight?

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
The Racor hoist has been discontinued. But you can still find it on Amazon. I've had mine since 2013 and it works great. I use my cordless drill to raise and lower it instead if the hand crank.

Last edited:

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I use a Lange and upgraded it with a Topsy mod.
Sponsored