First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
I live in an area that doesn’t get much rain but is pretty dusty. Is there harm in leaving the top and doors off for long periods of time and always being parked outdoors (no garage)? I do have a cover for the occasional, rare storm, but will the Jeep be harmed by potential dust and sunlight from always being outside? Sorry if this is an amateur question!
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I live in an area that doesn’t get much rain but is pretty dusty. Is there harm in leaving the top and doors off for long periods of time and always being parked outdoors (no garage)? I do have a cover for the occasional, rare storm, but will the Jeep be harmed by potential dust and sunlight from always being outside? Sorry if this is an amateur question!
Sun is bound to fade things. It is rated, I can't imagine the dust being an issue more than an annoyance. I will say once it gets in there you will find dust everywhere. It is pollen season again and no joke I last week found pollen in there from last year.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Eventually, sun damage will discolor the plastics inside your Jeep (black plastics become whitish), and the plastic will become dry and brittle. Seats, whether leather or fabric, will also fade and degrade over time with exposure to the sun. I'd suggest at least getting a bikini top (not for your lady friend but for your Jeep). There are many different makes, here is just one: https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2020/gladiator/extended-safari-bikini/

OP
OP

Geauxcrush

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
Eventually, sun damage will discolor the plastics inside your Jeep (black plastics become whitish), and the plastic will become dry and brittle. Seats, whether leather or fabric, will also fade and degrade over time with exposure to the sun. I'd suggest at least getting a bikini top (not for your lady friend but for your Jeep). There are many different makes, here is just one: https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2020/gladiator/extended-safari-bikini/
Thanks for the reply! I was planning on getting a bikini top or sunshade covers or something similar. I was also going to get the mopar cab cover for the bad weather days. It would only be naked for 3-4 months (and I’m sure some weeks/weekends will be spent with top and doors on). Do you think this would deteriorate too quickly under this system?

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
I have an 08 JK that spent a lot of time with just a bikini. There is definitely some fading and the dust is no joke (I live in AZ). It has also gotten wet on more than one occasion (I generally tried to keep the rain off the dash). It's an X model, so the interior has the vinyl seats. All that being said, It has held up remarkably well, but it is no show car!!!

I won't disrespect my JT like that for a few more years. :LOL:

Sponsored

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I’m in El Paso, short answer no, long answer be prepared to clean a lot though. I’ve got a wet-dry vac at the house and it sees a lot of use...

OP
OP

Geauxcrush

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
I’m in El Paso, short answer no, long answer be prepared to clean a lot though. I’ve got a wet-dry vac at the house and it sees a lot of use...
Perfect, that’s what I figured. I’m near Lubbock so similar climate.

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Where at? A good friend of mine is in Sundown.

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am in Tulia, I coach the basketball team at the high school here.
Nice! I’m the head girls soccer coach at Coronado El Paso, I’ll be in Midland in a few hours with the boys team for their area playoff game tomorrow.

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Thanks for the reply! I was planning on getting a bikini top or sunshade covers or something similar. I was also going to get the mopar cab cover for the bad weather days. It would only be naked for 3-4 months (and I’m sure some weeks/weekends will be spent with top and doors on). Do you think this would deteriorate too quickly under this system?
Really hard to say - there are so many variables. This I can guarantee: after ten years of being left outside naked for 3-4 months per year, the inside of your Jeep will look different than if it had been garaged the whole time! With an answer like that, I could be a politician ;) Sounds like you have the right idea between the bikini top (either half or full bikini), and the cab cover. Back when I had a 1978 CJ-7 I had a big tarp I threw over the entire Jeep. I had rope tied to eyelets on one side of the tarp, and I'd toss the ropes under the Jeep and tie them off to the eyelets on the other side of the tarp. The Jeep was wrapped tight like a parcel in a matter of minutes - totally water proof, dust proof, and sun proof. I don't know if it would meet condo codes, but it worked great.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
P.S. I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice, because I'm at that age where I think I have the right to do so, and its the internet, so there's nothing you can do to stop me ;)

Leave that bikini top on when you're driving (except those days when you really have to have it off). The sun feels great, but over time, it is not your friend... Edit: in reference to sun damage to your skin - which is no joke.

Last edited:

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Sun will certainly be a thing. It fades everything, so at very least throw some protection on the plastics and leather. Obviously you should also protect your paint.
Dust will also be a thing, but it shouldn't cause issues for many years. But yes, dust gets into electronic connections, then you allow a little rain to get in....
Personally, I've certainly left my windows open more with this truck than any other vehicle and I'm willing to sacrifice years down the road with fixing these potential issues/gremlins

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Also remove the carpet. Will save you so much pain in the future.
Sponsored