Touch free or soft touch

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I’m lazy but I like a clean truck. Hand washing isn’t going to happen due to said laziness. At this point Sandy has only been through a touch less wash. For other lazy JT owners out there let me know what your preference is and why. I think my Tundra came out cleaner with the soft touch but I didn’t really care about the potential fine scratches
Sponsored

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
I’m lazy but I like a clean truck. Hand washing isn’t going to happen due to said laziness. At this point Sandy has only been through a touch less wash. For other lazy JT owners out there let me know what your preference is and why. I think my Tundra came out cleaner with the soft touch but I didn’t really care about the potential fine scratches
Every car I own(ed), unless it's a designated beater, is washed one of two ways:

1) Hand-wash/wax (preferred)
2) Touchless to knock the mud/salt off during the winter....kind of a quick - clean.

My personal rule (and something I've taught my wife) is to never, ever take it through a wash with anything that mechanically spins and touches the car. It's the quickest way to ruin a paint job.

I can't see paying ~$50K for a vehicle and then subject it to a washing/sanding by going through those spinning rubber strips.

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I try to hand wash and wax a couple times a year. The rest of the time I go through the No Touch Wash at Sam's Club.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Soft touch. I've yet to see a touch free that wasn't a complete waste of money.

I've got a membership at Zips Car Wash, a car wash chain where they spray it down with presoak and then it goes through brushes, bug remover, underbody, wash, tire and wheel clean and shine, spray hot wax, rinse, blow dry, and vacuum that'll just about suck the carpeting out of the floor. Unlimited visits - it's the ultimate lazy man (me) car wash.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Hand wash only. Especially if you add aftermarket exterior parts...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I just joined the car wash club. I have the option of touch free or soft touch. I’m thinking if I go regularly maybe touchfree will do a good enough job

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
The touch free washes around here, the water jets are so powerful, I'm afraid they will rip my freedom tops or tonneau cover off. Or, at least create some leaks that I am lucky enough to not have.
I have been through the soft touch washes a few times. No leaks, and the top and tonneau cover come out clean. So far, everything is still dry inside.

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
Mostly touchless, as in I wait for the rain to knock off the dirt. Its a Jeep after all, it’s supposed to be dirty. When it has to look shinier I use Rain-X Waterless Car Wash, takes me about ten minutes to wipe it all down.

Sponsored

JeffInFLA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I won't do any sort of automated wash on my Gladiator. I do a snow foam soak, rinse, hand wash deal. I'm also using the McGuire's ceramic spray so after the wash, a quick spray and rinse and I'm good to go. If I were to do a carwash, it would be touchless.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Wonder how many of those car wash employees that work at the washes where the vehicle is put in neutral with no driver and run through the tunnel know how to use the park manual release.

I would guess a lot of new jeeps get drug through without their wheels moving.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Wonder how many of those car wash employees that work at the washes where the vehicle is put in neutral with no driver and run through the tunnel know how to use the park manual release.

I would guess a lot of new jeeps get drug through without their wheels moving.
That is a great question due to that fabulous autopark nanny feature! Our local car wash chain has us remain in the vehicle for the ride. So, a non-issue here.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For years there was a mix here in our area. Anything that touched has gradually disappeared, in fact a couple have been torn down and replaced with modern touchless automatic washes.
I'm not sure there's anything in our area that touches a vehicle these days.
Maybe car owners voted with their money.

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
I've done touchless once and it felt expensive for what it was.

I typically do the full hand wash myself, but with the Jeep I decided to ceramic coat it when it was relatively new. That's made hand washing it noticeably easier.
Sponsored