First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
I've done some internetting and did not find information on this exact issue so I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone else has this experience

For the 4th we took our new JTR to my inlaws' place about 3.5 hours from us. I bought the Jeep off the lot with 50 miles on it including my own test drive on 6/30/20, no idea how long it's been sitting but will check the build date. After about 2-2.5 hours on the road (top back, windows down, sunny day) the touch screen was responding only sporadically to inputs. When we arrived and I turned the Jeep off I hit the button to go to ACC power and it seemed to be working flawlessly again. I thought this might be a cruise control or speed-lockout situation and did not think much more of it.

On Sunday we drove home (again top back, windows down, upper 80s-low90s and sunny), everything seemed fine at various speeds and with cruise control set (not adaptive), again worked for 2-2.5 hours then only took input sporadically, then nothing at all. I could plug up to android auto and the screen would come up but no inputs, unplug and go back to the radio screen but still no inputs taken. Steering wheel volume and station controls worked, all audio buttons and knobs worked, climate control buttons and knobs worked and would even flash the display correctly but I could not get to the climate control screen or settings or any other. I stopped briefly, shut it down for only a minute, started up and flawless working again.

Have not had a problem since but also have not driven more than about 45 minutes at a time.

I would have the dealer look at it but if the issue only comes up at 2+ hours of driving then I will need to plan a whole day around creating the issue. Next time I take a longer trip I will film the problem, I didn't even think about it at the time.

Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: 7" Uconnect screen
Sponsored

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Yes, and video it when it happens to show the dealership. Once you have 2-3 occurrences on video, then make your appointment. They will probably end up replacing the radio.

OP
OP
anavrinIV

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, and video it when it happens to show the dealership. Once you have 2-3 occurrences on video, then make your appointment. They will probably end up replacing the radio.
I took it in a few weeks back for a couple minor things and mentioned it but it was working at the time and there were no updates, I asked specifically that they check for Uconnect and PCM updates. So far it has not happened again but I will get video if it does

Political_Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I have the 8.1 inch screen. I had issues with Android Auto not connecting and getting a "device not compatible" message that would go away after several minutes and stop working. My Gladiator only had 4k miles on it and suddenly the infotainment system just completely died. Radio had to be replaced but there was a back order on the radio that put delivery into October. I put up a pretty good bitch session, demanded a loaner on par with what I purchased (they gave me the Renegade at first.) After a week after escalating to Jeep, one was overnight-ed and I got my rig back.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I'm curious, has it only happened with top open and sun hitting the screen?

Could be the screen is too warm from sun to recognize the heat of a finger tip.

Sponsored

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had this problem a couple of times, a good screen cleaning solved it. It turned out there was something on the screen with enough capacitance/conductance to think it was already being pressed, ignoring further input.

Or it could be broken.

OP
OP
anavrinIV

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I'm curious, has it only happened with top open and sun hitting the screen?

Could be the screen is too warm from sun to recognize the heat of a finger tip.
The screen was not always in the sun - the first time it happened it was actually getting dark out and cooling down, the second time was mostly in the sun. So far I have not driven that length of time with the top up so I cannot say what triggers it. I'm sure I will have longer drives in the future and will definitely be monitoring it then. I think if it was a heat issue the screen would not work perfectly again after turning the truck off then on again within a minute or so.

I had this problem a couple of times, a good screen cleaning solved it. It turned out there was something on the screen with enough capacitance/conductance to think it was already being pressed, ignoring further input.

Or it could be broken.
The only thing on the screen was the dealer film which I had removed in the days prior. However it has not had any issues since I posted, but my longest drive after that has been under an hour in a single shot. I'm keeping an eye on it

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity... How has the humidity been in your area?

OP
OP
anavrinIV

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Out of curiosity... How has the humidity been in your area?
Central NC....it's always humid. Not Florida humid, but still humid

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Central NC....it's always humid. Not Florida humid, but still humid
Ok, the reason I ask... I'm trying to pinpoint my issue as well and I think mine is pinned to moisture whether it be humidity, condensation or both. I am in NJ and do notice it happen more frequently after the Jeep has been on the beach while I surf fish or on humid days when the AC is dripping condensation. I have already had the radio replaced once and have an appointment tomorrow to get another radio replaced which will be my fifth visit for touchscreen issues.

Keep an eye out if you notice it during really humid days or not.

IMG_5199.jpg

OP
OP
anavrinIV

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Ok, the reason I ask... I'm trying to pinpoint my issue as well and I think mine is pinned to moisture whether it be humidity, condensation or both. I am in NJ and do notice it happen more frequently after the Jeep has been on the beach while I surf fish or on humid days when the AC is dripping condensation. I have already had the radio replaced once and have an appointment tomorrow to get another radio replaced which will be my fifth visit for touchscreen issues.

Keep an eye out if you notice it during really humid days or not.

Jeep Gladiator Touch screen stops working IMG_5199
When I run with the top back I cut the air off, or low on my feet. At anything above about 20 it doesn't do any good anyway. I have never seen condensation like that around my vents
Sponsored