Tough Time Deciding What Truck

YoGroobs

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLC & Ford Explorer
I've browsed through this forum along with FB groups for the past few days. I'm making a new truck purchase soon and really am lost in my options and want to get some opinions of the JT guys here.

I've owned a few jeeps, an XJ that was amazing, a CJ that was a bad ass (left me stranded a lot, but I DD'd a heavily modified CJ fwiw), and my wife's Liberty which was a POS.

I've also owned an F150 that I loved, but that was a 2005, and don't really have an interest in an F150 anymore.

I'm considering a JT or a Tacoma, but am horribly stuck.

I love to hunt, don't care about MPG, like to off road (nothing too insane), do a ton of home restoration projects, and I have 2 little girls to occupy the back seat.

I'd probably buy a Sport S or Overland and upgrade to a small lift and 35's for the time being, and if needed in the future, I'd buy an aftermarket rear locker, but I don't think I'll need it honestly.

I'm just concerned about reliability with the JT. Have anyone had any real problems here with their Jeeps so far? I loved my Jeeps and consider myself a Jeep guy, but I want to keep this till at least 100k - 130k and don't want to be stranded in the middle of the woods or on the side of the road.

I've heard so many complaints about JK's and JL's, that I'm worried about the JT. Id love to have another Jeep to rip the doors off and plow through the woods again, but I just have a bad feeling about reliability. My XJ ran amazing, even with the cylinder head issue of 2001 and would love to feel that Jeep pride again that I know I won't get with a Tacoma.

Any opinions? Any Tacoma converts?
Sponsored

cleanerguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi
I've browsed through this forum along with FB groups for the past few days. I'm making a new truck purchase soon and really am lost in my options and want to get some opinions of the JT guys here.

I've owned a few jeeps, an XJ that was amazing, a CJ that was a bad ass (left me stranded a lot, but I DD'd a heavily modified CJ fwiw), and my wife's Liberty which was a POS.

I've also owned an F150 that I loved, but that was a 2005, and don't really have an interest in an F150 anymore.

I love to hunt, don't care about MPG, like to off road (nothing too insane), do a ton of home restoration projects, and I have 2 little girls to occupy the back seat.

I'd probably buy a Sport S or Overland and upgrade to a small lift and 35's for the time being, and if needed in the future, I'd buy an aftermarket rear locker, but I don't think I'll need it honestly.

I'm just concerned about reliability with the JT. Have anyone had any real problems here with their Jeeps so far? I loved my Jeeps and consider myself a Jeep guy, but I want to keep this till at least 100k - 130k and don't want to be stranded in the middle of the woods or on the side of the road.

I've heard so many complaints about JK's and JL's, that I'm worried about the JT. Id love to have another Jeep to rip the doors off and plow through the woods again, but I just have a bad feeling about reliability. My XJ ran amazing, even with the cylinder head issue of 2001 and would love to feel that Jeep pride again that I know I won't get with a Tacoma.

Hello,

I think I can help with some advice. I just turned in a 3 year lease Tacoma TRD off road. I previously owned a JL and now a JT. The Tacoma is very reliable. The only issue I had was a broken blower fan that was a recall and repaired under warranty. I was not even going to get it fixed but it ended up breaking. My JL did not have any issues, other than the typical things people complain about. If you have owned Jeeps you know them already. I did not have any repairs. Anyway, I know both vehicles very well. This was actually my second Tacoma and I have owned more Jeeps than I can remember.

I would advise you to get the JT. Here is why. The Taco has a terrible engine. Yea, it might run forever, but it's so de-tuned that it feels really slow and underpowered. It would be like taking a Hemi and cutting the hp in half. I mean it would run forever because the strain on the engine would be so low. But it would be a complete dog to drive. Also, the Taco has a weird seating position. You sit "in" the truck and always feel like you are sitting low. The JT you sit "on" it and feel like you are high up and commanding. The JT also has the removable top, which is killer. The JT's Alpine upgrade is 1000x better than the Taco's radio. To be really honest, the JT is just an all around better truck. The Taco drives like a car, which is cool if you like that, I like a truck to drive like truck.

One more thing. I would really advise getting a Rubicon. The 4.10 gears are so much better around town. Plus all the extras are nice. You can take it right off the floor and go off road no problem. Throw some 35's on it and you'll go almost anywhere. I know the Rubi is expensive, but if you can afford it, it's totally worth it . Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll be happy either way. If you're really worried about the Jeep reliability, just get the extended warranty. I know they are not cheap but you will have some piece of mind. I would rather drive a vehicle with some attitude and soul and less reliability than a bullet proof boring vehicle. I mean a Camry will run forever, but who cares...........

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

I have a buddy who was in your exact situation, and also has 2 daughters (8 & 9), and does lots of home repair stuff, pulls a boat, goes on family vacation a few times a year, Has land, hunts, fishes, etc... After seeing the leg room in the back seat of a crew cab Taco, he and his wife got a JT Rubicon, and are very happy and satisfied with their purchase. :like:

Like was stated above, if you’re going to get a Gladiator, go ahead and get a Rubicon...You’ll be glad you did, when you need those 4.10’s, lockers, and sway bar disconnects. Especially if you plan on going with 35’s or 37’s. Not to mention the exponentially higher resale and trade-in value of the Rubicon over other models.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
The two main reasons I would not buy a TACO

1. Top/doors do not come off

2. Legs are almost horizontal when driving.

OP
OP

YoGroobs

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean a Camry will run forever, but who cares...........
My wife had a Camry for like a year. I HATED it. It was the worst car we've ever owned. I dreaded sitting in it every single day.

Also, my biggest concern with the Tacoma is the things that you listed. I prefer to drive a truck and/or a Jeep. The JT really ticks all my preferences, but I was nervous about the reliability.

Also, I can get a TRD OR Tacoma for $36k near me, but a Rubi will cost $42k +. I can swing the price, but I'd rather be in the $36-38k range. Maybe they will offer some incentives over the next couple of months that'll be worth it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

YoGroobs

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The two main reasons I would not buy a TACO

1. Top/doors do not come off

2. Legs are almost horizontal when driving.
This point is huge. The feeling I got driving my old CJ around with the doors and roof off is unmatched.

These 3 replies have already convinced me. I know what I want in a truck and just felt nervous about Jeep v. Tacoma reliability, but I'd rather not pass JT's in a Tacoma thinking that my truck isn't as good...

EezyE

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I traded my 2014 Tacoma TRD Sport for a Gladiator Sport S and have been thrilled. I bought it brand new in 2014 and haven’t missed my Tacoma at all. I don’t have anything bad to say about my old Tacoma, but it just wasn’t a Jeep.

As mentioned above, you can’t take the doors or top off a Tacoma. The fit and finishes of the Gladiator are nicer. From what I have read and seen, the quality on the 3rd generation (current) is not as good as the previous 2 generations of Tacomas.

I got the Sport S because I got a great deal and the Rubicon was going to be at least $15,000 or so more expensive. The Sport S suits my needs just fine. Would I have liked to have gotten the Rubicon, yes, but it was outside what I was willing to spend. I’m perfectly happy with my choice.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I got the overland because they had a model with all the interior and safety features that I wanted. There was also a punk’n rubi that was beautiful but a little more.

I love the overland but I should’ve gotten the rubicon. By the time I put decent tires, steel bumper, lift, etc., I would be in rubi cost bracket anyway. If/when I get another Jeep, it will be a rubi. It’s nice being able to drive it off the lot with most “upgrades” done already. Really would’ve like the molle seats too.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I drive a 2017 Taco for work every single day (company issued work truck)... They’re junk, IMO.

Sponsored

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you can swing the cost of the Rubi, I would definitely do it. The locker you wanted and new wheels and tires would put you right there. You'll get that back in resale later also if you want. You get nothing back for any upgrade you do yourself aftermarket in resale.

If you end up keeping it for a long time, you'll be glad you went that way and you will have everything you want right away.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
I went from a 2016 Tacoms TRD Sport to the JT Overland. Between me and the wife we have had 3 different JK's. All were reliable. I was already looking for a new truck as I was not happy with the Taco. Mainly the transmission. It has alot of quirks. The main one was when you punch it to pass (on a 2 lane road) the trans would go out of gear, engine rev and wouldnt go back into gear until rpm came down to 2500 or lower.
As I was looking at full size Chevy's they announced the JT release. Needless to say, I have had my Overland since Mid July. 2.5 in Mopar lift and JL 33 AT's from a friend. Been out on trails quite a bit and it goes where you wouldnt think it could. No issues to date.
16 Tacoma.jpg
UP 2.jpg

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Tacoma is hot garbage compared to...almost any truck. All it has is its reliability pedigree. Any maybe less road noise. Otherwise it has horrid ergonomics, its horribly under-geared...tows less, offroads like a 4Runner (mall crawler), the suspension is spongy and the interior is cheap. I wouldn't even compare the two.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

I bought an Overland last July. I have put over 7700 miles on it, and have no regrets. I plan to keep it for a long time, and got it with every available option. I have not had time to hit any trails, and have no plans for a lift. I did add a winch, some lights, and a second battery. I find it to be comfortable, and it rides very well. The size is good for me. It doesn't have a full size truck bed, but it is big enough for my needs. It's not a sports car, that I wouldn't be able to get in and out of anyway, but it is a convertible with a great sound system and I like that. ;)

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
My wife had a Camry for like a year. I HATED it. It was the worst car we've ever owned. I dreaded sitting in it every single day.

Also, my biggest concern with the Tacoma is the things that you listed. I prefer to drive a truck and/or a Jeep. The JT really ticks all my preferences, but I was nervous about the reliability.

Also, I can get a TRD OR Tacoma for $36k near me, but a Rubi will cost $42k +. I can swing the price, but I'd rather be in the $36-38k range. Maybe they will offer some incentives over the next couple of months that'll be worth it.
I got a pretty well optioned Sport Max Tow which got me the 4.10 gears and that package now includes a limited slip rear. I paid 38.6 for it. They are really dealing on these things now and they have a rebate so you could probably beat that price handily on a nice compromise to the full-tilt Rubicon.
Sponsored