Tow capacity

pkm

First Name
Pam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Can someone help me with the this? I purchased the Sport S with Max tow because I wanted a Gladiator that would have the largest capacity. Just about everyone is telling me something different. The dealer said the Sport S with MT would tow more than the Rubicon because of the weight of the Rubi but a trailer person (who is an expert on jeeps....) says the two have exactly the same tow capacity. The two trailers I am looking at, an airstream and a Black Series, tell me different tow capabilities depending on which person I get that day. My jeep has 35s but no lift. Here is the question, how heavy can I go with the trailer weight and tow safely? I do have a lot of trailering experience if it matters and after market trailer brakes on the Jeep. I would love to buy either the Airstream 27FB or the Black 19 but may have to settle for the 25FB or the 15. What say ye? Thank you.
Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Max Tow is rated for a 7650lb trailer. Rubicon is rated for a 7000lb trailer.

Keep in mind that anything beyond the driver is added weight. Additional people, gear, water in the trailer, stuff in the trailer etc. I'm personally going to stick to around 6000-6500 loaded. Dry trailer weight of no more than about 4000 lbs considering everything else I'll be carrying.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would definitely say those air streams are too heavy, especially with 35's. The tires alone have decreased your capacity without regearing to under 7000 lbs. The 27fb is almost 5900 dry with no extra people, gear, water etc. 3 adults and water alone can add 1000 lbs.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Towing capacity for sport s Max tow mt is only 4500pnds

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Towing capacity for sport s Max tow mt is only 4500pnds
I think by MT he meant max tow. There is no max tow with manual trans.

Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
AS others have said looking at trailers with dry weight numbers is pretty flawed. Everyone will be different depending on cargo. Your max tow capacity is based on a driver only. Now add in spouse and 2 kids with the dog in the back seat. You could easily loose 500# and you didn't put anything in the bed of the truck yet. Now add your cooler, some firewood,, bikes for the kids and we just lost 1000# off your max total. Trailer is even worse. Yup when you get it it will tow great, until you get home and fill the propane tanks, refrigerator, maybe fresh water tank, cell phone chargers, cloths, soap, hair spray, makeup (woman..lol), hair dryer, shampoo, dish soap, dishes, beer, food.... You get the point. No one thinks about this stuff until your going down the road at 60 mph in 20 mph wind. Then the truck drives like crap and is unsafe.

I wouldn't even look at a camper with a dry weight over 4K for a JT. I have towed plenty of campers that folks say tows great with my xyz...Have had 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. All have benefits others dont have. The JT can tow but if your towing at max or over payloads it wont be fun at all.
Sponsored