Sponsored

Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same!

OP
OP
GreenMountainBillyGoat

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.VermontBackcountryCottages.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
goat roper
I don't actually own the tractor and trailer yet, but I would agree that the trailer likely will weight 1500lbs. I should also add that I'd only be towing between 5-30miles , but there would likely be a good hill involved at some point. I don't need to go fast...this is rural Vermont.

I just want to be able to move my tractor from one property to another, most often no more than 7 miles. Maybe 6 times a year.
Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
You will be maxed out quick with the weight of the JD plus implement.

What are you going to do for a brake controller?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is not a huge problem ... You should be able to change the rear end gearing to 4.10 ... People do it all the time ... It will cost a few bucks but it wont break the bank ...
Still won't change the legal capacity, the springs and COOLING. The max tow has a bigger alternator and bigger fan.
The gearing would cost about 2 grand parts and labor.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What does your trailer weigh? I’d imagine it’s at least 1500 lbs and what does the implement weigh? Those typically aren’t light. Google says your tractor weighs 4650 lbs. I’d think you’d be over 6485 lbs.
That's the point I was going to ask.
My flatbed ALL ALUMINUM trailer (except axles of course) weighs 1500 without the tool box and without the spare tire. It's a very light trailer. Most are over that. My other trailer was something like 2100 pounds empty, no spare, no tool box.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wider axles, cooling, and alternator are the other big reasons for tow rating, limiting factor really being cooling. So no, adding 4.10 gears will not get you there. The tow package has the alternator and cooling system I believe, but you still dont have the wider axles
And the payload - if the trailer and tractor are 6,000 together, likely MORE, then the TONGUE WEIGHT will be over 600 pounds.
So the original poster person has to take this all into account.

The sport or sport S with basic towing package would be similar to the Overland in most respects.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
And the payload - if the trailer and tractor are 6,000 together, likely MORE, then the TONGUE WEIGHT will be over 600 pounds.
So the original poster person has to take this all into account.

The sport or sport S with basic towing package would be similar to the Overland in most respects.
Yes, and that is why the stiffer progressive rear springs are a part of the tow rating

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
This is not a huge problem ... You should be able to change the rear end gearing to 4.10 ... People do it all the time ... It will cost a few bucks but it wont break the bank ...
Max Tow is more than 4:10 ratio, also has wider axle, better cooling, larger electrical, and brakes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Agree on all things. But it is 4.10. Look it up. I have the option on mine.
What option - the 4.10 ratio? That's not an option on most levels - for example, Rubicon comes with it, period, Overland comes with 3.73, period, Sport comes with 3.73, period. Sport S with MAX TOW comes with 4.10
Those aren't optional ratios, it's what that level comes with.
I could not get 4.10 with Overland, Sport could not get 4.10 as an option.

Is that the "option" you mean?
Just because you have the 4.10 ratio has nothing to do with towing or payload.
You don't have max tow. You may have the 4.10 ratio, but not max tow.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Here

I'm going off of this and what I read on the jeep website when I considered a sport.

Yes. Mojave and Rubicon come with 4.10 no matter what.

"If you’re just looking for the best towing and payload capability, the 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport or Sport S would be your best best. The base Sport model provides the best payload capacity, while the optional Max Tow Package with a 4.10 rear axle ratio provides the best towing capability in the Gladiator range."

In any event I may be wrong. Just what I read and seem to remember.

It is commonly referred to as an option. Only on the sport I guess. But seems to be an option as I read it.

I guess it also requires more than just the ratio. If that is what I think you are saying. Agreed.

Just trying to help the OP.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here

I'm going off of this and what I read on the jeep website when I considered a sport.

Yes. Mojave and Rubicon come with 4.10 no matter what.

"If you’re just looking for the best towing and payload capability, the 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport or Sport S would be your best best. The base Sport model provides the best payload capacity, while the optional Max Tow Package with a 4.10 rear axle ratio provides the best towing capability in the Gladiator range."

In any event I may be wrong. Just what I read and seem to remember.

It is commonly referred to as an option. Only on the sport I guess. But seems to be an option as I read it.

I guess it also requires more than just the ratio. If that is what I think you are saying. Agreed.

Just trying to help the OP.
Ah, I see - the 4.10 ratio does not give it max tow. But max tow has the 4.10 ratio. Max tow is a whooole lot more than just that ratio!
It almost reads as if the max tow is the 4.10 ratio but it is not.
It's the max tow package "with the 4.10" ratio - it includes it, but it is not it.
The max tow package is a whole package that includes that ratio but is not limited to the ratio.
So you can't change the ratio and have max tow.

Max tow is the optional package that includes the 4.10 but also a whole lot more.
Basically, if you buy the max tow PACKAGE, you get the 4.10 as part of the package.

Lives The Dream

First Name
Meericole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 cj5, 1995 YJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JT
What option - the 4.10 ratio? That's not an option on most levels - for example, Rubicon comes with it, period, Overland comes with 3.73, period, Sport comes with 3.73, period. Sport S with MAX TOW comes with 4.10
Those aren't optional ratios, it's what that level comes with.
I could not get 4.10 with Overland, Sport could not get 4.10 as an option.
The sport or sport s can get the Max Tow package.

Also the tow package and the Max tow get the heavy duty cooling and alternator, as well as the trailer hitch zoom.

The Max tow additionally gets the wider axles, the heavier rated springs, Trac Lok, AT tires, and day time running lights as part of the package.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I can understand why it would be sickening to expect the higher capacity and get something less. I would definitely see what the dealer can do to help. You never know 'till you ask.

That said, it sounds like you're pretty close to your capacity. That capacity should take into account driving up and down hills, mountains, curves, highway speeds, etc., all for extended amounts of time. Driving a few miles down a country road just a few times a year wouldn't concern me all that much, even if you're at your maximum capacity.

Don't take this to mean I condone exceding the capacity - I don't like getting even close to it because I sometimes tow a trailer across several states. What it sounds like to me is that it's possible that you'd be right on the capacity, and a few easy miles just a few times a year at capacity should be okay. I wouldn't take it out on the highway for a trip, but that doesn't sound at all like what your intent is.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Jeep does a poor job with specifying the tow capacities for the various models, power trains and option packages on their web site. The only numbers I can find for the Sport S is with a manual trans., 4000# or max tow (w/ auto - which is the only trans available) @7650#. Based on other threads in this forum and non-Jeep sources it appears that the tow capacity w/ an auto bumps up to 4500# but is that with or without the standard two package? I've also seen reference to a 6000# capacity for the S (maybe auto w/ standard tow) - really confusing or maybe it's just me :) ? There is no official tow capacity table from Jeep, at least that I can find? Maybe they are trying to get you to contact or visit a dealer to get actual spec. numbers? Does anyone have the official numbers?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The sport or sport s can get the Max Tow package.

Also the tow package and the Max tow get the heavy duty cooling and alternator, as well as the trailer hitch zoom.

The Max tow additionally gets the wider axles, the heavier rated springs, Trac Lok, AT tires, and day time running lights as part of the package.
WHERE are you getting that info??

As of 2020 model year - and this is from the dealer I bough from AND the official paperwork from Jeep (I have the charts and the info was even posted here early last year) -
ONLY Sport S could get Max Tow,
Sport could not. Otherwise - what's the difference between Sport and Sport S?
and only RUBICON got trac lok and A/T tires.
There are Sport S max tow owners here who will differ with you some of those things for sure.

Unless they changed things for 2021, that is.
Otherwise, you are saying that if you get any Sport or Sport S with max tow - you have RUBICON axles and it's almost a Rubicon save for the hood and sway bar disconnect.
Max tow springs are progressive springs, not the same as the heavier Rubicon springs.

There are differences between alternators, too - there were three levels as far as 2020 model year.
Sponsored