Sponsored

Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same!

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
When I bought my Sport S with Max Tow, I really had to do the research. I am pulling a 6k trailer with 600 tongue weight with no problems. The engine spins up pretty high when climbing but it gets the job done. The dealer wanted to sell me from their inventory, just tow package, and I had to explain to them what I wanted. Not all salesmen are up to speed on all the specs. They finally found one on a different lot in another city and brought it to me. I am more than satisfied.
IMO, get the truck you want instead of trying to modify your existing one.
For the most part. In October and during the shutdown pickings were slim around here. I had to forgo the aux switch group and cargo management group. But the big things like hard top, max tow, and cold weather group were not things I or wife would do without
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
IF you are referring to the alternator for sale here for 100 - that's not the highest output. That's the one in the middle if I recall correctly. That's likely why it's still for sale.
Why do you keep saying there’s a difference between the tow package alternator and the Max Tow alternator? The max tow has the same 240 volt alternator as my Overland with tow package. Same cooling system too. I have the aux switches too, but it does change the alternator. It’s the tow package that gave my Jeep the 240 volt.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you keep saying there’s a difference between the tow package alternator and the Max Tow alternator? The max tow has the same 240 volt alternator as my Overland with tow package. Same cooling system too. I have the aux switches too, but it does change the alternator. It’s the tow package that gave my Jeep the 240 volt.
The one for sale is lower output than mine.
The one for sale is a 220 amp, mine is a 240. I believe the Sport has a lower output than 220 (non-tow equipped, that is)
I'll have to look at the charts I had saved last year.

Better not have 240 volts.........

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
I hate to say it but I think the load the op is looking to pull is out of even a max tow JT’s comfort zone. If you add a front end loader and something like a bush hog etc it’s going to be overweight maybe even without the trailer- implements for that size tractor are heavy. I own a JD 3320 which is the mid size model of the next frame size smaller tractor series, it’s dry weight is over 1000lbs less and I struggle to keep it under 7k total with my trailer (18ft steel tandem utility weighs 1900 itself). Realistically I think you would really need a 10k equipment trailer for a 4 series tractor, which will add even more trailer weight.

I dont haul my tractor much anymore- maybe once a year if that, but a few years back when I was hauling it once a month or so I traded a Ram 1500 for a 2500.

And remember, even if you add every piece of equipment the max tow has to the regular sport the door jamb sticker doesnt change. Legally it will never have the max tow capacity.

Lives The Dream

First Name
Meericole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 cj5, 1995 YJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JT
Jeep Gladiator Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same! 1600180625763

Both tow packages get the 240 alternator you also get it with no tow package when you order the auxiliary switches, so if you get a tow package and the auxiliary switches you are paying twice for the same alternator.

Sponsored

Lives The Dream

First Name
Meericole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same! 1600181706054

Lives The Dream

First Name
Meericole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same! 1600181807094

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's TOTALLY different than when I ordered. Back in October and November of 2019, "max tow" was ONLY available on Sport S - NOT Sport without the S. You couldn't get some of the other options, either. They've either made big changes, or, like I found out when ordering, the "build your own" was screwed up and WRONG.
The dealer showed me his screen and I showed him my printouts and the Jeep build site was way off on some stuff. Bluntly, it was wrong. We tried several things because I did it on the build site, but it could not be ordered that way.
In short, I don't always believe what the Jeep dot com build site says - if the dealer can order it, it's there, if the dealer can't order it, it's wrong.

And on towing - that's a huge change from just a year ago according to the screen shots above.

That screen shot also indicates that I was correct in that the Sport without tow package gets a smaller alternator than the 220 or 240. The dealer showed me the specs on that.

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
lots of differences jeep does not advertise the 5 wheel towing cap for the max tox package mine stated 8166lbs

horsetrailer.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lots of differences jeep does not advertise the 5 wheel towing cap for the max tox package mine stated 8166lbs
Your door sticker says 8166??
Door sticker numbers are god and law, not that web site that has everyone's numbers all screwed up.
You have checked the axle ratings, MGVW and all that?

What sort of PAYLOAD are you hauling with a trailer like that? It counts against payload numbers...

If something happens, that door sticker is what FCA, the law and insurance goes by. Dunno where that web site gets numbers like negative 1 and other crazy stuff from, but it's way out of whack in some cases. Don't trust that, trust your sticker, that's what the highway patrol will go by.

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That's TOTALLY different than when I ordered. Back in October and November of 2019, "max tow" was ONLY available on Sport S - NOT Sport without the S. You couldn't get some of the other options, either. They've either made big changes, or, like I found out when ordering, the "build your own" was screwed up and WRONG.
The dealer showed me his screen and I showed him my printouts and the Jeep build site was way off on some stuff. Bluntly, it was wrong. We tried several things because I did it on the build site, but it could not be ordered that way.
In short, I don't always believe what the Jeep dot com build site says - if the dealer can order it, it's there, if the dealer can't order it, it's wrong.

And on towing - that's a huge change from just a year ago according to the screen shots above.

That screen shot also indicates that I was correct in that the Sport without tow package gets a smaller alternator than the 220 or 240. The dealer showed me the specs on that.
The Sport (non S) Max Tow was late availability I believe. There are a couple people on here that have it.

The Trac Lok (limited slip, not TruTrac that's on the Rubicon) became part of the max tow package late 2020 model year also. I have a June '19 build max tow and the package was $995 on mine and no Trac Lok. On late 2020 model year versions, the max tow package was I think $1,295 when they added the Trac Lok to it. There was even a period in between where max tow was $1,095. Things change mid model year all the time.

Late 2020 they made painted fenders, LED package, and the 8.4" radio available on Sport S also where they weren't at first.

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
trailer weights 3400 with a 1200lbs tennesse walker and a 900lbs american paint waiting on trip to pea island NC . max tougue weight on the fifth is in the photo . If i get stuck my 2 wranglers have no problem towing me out.

Brraaapp

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Hvac
So I JUST looking into this yesterday!
A couple weeks ago I purchased a gladiator rubicon and on my sticker it DOES NOT say max tow package but!.... it has the larger fan, the 240A alternator and 4.10 gears and I confirmed this by googling the part numbers on the fan and alternator

02D1D09E-8AEE-4E78-8136-6E85FA9BDF34.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Sport (non S) Max Tow was late availability I believe. There are a couple people on here that have it.

The Trac Lok (limited slip, not TruTrac that's on the Rubicon) became part of the max tow package late 2020 model year also. I have a June '19 build max tow and the package was $995 on mine and no Trac Lok. On late 2020 model year versions, the max tow package was I think $1,295 when they added the Trac Lok to it. There was even a period in between where max tow was $1,095. Things change mid model year all the time.

Late 2020 they made painted fenders, LED package, and the 8.4" radio available on Sport S also where they weren't at first.
AND had all of those things you mentioned been available when I ordered, I'd have a Sport S max tow right now. Yeah, know about mid-year changes. It's really nasty when you go to do repairs and you have to take home both parts because you can't determine from the parts store book exactly what they mean by "late model year". U-joints, wiring harnesses (mid-model year 1970 AMC changed the connection to the parking lights/turn signals up front - why? Who knows, but if you find those lights you'd bettter know which version you need)

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
sport s with locking 4.10 gears and standard tires is the max tow package i believe everything else is 3.73 gears
Sponsored