Sponsored

Tow package on a Mojave, is it worth it?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all,

I'm very close to placing an order for a Mojave and am going over everything to make sure I don't miss anything.

I tow often and originally intended to get the factory tow kit for $500.

But I started looking at it and it includes.

larger alternator
receiver hitch
rear camera zoom
"heavy duty cooling".

It doesn't seem worth it to me. I can get a similar hitch for $175.
Because of my options, I'll already have the larger alternator.

So my question is this.

1) can you configure the zoom with Tazer?
2) what is "heavy duty cooling". Is it actually something? Is the radiator or oil cooler larger?
I know what they say. Has anyone ever actually seen a difference?
**update - The heavy duty cooling is just a fan with a 10% higher power rating. The radiator is the same.

In all I'm thinking I'll save $300+ and just knock it off in a couple of hours.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark_Iron_Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[2021 Sarge Mojave]
Hi all,

I'm very close to placing an order for a Mojave and am going over everything to make sure I don't miss anything.

I tow often and originally intended to get the factory tow kit for $500.

But I started lookin at it and it includes.

larger alternator
receiver hitch
rear camera zoom
"heavy duty cooling".

It doesn't seem worth it to me. I can get a similar hitch for $175.
Because of my options, I'll already have the larger alternator.

So my question is this.

2) what is "heavy duty cooling". Is it actually something? Is the radiator or oil cooler larger?
I know what they say. Has anyone ever actually seen a difference?

In all I'm thinking I'll save $300+ and just knock it off in a couple of hours.
I can't answer #1, but for #2, you get an 850w engine cooler instead of the standard 600w. People say that is a big upgrade.

Time to start pricing out engine coolers to figure out of parts/labor is $325 or less. There's also the funding aspect of it. Are you taking a loan this can be rolled into, paying cash, etc. Be sure to factor in your liquidity breaking point; saving $25 on this isn't worth it if it taxes the bank account next month.

WRT #1 though, are you buying a tazer just for this project? If so, then 100% of that cost needs to be factored in. If you're doing a handful of programming tasks, then not as much, but some dollar amount should be still accounted for in the final calculus of "is it worth it".

Personally, if I towed regularly, it'd be a no-brainer Get it from the factory and under warranty.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
All Mopar parts lists 2 fans. One is $303 the other is $382. I am guessing the 382 is the more powerful one.

I don't know this one but I would check to see if a truck without the tow package still comes with the 4 and 8 pin trailer connectors installed. That would be money added.

Also check the build sheet. Some options reduce the cost of others as they include the same parts. Like the safety group and LED light group.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on what Dark iron mentioned above, I was able to figure out that the "heavy duty cooling" is just a larger fan.

Which isn't really relevant to me. I'm in the northeast. Cooling isn't really a factor.

Your question about the trailer connector is a good one.

***Does a Gladiator without the trailer tow package come with a trailer connector? *****

I don't know. - - yet.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
My 2 cents, which is all it's worth.
The tow package is what? $550?
Just buying the OEM hitch is $300.

You think you might not need the stronger fan, but since you said you plan to tow a lot, remember the stronger fan isn't just related to ambient temps. When you are towing a heavier load, you are generating more heat with the engine and the transmission. Especially towing in New England mountains. The better fan will help dissipate that heat, allowing the drivetrain to run cooler, which also translates to running longer.

Now here's the last thing. Without the towing package, I believe all Gladiators are factory rated to tow 3,500lbs. That's what the DOT sticker on the door is going to say, if gd forbid you get in an accident towing, and that's what the dealership is going to say if you need to warranty the driveline at some point.

So, for $250ish dollars extra, you get the proper fan for towing, you save yourself the trouble of removing the rear bumper assembly and installing the hitch, and you have the peace of mind that comes from knowing the factory certified the vehicle to tow the weight it's capable of towing.

It's one thing if you were debating spending $250 on a $2000 shitbox, but you're spending $50k-$60k already, spend the extra $4/month and do it right.

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just looked at the 2022 order guide. 2 things jumped out:
1: If you're doing it right, the tow package is costing you less then $500. That makes it even a better deal compared to doing it yourself.
2: Unless you're just towing little utility trailers (in which case, just use a ball on the step bumper), consider spending another $350 and let the factory install the brake controller. That wasn't an option for '20-'21.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Bigger fan for cooling also helps off-roading when the engine is working hard.

2: Unless you're just towing little utility trailers (in which case, just use a ball on the step bumper), consider spending another $350 and let the factory install the brake controller. That wasn't an option for '20-'21.
You'll lose the cigarette lighter.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yea this is not where if look to save money. Pretty sure you don't get the 7 pin harness without the tow package. Also the sticker in your door jam is going to dictate the amount you can legally tow, which will be lower than if you have the tow package. So if you got close to a stock setup, you still couldn't legally tow more than what that sticker dictates.

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
It shouldn’t even be a question, get it. The sticker in the door jamb that allows you to legally tow more than 3500 pounds is worth the $500.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll lose the cigarette lighter.
This is true, and the main reason I am not going that route myself. But doesnt seem to be a concern for most people. Truthfully, I'm pushing almost 13k miles, and I have yet to use it, but I still don't want to give it up.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
To recap from 2 year old threads:

ALL Gladiators have 4-pin and 7-pin connection

If you don't take a tow package, you get a Class II frame mounted hitch to accommodate a ball in the bumper. In order to install a Class IV hitch, you have to remove the old one and then install the new one.

The HD cooling is a larger radiator fan. Very nice to have.

The trailer hitch zoom is AWESOME for that last 12 inches to go before your ball is where it needs to be under the coupler. VERY nice to getting it perfect the first time.

If you know you'll be towing, get the towing package!

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know, maybe?
The Tazer can:

Set Trailer Tow: Configure the vehicle for MOPAR trailer towing wiring kit

Since all the Gladiators have the wiring, that may just be for the Wrangler.
Does it also enable the zoom feature? IDK. Might dig around the Wrangler side of things to see.

Also, do non-tow package Gladiators have the " The Trailer Sway Control system detects when your trailer is swaying and will apply brake pressure to individual wheels of the Gladiator to help bring it back in line." and/or is it activated by that setting as well? Again, IDK, but food for thought.
Sponsored