First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, TJ
Occupation
System Administrator
So I will be going on a (several states down 95) long journey with a 2021 Gladiator, I want to tow a small car oneway (2011 Mazda 2) and packing for a 1 week vacay. Will the Curt Class 3 2 " Hitch work, or will I need something more robust like the Drawtite frame hitch? this is basically a stock 2021 rubicon jeep gladiator.
Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Did your JT come with the OEM tow package?

OP
OP
dslfreak

dslfreak

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, TJ
Occupation
System Administrator
It has connections for 4 and 7 pin trailer connections but no hitch was included as i purchased it used, the window sticker lists a class II hitch

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Class III is good up to 8,000 pounds, so your 2400 pound car is good on that.

You could go with a Class II, good to 3500 pounds. But if you load much in the car for the haul you may be pushing it. Plus the tow dolly might put you over the 3500.

You need to check on your route and the State(s) you're going through. States have different requirements when it comes to trailer brakes, which is based on weight of what is being towed.

If you need trailer brakes, you need a controller to make them work.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
My JTM didn't have the tow package either. Removed the class II bumper hitch and installed the Mopar Class IV receiver hitch. Easy peasy.

Without the factory tow package, we don't have the 240-amp alternator, heavy-duty engine cooling or trailer-hitch zoom. Not an issue for me.

Your Mazda 2 is 2,306 lbs. and throw in another 500 lbs. for the tow dolly. even if you add a few hundred pounds of weight for gas and gear, you'll still be around 3,100 lbs. Piece of cake.

2020-2022 Jeep Gladiator Hitch Receiver 82215648 | Mopar Estores

Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
That car with the little tow dolly should weigh less than 3,000 lbs? If that's the case then I think all the Gladiators would tow that safely even if it's a manual transmission.

I would personally not want to max out my hitches ability to tow what the vehicle is rated for. I would go with class 3 at a minimum, and check your exact truck in your owners manual to see what your towing capacity really is. You should be fine with that load but you'd benefit going forward by knowing exactly what your truck's limits are.

Keep in mind that any lifts, big tires, extra steel bolted on, etc., can reduce your towing ability from the factory specs.

OP
OP
dslfreak

dslfreak

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, TJ
Occupation
System Administrator
That car with the little tow dolly should weigh less than 3,000 lbs? If that's the case then I think all the Gladiators would tow that safely even if it's a manual transmission.

I would personally not want to max out my hitches ability to tow what the vehicle is rated for. I would go with class 3 at a minimum, and check your exact truck in your owners manual to see what your towing capacity really is. You should be fine with that load but you'd benefit going forward by knowing exactly what your truck's limits are.

Keep in mind that any lifts, big tires, extra steel bolted on, etc., can reduce your towing ability from the factory specs.
I was looking at adding this https://www.quadratec.com/p/curt/class-iii-2-inch-receiver-hitch-gladiator-jt-13434 but I didnt want the bumper falling off mid drive

Jeep Gladiator Towing a car with Uhaul Tow Dolly 20220725_171319

OP
OP
dslfreak

dslfreak

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, TJ
Occupation
System Administrator
My JTM didn't have the tow package either. Removed the class II bumper hitch and installed the Mopar Class IV receiver hitch. Easy peasy.

Without the factory tow package, we don't have the 240-amp alternator, heavy-duty engine cooling or trailer-hitch zoom. Not an issue for me.

Your Mazda 2 is 2,306 lbs. and throw in another 500 lbs. for the tow dolly. even if you add a few hundred pounds of weight for gas and gear, you'll still be around 3,100 lbs. Piece of cake.

2020-2022 Jeep Gladiator Hitch Receiver 82215648 | Mopar Estores
I was looking at this https://www.quadratec.com/p/curt/class-iii-2-inch-receiver-hitch-gladiator-jt-13434

OP
OP
dslfreak

dslfreak

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, TJ
Occupation
System Administrator
Class III is good up to 8,000 pounds, so your 2400 pound car is good on that.

You could go with a Class II, good to 3500 pounds. But if you load much in the car for the haul you may be pushing it. Plus the tow dolly might put you over the 3500.

You need to check on your route and the State(s) you're going through. States have different requirements when it comes to trailer brakes, which is based on weight of what is being towed.

If you need trailer brakes, you need a controller to make them work.
I was looking at this https://www.quadratec.com/p/curt/class-iii-2-inch-receiver-hitch-gladiator-jt-13434

Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Even with the factory tow package on my Mojave (if it had it) the towing capacity would be just over 6,000 pounds.

I just like to keep things all Mopar. The cost is so close to anything else out there and you get a class IV. Then I am confident that there will be no fitment issues. That is just me. I am sure the Curt class III will do just fine.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74

That is why I recommend the Mopar Class IV. The OP wants the Curt class III.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Thanks thats what I was trying to figure out,
The one you linked, ties to the frame connector behind your bumper and you either drill through the bumper to attach it to the top of the frame brace, or remove the bumper. If you're going to take the bumper off anyway, might as well buy the one that is all welded and not have to worry about checking bolts.

Last I looked, you can get either for close to the same price.
Sponsored