Sponsored

Towing a T@B 400 Nucamp Teardrop Trailer (Single Axle)

robin.tanner

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ruby
Occupation
Director
So T@B 400's are awesome little trailers and I'd love to get one but I've been told that anything I haul with my jeep should really be double axle. My question is can I haul this teardrop trailer without too much risk or do I need to be looking for a double axle trailer?
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
So T@B 400's are awesome little trailers and I'd love to get one but I've been told that anything I haul with my jeep should really be double axle. My question is can I haul this teardrop trailer without too much risk or do I need to be looking for a double axle trailer?
That does not make sense .. Did they say why ? Does it state in your owners manual to only tow dual axle trailers ?

Id think not ...

OP
OP

robin.tanner

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ruby
Occupation
Director
That does not make sense .. Did they say why ? Does it state in your owners manual to only tow dual axle trailers ?

Id think not ...
Multiple people were telling me because of the weight of the truck..but since it's such a light trailer it's fine? Said any strong winds with a single axle would be difficult.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Multiple people were telling me because of the weight of the truck..but since it's such a light trailer it's fine? Said any strong winds with a single axle would be difficult.
We tow single axle trailers all the time ... No issues ...

They may be correct (technically) and it may be easier on you if it were very windy. But, there is no specific reason to NOT do it ...

The Gladiator weighs 5000 pounds ... It is a small"er" but is is not small ...

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
If you have a choice and tandem is an option yes it tows better less prone to destructive flats, but the Tab trailers are light enough that tandem axle is only option. You could get a weight distributing hitch, but even that is not really needed. There is a Tab dealer near me very well made campers with beautiful cabinets , not cheap but nice......Jack

Sponsored

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
The only big risk with single axle trailers is that tire failures can do more damage quickly. Replace tires based on age and exposure to UV rays, not necessarily based on mileage.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
The only big risk with single axle trailers is that tire failures can do more damage quickly. Replace tires based on age and exposure to UV rays, not necessarily based on mileage.
good to know as a soon to be first time trailer owner

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Stop asking us and go get it, life is too short!
Please for the love of God tell us you are getting the Boondock option with 15” tires at least...Ha!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
good to know as a soon to be first time trailer owner
Also a larger trailer with double axles is way easier to back up somehow to. I can rock a 16ft one anywhere with a mini van, give me a 4-8ft single axle and I will look like those guys at the boat ramps everybody makes fun of.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Not necessarily true... I tow many single axle trailers with my JT, and previously with my Dakota Sport. I added MaxTow springs to my JT Sport to help keep the truck level with heavy loads and tongue weight trailers, but it towed our Tab400 very nicely, no trailer sway before making the change. Trailer sway is more to do with trailer weight distribution than the number of axles you have. Yes backing a dual axles trailer is easier, but backing the TaB400 is not difficult, easier than my log splitter or small boat trailer. The closer the trailers axle is to to the Tv, the more careful you need to be backing up.

If getting a new 2021 TaB400, You want the Boondock version, it includes roof mounted solar, along with the larger off-road tires and higher ground clearance.
Get the Victron Battery monitor added also. If you need or use AC, avoid the 2020 models. The 2021 models has also shifted the axle forward a few inches to reduce tongue weight to offset for the CoolCat AC which is in the front.

The TaBs are best in class due to the high end equipment used, like the Alde 3020 heating system, that uses hydronic radIant system to heat the cabin, and provide hot domestic water. Construction includes high end all birch (marine/cabinet grade multi-layer) plywood. The floor and shell contain no plywood, but use a composite material called Azdel, which is layered with insulation between the layers.

You do not want to use a weight distribution hitch with a TaB400 and the JT, you will shift some of your truck weight to the trailer’s axle, and could overload the trailer axle. An anti sway bar is OK, but not really needed either, if you keep your speed below 60mph. People get into trouble towing large trailers by going too fast. The TaB is 2800lbs, up to 3500lbs fully loaded.
cheers

Last edited:

Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I pull a 16' Scamp fiberglass trailer with single axle. 2200# with 249# tongue weight, no weight distribution hitch.
If it a T@B you want then @TrailHiker just gave you the best run down you could have asked for.
Go for it!

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
I have a liberty outdoor mini max but want to upgrade to the tab 400. Both are great trailers. The tab 400 is a little heavier than my mini max but no issues towjng it with my jtr.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I have no issue towing our 2018 TaB400 Behind the Jeep JT, tows trailers better than my Dakota MaxTow rig did.
cheers

Last edited:

tstugel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
There may be an advantage to tandem axel trailers in high winds, but tandem axel trailers also push the truck around a lot more. I pull both and the only issue I have is the truck is under-powered making towing long distances at 75 plus MPH exhausting. Jeep missed the mark of not offereing a larger engine with more HP and torque, IMHO. I have added inexpensive air bags to keep the rear from squatting and that made a huge difference.

Reactions: KVJ

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I've towed my single-axle Retro R135 literally thousands of miles without a single problem (see what I did there?). I have a Sport with the tow package (not the MaxTow). Get out there and enjoy yourself.
Jeep Gladiator Towing a T@B 400 Nucamp Teardrop Trailer (Single Axle) MVF_3878
Sponsored