First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
So, I know that the Jeep platform is probably the most popular choice for towing behind motorhomes, and I faithfully follow all the recommendations. But, the engineer in me needs to know what is going on in the transfer case while towing: when the transfer case is in Neutral what exactly is connected to what, and what is disconnected?
Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Drive shafts and engine are all disconnected. Dont worry been towing jeeps 4 down since my 74CJ

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
The Book says tow 4-down or 4-up - no dollies allowed. My question is: with the transfer case in Neutral are the front and rear drive shafts still connected to each other, and disconnected from the transmission, or are they disconnected? Seems to me, based on the stated restriction, that the drive shafts must be connected to each other - it makes sense to me, because to get to Neutral we first go through 4Hi, which connects the drive shafts so then going into Neutral just disconnects the transmission.

We towed our old '88 YJ, and now we're towing a '17 JKU and a '20 JT, so I know they tow fine I'm just trying to understand the mechanical operation of the TC ...
Sponsored