Towing before 300mi break in

alwyslpy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
So, we have a pretty long drive back after picking up the jeep. Considering towing the Subaru impreza back.. probably a bad idea? Nothing in manual about towing before break in that I found
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Why not? They want speed varied, and a load pushes the rings out against the cylinder walls actually enhancing the break-in effect.
I know I'd do it. Frankly, the beast is pretty much broken in by the time you get it. The idea after that is VARY speed. Don't set the cruise at 75 mph for three hours. Vary speed and load and you'll be fine.
I had thought about taking my 04 WJ to a dealer to pick up a Gladiator and then hooking my car hauler to the JT and hauling the WJ back home - the kicker is that the Gladiator would come with no brake controller......... so that lets that out.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Why not? They want speed varied, and a load pushes the rings out against the cylinder walls actually enhancing the break-in effect.
I know I'd do it. Frankly, the beast is pretty much broken in by the time you get it. The idea after that is VARY speed. Don't set the cruise at 75 mph for three hours. Vary speed and load and you'll be fine.
I had thought about taking my 04 WJ to a dealer to pick up a Gladiator and then hooking my car hauler to the JT and hauling the WJ back home - the kicker is that the Gladiator would come with no brake controller......... so that lets that out.
Installing an aftermarket brake controller is a 5 minute job. Just get the factory plug connector and hook it up before towing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Installing an aftermarket brake controller is a 5 minute job. Just get the factory plug connector and hook it up before towing.
I need to choose one and get the correct plug or pigtail - I've installed several before but not on Jeeps......... done it on Ford, Chevy, etc. but never on Jeep but I understand the plug is a 4 wire connector by the left kick panel.
So, as long as a person had the CORRECT pigtail or harness that worked with the adaptive cruise, it should be simple.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I need to choose one and get the correct plug or pigtail - I've installed several before but not on Jeeps......... done it on Ford, Chevy, etc. but never on Jeep but I understand the plug is a 4 wire connector by the left kick panel.
So, as long as a person had the CORRECT pigtail or harness that worked with the adaptive cruise, it should be simple.
That’s correct. You would need to order the connector made for the JL/JT but many sites offer it as a kit with the brake controller. It is located under the panel below the steering wheel near the brake pedal. Just reach up under and you will find it. Mine was clipped up but was the only disconnected plug sitting under there.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s correct. You would need to order the connector made for the JL/JT but many sites offer it as a kit with the brake controller. It is located under the panel below the steering wheel near the brake pedal. Just reach up under and you will find it. Mine was clipped up but was the only disconnected plug sitting under there.
Some say that it takes a special plug/harness with a diode to prevent feedback with the adaptive cruise......... otherwise it can throw an error or such.
I need to decide on a controller - want one that would be like factory - and with manual control as well - slide a lever or push a button to apply the brakes manually as well as the inertia control.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Some say that it takes a special plug/harness with a diode to prevent feedback with the adaptive cruise......... otherwise it can throw an error or such.
I need to decide on a controller - want one that would be like factory - and with manual control as well - slide a lever or push a button to apply the brakes manually as well as the inertia control.
This is what I installed and it looks like a factory install. Came with the pigtail and I have adaptive cruise and haven’t noticed any issues.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/curt-spectrum-brake-controller-installed.20575/

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you can turn the knob to apply the brakes manually.
but isn't that how you set the sensitivity? So you'd change that and have to set it back after each application manually?
The old style controllers had a knob to set the brake "harshness" or sensitivity of the unit, and then a lever to apply them manually and you never disturbed the brake settings that way.
So you'd have to put it back each time after using manually? Not sure I'd be a fan of that.........

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
but isn't that how you set the sensitivity? So you'd change that and have to set it back after each application manually?
The old style controllers had a knob to set the brake "harshness" or sensitivity of the unit, and then a lever to apply them manually and you never disturbed the brake settings that way.
So you'd have to put it back each time after using manually? Not sure I'd be a fan of that.........
It has different functions and setting sensitivity is set by pushing the button then turning the knob. Different settings each time you push the button. You may be able to download the manual from their website for more information.
Check out the manual online. Shows all the functions and how it works:

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51170

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It has different functions and setting sensitivity is set by pushing the button then turning the knob. Different settings each time you push the button. You may be able to download the manual from their website for more information.

Check out the manual online. Shows all the functions and how it works:

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51170
I'll look into manuals but I think your explanation I took care of my question. I was concerned it was one for both - but pushing to set the sensitivity and then simply turning to apply the brakes - that sounds fine. That way if you apply the brakes manually you've not changed anything - unless of course you push, too! Thanks -that sounds like what I would like. And to think the dealer wanted 390 to get a controller installed - of course THEY don't do it, they'd take it to another place to have it installed. Good grief, can't they do anything complex - like plugging in a single connector to the vehicle? This thing looks plug and play.
I was concerned because of the talk about people applying the controller and kicking an error - and they had to use a diode in one of the controller wires with the adaptive cruise. Sounds like it worked fine unless there was no trailer, or they applied brakes manually or some sequence of events. If you've had no issues - and I like the looks, this may be the way for me. I want it to LOOK factory, take little space and not be hanging in the way somewhere.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I can wait for the factory kit to be available. Then I will make a decision on factory or after market.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I can wait for the factory kit to be available. Then I will make a decision on factory or after market.
That was my original plan - it sort of depends on how things shake out such as if I stick with the original ordered vehicle or not and go with someone different, then a biggy will be the price difference between the after-market and the Jeep version. If one is 500 and this one is 200 - I'd have to think awfully hard before paying more than double just to get the Jeep version - and the way they price parts, that's not out of the realm of possibilities.
Sponsored