First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Enterprise Software
I’m kind of a newb to Jeeping, really enjoy the experience. My question is around doing some more adventurous things with my JT Rubicon. I have a blue ox tow bar that was recently installed and I am starting to have a little buyers remorse. Remorse in that I heard about the Maximus 3 after having the blue ox base plate installed. I’m curious how limiting the base plate will be in taking my family on some legitimate trails on our next trip out west. Any advice from others in my shoes would be welcomed.. not looking to get a new setup unless I have to. Thanks!

B2989756-7240-4D57-A84C-1B40E70A3C89.jpeg
Sponsored

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I also have a Rubicon with the Blue Ox baseplate installed. There is no issues off road. It does make it challenging to install a winch if desired, but not impossible.

OP
OP
MtbgnarJT

MtbgnarJT

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Enterprise Software
I also have a Rubicon with the Blue Ox baseplate installed. There is no issues off road. It does make it challenging to install a winch if desired, but not impossible.
Thanks for the feedback, did you end up putting a winch on as well? If so what does your setup look like?.. it’s definitely on my wishlist.

en2dirt

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I have Roadmaster mounts on mine and was wondering the same thing. I have already figured out it might be difficult to mount a winch with the stock steel bumper. Anyone out there have success with this?

bjohnsonmn

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I went with the Roadmaster hidden base plates on my Rubicon with the steel bumper.

To make the winch fit, I used the bulldog base plate, but had it modified to fit inside of the inner flanges of the baseplates. The method used ended up making the winch plate stronger than when I got it given the direction of the forces applied and the quality of the welds (I had a shop known for custom work on truly abused rigs where it needs to be the strongest part of the vehicle.) Then, "dropped on" a Warn winch, which was a tight fit, but not because of the base plate or winch plate.

The steel guard under the steel bumper only needed a couple of holes cut in for the connection tubes and chain points to show though, and even then, only an inch or two. It looks like I won't be sacrificing any approach angle with this setup.

Thinking about my trip to Moab and any front end damage, I do not think I would have hit the tubes on all of the trails we ran, including the waterfalls and ledges that were less than gracefully dismounted.
Sponsored

Reactions: mog