Sponsored

Towing reviews

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-jeep-gladiator-is-even-better-than-the-wrangle-1833628712

"I only got to tow a 5,000 pound boat with that white Jeep Gladiator Sport S you see above for about 10 minutes, so I can’t offer any sort of comprehensive towing assessment.

Yanking heavy loads with the truck basically just involved hopping in, firing the truck up, dropping the shifter into drive, and stepping on the pedal. There was no specific tow/haul mode button available to alter shifts (Jeep says it integrated that into the trans calibration, in part, to keep the switches common with JL), and there was no trailer brake controller, though there will likely be one available in the future, I’m told.

Unfortunately, my towing was hampered by a trailer that was bucking and banging around behind the Gladiator’s rear bumper. It wasn’t a particularly comfortable experience, but I think the issue had to do with the trailer setup, and not the truck."

What is he explaining with bucking and banging? Shouldn't a boat on a boat trailer be set up well? There's not much you can do with that is there?
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I plan to post most towing reviews from the other articles i've got on the matrix, but that'll take some time.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe the tongue weight was off a bit. On my old boat trailer I could adjust the front depending on how far forward I wanted the boat on the trailer in order to get the tongue weight dialed in. If it was the air stream, then a rough ride would seem normal hauling a huge box on wheels.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
TFLtruck.com Ike Gauntlet and mpg loop are two of my favorite reviews. It’s going to be interesting to see if the JT struggles up hills with its low torque numbers on the NA six. I suspect it will have to rev high to get into the power band on even the slightest grades. However, I am confident the diesel will shine on both tests.

Last edited:

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-jeep-gladiator-is-even-better-than-the-wrangle-1833628712

"I only got to tow a 5,000 pound boat with that white Jeep Gladiator Sport S you see above for about 10 minutes, so I can’t offer any sort of comprehensive towing assessment.

Yanking heavy loads with the truck basically just involved hopping in, firing the truck up, dropping the shifter into drive, and stepping on the pedal. There was no specific tow/haul mode button available to alter shifts (Jeep says it integrated that into the trans calibration, in part, to keep the switches common with JL), and there was no trailer brake controller, though there will likely be one available in the future, I’m told.

Unfortunately, my towing was hampered by a trailer that was bucking and banging around behind the Gladiator’s rear bumper. It wasn’t a particularly comfortable experience, but I think the issue had to do with the trailer setup, and not the truck."

What is he explaining with bucking and banging? Shouldn't a boat on a boat trailer be set up well? There's not much you can do with that is there?

In the comments he admitted the ‘bucking and banging’ was likely the trailer’s surge brakes. Those suck....

Sponsored

Chukronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Interested in this as well. I can't find/remember where I read a review that indicated the JT really struggled going up a hill while towing. I hope that isn't the case.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the comments he admitted the ‘bucking and banging’ was likely the trailer’s surge brakes. Those suck....
OHHH, yeah surge brakes can be weird. Cool.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
The thing here also might be "heard banging" ... #addroofcarpet !!!
Sponsored