Towing Temps

Lazarus_JT

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
What Temps are you guys getting while towing? I took mine camping this weekend with a trailer with kayacks on it and the bed full of coolers I would say around 3500 pounds. We went to the mountains and as soon as I got to a area with alot of inclines the jeeps temps went way up. trans was running 205 the oil temp was 231 and coolent was running 209. It went back down on flat ground but those seem high to me.
Sponsored

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
What Temps are you guys getting while towing? I took mine camping this weekend with a trailer with kayacks on it and the bed full of coolers I would say around 3500 pounds. We went to the mountains and as soon as I got to a area with alot of inclines the jeeps temps went way up. trans was running 205 the oil temp was 231 and coolent was running 209. It went back down on flat ground but those seem high to me.
Towed my SxS this past weekend and only noticed max tranny temp hit 214. With avg of around 204. Didn’t notice any other temps.

6C55BEB3-C198-4904-BF9D-DA6ECB4C3022.jpeg

OP
OP
Lazarus_JT

Lazarus_JT

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
These temps seem very high compared to what im used to with an f150. What was the air temp where you were it was 75 where I was?

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Towed my SxS this past weekend and only noticed max tranny temp hit 214. With avg of around 204. Didn’t notice any other temps.

6C55BEB3-C198-4904-BF9D-DA6ECB4C3022.jpeg
Is that thing fun to drive around? I've never ridden in one.

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
These temps seem very high compared to what im used to with an f150. What was the air temp where you were it was 75 where I was?
It was 90 all weekend long. I tow pretty frequently with my Duramax and 30’ toyhauler (w full 150gal water tank) so in comparison I thought the gladiator did good... although I don’t have exact weight... it
It was 90 degrees all weekend for me. I usually tow heavy pretty frequently w/ my Duramax and although I'm comparing apples to oranges, the gladiator did good!

Sponsored

pbrevo64

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Project Manager
I did 1000+ miles towing 2500# with a full payload in the bed last month, and the temps stayed pretty normal. Right around 205 for the most part, oil and coolant temps would rise a little now and then but never saw anything above 215. This was in 95 degree heat and half in the hills of Kentucky.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase

I would estimate this is fairly normal. With the temp and the inclines. My v6 Silverado would run around that pulling the camper. I can't say for certain as far as the oil temp but the coolant and trans temp seem spot on.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I see temps like that just driving around town. My JK didn't even crack the thermostat until it hit 210 and the fan cut in at 226 (I think.) I did a little research a while back and learned that the combination you want is hot oil and cold water. Oil temps of at least 220 are ideal for removing the water that is created secondary to the combustion process. I was towing my little enclosed trailer back from FL loaded with oak furniture and the cruise was on 75 and I would get water temps up to 225 but it hits a wall there and never went above. The tranny will usually lag behind a few degrees in either direction. In my Jeep the water will start to cool as soon as you crest the hill and begin you coast but the tranny takes a while before it starts to cool down. It is also slower to heat up when working hard.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/engine-oil-temperature/

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Coolant of 209 is fine. Water boils at 212, you have a pressurized system which raises the boiling point and "anti-freeze" which also raises the boiling point even further.
You aren't even warm yet, IMO. I ran my Comanche at about 215 many times. My current vehicles all have 190 stats and those set the MINIMUM temp, not max, wich means I'm running AT LEAST 190, 200-210 normally NOT towing.

Transmission should be fine at 205 and engine oil doesn't really start to break down until it hits close to 260 or for some oils 275.

I've run temps similar while not towing with other vehicles, I don't see a problem with this........

Sponsored

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
On my JLUR XR, I see oil temps 230F+ going uphill or when driving slow in my subdivision. But quickly comes down to 195-200 once I start going downhill.

This was taken in its first week when it was under 200 mile odometer going uphill on a freeway and on to the exit ramp - during the break in it does heat up but after 1500 miles or so, temps stabilize lower. (And I was not towing of course)

All normal and within spec I was told.

Jeep Gladiator Towing Temps 1667104371978

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well according to some others it's not problem temps. I'm not fond of the higher oil temp myself but I see 220s in my JT more than I like especially towing (it's around 69k in mileage) transmission temp staying in more reasonable temp range for me..... but not best for earlier transmissions low 200° but dropping back down. I started watching it more closely after a trip last year when I started to smell "burning oil" from oil being vaporized and passing to intake.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
220s isn't a problem. Not at all. In fact you need to have things hotter than 212 in the sump to boil off or evaporate the normal water that exists.

Here's a quote -
An ideal oil sump temperature range is between 215*F and 250*F. If your sump temperature runs hotter than this range, you should add an oil cooler, or upgrade your oil cooler, if you already have one. This range is hot enough to quickly boil off the normal condensation that always forms during cold engine start-up, before that water dilutes the oil. And it is also hot enough to NOT promote the formation of sludge, like colder temperatures below the boiling point of water, can.

If the oil remains too cold, you get sludge and acids. Ideally it should be 212 or better, but not so hot that the even HOTTER oil in the bearings area reached the point of thermal breakdown.

It's a great reason to watch the oil used and use oil with a high thermal breakdown point.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
All Normal.
Last time I towed, I kept an eye on my Trans temp while climbing some hill and it hit 205.
Shortly after cresting the hill it dropped a little under 200, but was high 190's during normal driving.
A delta of 10 degrees isn't much at all.
Sponsored