Sponsored

Toyota rails installed in Gladiator?

Sixt7gt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S max tow, LJ, M725
Since Mopar apparently performs reverse alchemy to make the trail rails, has anyone installed rails from a Tacoma or Tundra?

Anchors are basically interchangeable, so I would expect the rails to be similar in profile and strength.
It seems one would just need to cut to proper length and drill appropriate mounting holes.

I've already made my own rails using low-profile unistrut, but I have to mod/fabricate anchors and tie-downs that are "automotive style." (From what I see of built-rite, theirs is also a unistrut profile.)
The tonneau I bought came with rail anchors that fit a rail opening of 9/16", whereas, the unistrut opening is wider than that. (the rail anchors would be compatible with Toyota or Mopar factory rails, otherwise the tonneau clamps the underside of the bed top rail for vehicles without trail rail)
My tonneau anchor points are unistrut P2785 beam clamps, flipped around so the threaded portions are in 3/8" anchors.

With the number of Toyotas out there, plus all the anchors and tiedowns readily available that fit them, seems like a more reasonable and fruitful path to go down. (buy Toyota rails new or take-offs)

https://parts.toyotaofnashua.com/oem-parts/toyota-deck-rail-system-6-5-bed-pt27834072
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DWVN9CK
Sponsored

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Interesting...
I was going to build my own with some low profile L track but this looks to be slightly cheaper and probably the same amount of cutting/drilling

Maybe I missed it on the page but is that 3 rails and some cleats?

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Since Mopar apparently performs reverse alchemy to make the trail rails, has anyone installed rails from a Tacoma or Tundra?

Anchors are basically interchangeable, so I would expect the rails to be similar in profile and strength.
It seems one would just need to cut to proper length and drill appropriate mounting holes.

I've already made my own rails using low-profile unistrut, but I have to mod/fabricate anchors and tie-downs that are "automotive style." (From what I see of built-rite, theirs is also a unistrut profile.)
The tonneau I bought came with rail anchors that fit a rail opening of 9/16", whereas, the unistrut opening is wider than that. (the rail anchors would be compatible with Toyota or Mopar factory rails, otherwise the tonneau clamps the underside of the bed top rail for vehicles without trail rail)
My tonneau anchor points are unistrut P2785 beam clamps, flipped around so the threaded portions are in 3/8" anchors.

With the number of Toyotas out there, plus all the anchors and tiedowns readily available that fit them, seems like a more reasonable and fruitful path to go down. (buy Toyota rails new or take-offs)

https://parts.toyotaofnashua.com/oem-parts/toyota-deck-rail-system-6-5-bed-pt27834072
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DWVN9CK
I've tried Tacoma accessories in the stock trail rails and they (mostly) fit. The spacing to the top of the bed is even the same as the '16-up Tacoma so accessories for those mostly fit - I used '16-up tacoma mounts to attach my Thule trac-rac. That said, I don't think it's worth saving a few bucks to shoehorn different rails in there, just get the trail rails.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Trail rails are around $250 I believe...

Saving around $100+, be it with toyota rails or some Ltrack, just by drilling a couple counter sunk holes is well worth it to me

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Trail rails are around $250 I believe...

Saving around $100+, be it with toyota rails or some Ltrack, just by drilling a couple counter sunk holes is well worth it to me
For something like that I'd rather pay the extra and have an engineered system with a known load rating. If you don't plan to strap too much down and off road it it's probably fine. I generally save fabbing stuff for things that don't exist or don't fit, but to each their own

OP
OP

Sixt7gt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S max tow, LJ, M725
P.S. my current setup for the tonneau, now with regular height Unistrut.
Interesting...
I was going to build my own with some low profile L track but this looks to be slightly cheaper and probably the same amount of cutting/drilling

Maybe I missed it on the page but is that 3 rails and some cleats?
I didn't go with the Toyota setup, bought right and left Mopar rails from BAM. (Though if Toyota rails would have been local on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, I would have had complete confidence in their strength for any use, even with drilling my own mounting holes)
Sponsored