TPMS Adventure

Sunset 2025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I realize there are threads for this issue, but I haven't found any resolution. Here are the chain of events:

I swapped my stock tires for 35's several months back and added a full-sized spare
When the shop did the work neither they nor I though to put a TPMS into the full-sized spare (don't let this happen to you :)
All was well when the 4 original sensors were in the new tires and rolling down the road

I did a 5 tire rotation and discovered the issue of no TPMS in the spare. The Drivers Front was now showing Red and no pressure (this was where the spare was now in the rotation)
Called the shop and they said just buy one on Amazon and they would install it
Some time passed. I wasn't in too big a hurry to solve this as I knew the issue. A few weeks in, a second (original) sensor (Passenger Front) started to show low pressure (it wasn't low) but this will come up again later (keep reading)
After a few weeks I bought the sensor for the spare, and had the shop install it. After they did the install, they said that they couldn't 'program' it and I should go to a tire shop as they have 'better' software.
Sure, made sense. After driving the new sensor for a bit without any other intervention, it started to work like a champ. But now the Driver Rear sensor wasn't showing any pressure. Hum...

So went to my local Goodyear today. As always, they were very helpful and the guy worked with the car and the sensors and his little reader doodad for 20 min trying to figure out the issue to no avail. He reset several error codes and said to try driving it a bit to see if that reset things (nothing).

So after the Goodyear adventure, I came home and checked Dr. Google and the Gladiator forum and found the home remedies for TPMS issues. I liked the one about lowering the pressure and taking it back up then driving around (Got to use my air compressor so that was a plus). That didn't work. However, I also noticed when I was lowering the pressure that only the spare tire and new sensor were associated to the correct spot on the dash sensor readout. Hum....
I'm also a computer guy, so the option to do a 'hard boot' seemed like a good idea and let the system re-start from scratch. Done, Negative off, Positive off. Wait, why does the damn car still start. See, I must have missed a meeting about the extra battery. It's a good thing there were no small children around or there might have been some explaining to do about some of the words they would have heard.

So, now with the car finally fully powered down, reconnected and off we go for another drive. Same issue - Driver Rear showing no pressure (of course after I discovered that the tires were not associating properly to location the false reading of no pressure is actually the PASSENGER FRONT TIRE just like before the new sensor was added). I don't know what it means, but I love a good ah-ha moment!

I am now surrendering and going to go to the dealership to see if they have any better suggestions, software, training or voodoo magic to fix it. I just hope their suggestion isn't to put the original tires back in place and not use the spare in the rotation.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Crazy, I have had three different sets of tires all with different sets of sensors, factory and aftermarket and each set picked up immediately, have never had a single light come on or issue with tpms.

OP
OP
Sunset 2025

Sunset 2025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Crazy, I have had three different sets of tires all with different sets of sensors, factory and aftermarket and each set picked up immediately, have never had a single light come on or issue with tpms.
It's a first for me too.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
I have a similar issue.
New wheels and tires. Used old tpms valves. Set low threshold with flashcal. All good it’s reading.
Drive 1200 miles, all still good.
Take to dealer for “Jeep wave” oil change. Told them not to rotate tires as they are brand new.
left dealership, 15 minutes later have tpms warning. All tires are at pressure, tried to reflash with flashcal to no avail.
Tires are also, reading at wrong location on tpms.
Curious to hear what you find out.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
I have a similar issue.
New wheels and tires. Used old tpms valves. Set low threshold with flashcal. All good it’s reading.
Take to dealer for “Jeep wave” oil change. Told them not to rotate tires as they are brand new.
left dealership, 15 minutes later have tpms warning. All tires are at pressure, tried to reflash with flashcal to no avail.
When you put your spar tire up with the TPMS in it, did you make sure the valve was centered behind the license plate? If it is on the side by a tire, the system won't know what to do with 2 readings.

Sponsored

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you put your spar tire up with the TPMS in it, did you make sure the valve was centered behind the license plate? If it is on the side by a tire, the system won't know what to do with 2 readings.
only 4 tires have the tpms sensors. Spare is empty.
reads the tire pressure in each tire, although in wrong spot logistically. Does not show error or doc when scanned. Just tpmslight flashes maybe 10 seconds then illuminates solid.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I have a similar issue.
Wonder if they flashed it and cleared out all your previous settings.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wonder if they flashed it and cleared out all your previous settings.
thats what I kinda thought as well but the fog light with highs and seat belt warning disable were still there as well as my Speedo/tire size correction
I tried to re flash with flash cal again, actually several times to no avail.

just seems to fishy to have happened after leaving dealer.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
thats what I kinda thought as well but the fog light with highs and seat belt warning disable were still there as well as my Speedo/tire size correction
I tried to re flash with flash cal again, actually several times to no avail.

just seems to fishy to have happened after leaving dealer.
You can rotate your tires yourself, the stock TPMS sensors will be picked up by the wheel sensors and adjust. They are extremely short range. The system can't read the tires in the wrong location.

There is no flash required. Now, if the dealer that sold your tires used aftermarket sensors, all bets are off.

I rotate my tires, go out for a drive around my neighborhood and within 2 miles, my pressures update. Then I adjust my tire pressure front and rear where I want it.

I have no idea why you are having issues if you have stock sensors.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can rotate your tires yourself, the stock TPMS sensors will be picked up by the wheel sensors and adjust. They are extremely short range. The system can't read the tires in the wrong location.

There is no flash required. Now, if the dealer that sold your tires used aftermarket sensors, all bets are off.

I rotate my tires, go out for a drive around my neighborhood and within 2 miles, my pressures update. Then I adjust my tire pressure front and rear where I want it.

I have no idea why you are having issues if you have stock sensors.
Thank you for clarifying. I got you and understand that process. Mine is not doing that. I used stock sensors from my rubicon wheels. Reads each tire at the correct lbs verified with gauge. But at the wrong locations on the Jeep to where they actually are. Also throws the light, blinking and then solid after driving about 10 minutes after re flash or code clear.

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
ive got a weird TPMS issue too. All of a sudden my !(_) light has came on and stayed on, but i still get all my pressures at all 4 corners and none are low. I only get the flashing icon when i start my truck, then it stays solid. Only thing that has changed was a new steering box and tire rotation. This did not happen right after, only out of the blue, and I cant get it to go away. So I have no clue what the deal is.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ive got a weird TPMS issue too. All of a sudden my !(_) light has came on and stayed on, but i still get all my pressures at all 4 corners and none are low. I only get the flashing icon when i start my truck, then it stays solid. Only thing that has changed was a new steering box and tire rotation. This did not happen right after, only out of the blue, and I cant get it to go away. So I have no clue what the deal is.
Ding.Ding.Ding!
You described mine to the T.
Seems to be a small world and we’re both having same issue…….stay tuned

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ding.Ding.Ding!
I think there are others as well. Not sure if all of this is related or not.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent some time talking to service adviser from Jeep dealership today (really cool guy that like to wheel Jeep’s and likes to mod).
He was going to read to see if mine were working but I told him they registered the pressure on dash cluster. He looked at dash and said these things are very finicky and that anything after 12.5x35 was really hit or miss wether they pick up and that most 40’s did not work. Said they basically time out because it takes too long to sync up.
Options:
*Buy new sensors to try - not recommended
*Leave it and ignore the dash light since it is reading pressure.
*Turn off the tpms with flashcal
Craziest thing ever, 50 miles later my light went off and has remained off the rest of the day!

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ding.Ding.Ding!
mine went off. i rotated wheels and tires and it went away oddly
Sponsored