TPMS Woes

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Just purchased new tires and wheels from Discount Tire. After about 400 miles, and 4 days, the new TPMS sensors still aren't reading. Took it back and DT confirmed that they can read the sensors and they are configured for a 21 Gladiator. Outside of taking to a dealer, is there anything that I can do?
Sponsored

Spooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Just purchased new tires and wheels from Discount Tire. After about 400 miles, and 4 days, the new TPMS sensors still aren't reading. Took it back and DT confirmed that they can read the sensors and they are configured for a 21 Gladiator. Outside of taking to a dealer, is there anything that I can do?
There are 2 different versions of TPMS sensors for the 2021 Gladiator. I believe the month break is in June 2021. If yours was built after the break, it will have different sensors than the 2020 and early 2021 build dates.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
There are 2 different versions of TPMS sensors for the 2021 Gladiator. I believe the month break is in June 2021. If yours was built after the break, it will have different sensors than the 2020 and early 2021 build dates.
Ugh. Just reading this. I bought a set of Mojave take-off wheels + tires from someone who took delivery of a '21 Mojave in August. My truck (2020 Sport S) is not sensing the TPMS on these wheels. I was hoping that it would just be a matter of re-setting something. I can understand changing something like this between vehicle series or after a lengthy span of years but this is frustrating, within this short a window of time, same series vehicle.

I'd bought some OEM TPMS sensors for my four steel wheels that I have dedicated snow tires on, but that was in Fall 2021 and it looks like pricing on TPMS sensors has gone up dramatically since then.

OP
OP
ScooterInTX

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
How would I know what month my build date is?

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ugh. Just reading this. I bought a set of Mojave take-off wheels + tires from someone who took delivery of a '21 Mojave in August. My truck (2020 Sport S) is not sensing the TPMS on these wheels. I was hoping that it would just be a matter of re-setting something. I can understand changing something like this between vehicle series or after a lengthy span of years but this is frustrating, within this short a window of time, same series vehicle.

I'd bought some OEM TPMS sensors for my four steel wheels that I have dedicated snow tires on, but that was in Fall 2021 and it looks like pricing on TPMS sensors has gone up dramatically since then.
The upside is that you can probably sell the OEM sensors for more than it will cost you for a set of aftermarket ones.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Ran into a similar debacle when selling my WIllys stock wheels. Fortunately the seller was awesome and we coordinated getting the old TPMS sensors out and shipped back to me after having his existing ones swapped in.

I have a full 5th spare so I skipped over trying to nail down the most appropriate (built after June 2021 as mentioned above) TPMS sensor due to their being 500+ unit backorder in the northeast and the aftermarket being completely unaware and opted to snag a locally used sport take-off wheel & tire for $75 to harvest the TPMS sensor for my spare.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
The change in TPMS sensors took place 6/7/21

Your build date is 8/8/21

The correct part number for your vehicle is 68339096AB
So there's no way for a 2020 JT to recognize the sensors that are installed in OE wheels from a JT built after June 2021?

Is it possible to leave the existing stems in the "newest" wheels and just detach the active TPMS actual _sensor_ portion from the stems, and put the "old" sensor portions onto the new wheels' stems? Or do you have to somehow pull out the whole stem assembly?

Thanks!

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If you bought the TPMS Sensors from Discount Tire, they are responsible for making them work. Take what you learned here to them so they can get the correct sensors for your truck.

OP
OP
ScooterInTX

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
If you bought the TPMS Sensors from Discount Tire, they are responsible for making them work. Take what you learned here to them so they can get the correct sensors for your truck.
These things are backordered until December but I was lucky enough to find a dealership close that had a set. Discount Tire was awesome about swapping them and letting me return the old ones.

Spooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
So there's no way for a 2020 JT to recognize the sensors that are installed in OE wheels from a JT built after June 2021?

Is it possible to leave the existing stems in the "newest" wheels and just detach the active TPMS actual _sensor_ portion from the stems, and put the "old" sensor portions onto the new wheels' stems? Or do you have to somehow pull out the whole stem assembly?

Thanks!
Yes, you can remove the sensor from the valve stem. They are attached to the valve stem with a torx screw. Valve stems are the same.

Spooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Does anyone have the p/n for the 2020s? I bought a set of 2021 wheels and they aren’t reading.
If you PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN, I will have our guys get you the correct part number.
Sponsored