TPS Just Stopped Reading

ICE4EVER

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 X5, 2011 ZR1
2020 OEM sensors transferred to new wheels back in July. No problems for 4 months and then all of a sudden yesterday no readings from any tire. Drove to work both days and still nothing. Any suggestions on cause and how to reset?
Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Sounds like they lost connectivity. Either battery life or OBD needs to relearn. If it hasnt picked it up after driving a couple times then you probably need to trigger the TPMS to re-transmit. Dealer or a tire place like Discount Tire has the hand held that will make it re-transmit. Who swapped out the TPMS sensors?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
All four going out at once makes me suspect of calling it a sensor or battery issue.

I would say look at the TPMS sensor module that is located on a L-Bracket near the left rear wheel on the inside of the frame towards the bottom side of the bed for good power and ground and inspection of the connector.

Attachments

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
All four going out at once makes me suspect of calling it a sensor or battery issue.

I would say look at the TPMS sensor module that is located on a L-Bracket near the left rear wheel on the inside of the frame towards the bottom side of the bed for good power and ground and inspection of the connector.
Yeah, it's not the sensors when 4 go out at one time. No way.

OP
OP
ICE4EVER

ICE4EVER

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you think using the Tazer to turn off and off would make a difference?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No.
It's free to try, but not like something that you reboot to fix.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Did you recently use your Tazer before the TPMS went out? I know the Tazer has given others problems with loosing certain functions and/or change settings unintended.

You may want to unmarry the Tazer and see if the TPMS come back.

OP
OP
ICE4EVER

ICE4EVER

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had not used the Tazer recently but I did turn off the sensor today with the Tazer. I will turn it back on later to see if it changes anything.

Saharacane

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Dog Dad
I have a similar issue and was thinking my J Scan tire adjustment might have been the cause, even though I did it almost a year prior to the issue.
My TPMS dash light came on months ago. I've had it to the Dealer 4x now. They have replaced the main TPMS module, the antenna that the sensors connect to and now the sensor in 1 tire that went dead. The problem has only gotten worse b/c now there is a dash message that says Service Tire Pressure System but they aren't sure what else to try.

HydroWilllys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I have same issue with 1 sensor. Dealer reset it once and it lost the signal the next day. Dealer tried to tell me my metal valve stem caps can interfere with signal. I was like “why just 1 tire?” Went back to plastic as a test - no change. I’m thinking it’s a battery and am waiting until my next scheduled Service to have them warranty out a sensor. Seeing the service TPMS every start up is annoying.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar issue and was thinking my J Scan tire adjustment might have been the cause, even though I did it almost a year prior to the issue.
My TPMS dash light came on months ago. I've had it to the Dealer 4x now. They have replaced the main TPMS module, the antenna that the sensors connect to and now the sensor in 1 tire that went dead. The problem has only gotten worse b/c now there is a dash message that says Service Tire Pressure System but they aren't sure what else to try.
Adjusting the pressure threshold does nothing to sensing. Changing that only modifies the trigger for low pressure, etc.

Dealer tried to tell me my metal valve stem caps can interfere with signal
Tell them no, that enhances the signal quality. LOL
Seriously, if it was an issue then hundreds of car and truck owners around the country would have issues with their fun, fancy, showy, whatever, aluminum valve stem caps. The sensor is inside the tire - so unless it's using the stem as an antenna and transmitting through the brass core of the stem, it can't be that. But then - that is actually one antenna design!
Using a thin wire wrapped within the valve stem exiting the rim.
Others use a loop on the edge of the PC board of the sensor itself, entirely within the rim.
I've not dug into this - but it would be interesting to know if Jeep does or has ever employed the valve stem type antenna, or if it's strictly on the PC board.
It's low frequency radio in any case so watch for alien ships interfering with those signals.

Do be aware that aluminum valve stem caps have been known to seize to the brass threads of some stems and systems. Galvanic corrosion has caught up with more than one person using aluminum metal valve caps on brass threads of tire valve stems.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

HydroWilllys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Serviced at the dealer today..gave them another shot. FAIL! They rotated another tire to the LF corner and problem with light stayed. Sensor tested fine. Jeep says they are working normal and it’s my wheels combined with the new placement of the module under rear seat that picks up the TPMS signal. It’s the farthest wheel sensor from the module. They have no fix. You can reset the system via scan tool, but 5 miles down the road it comes right back on. No fix. While I don’t blame the dealer, I will be reaching out to Jeep. Dealer said several vehicles have same issue and it’s always the LF sensor and aftermarket wheels. What a stupid issue. I monitor my pressure regularly on my own, but now I have to look at that annoying light and error message every day? Unacceptable. Hopefully Jeep eventually brings out an update or bulletin soon with a fix. Had the Jeep there today for my leaking Axle.. at least they fixed that issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Since it's federal law there be TPMS in a vehicle, if the owner requests a fix, they must fix it.
If the sensor's antenna is internal, on the PC board inside the wheel, it's conceivable that a wheel could block the signal or at least confuse things.
I don't know where the antenna is on the MOPAR sensors. Some have done it via the valve stem, the brass in the stem, others have it on the board inside the wheel.
If the wheels are blocking or distorting the signal - it's not a Jeep issue.
Sponsored