TPS Just Stopped Reading

HydroWilllys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
It’s going to become a Jeep issue soon.. or at a minimum something they have to overcome. Can’t be significant difference from wheel to wheel; that’s silly. It will become a Customer Satisfaction Issue. Sure, they can say the vehicle is “modified “ etc... but is it worth it? They even noted that the dealer stalled tint on my windows is affecting the signal. True or not, that is lame. We can land a spacecraft on a moving asteroid 4 billion miles from Earth, take a sample and get it back safely with math and electronics. We sure as hell can make a TPMS sensor work 6ft from the module. They noted when module was mounted by fuel tank in previous models, they didn’t see issues. Now that it’s inside the cab we have issues? That’s engineering and on Jeep. It’s not the end of the world of course, but come on man. I’m not the only Jeep on the road without OEM wheels. I regularly roll with no top and no doors and the sensor still doesn’t work even with less body panels to block signal. I’ll be patient..or I’ll go to the after market to disable the sensor system if needed. Someone will fin a fix.
Sponsored

HydroWilllys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
On the other hand, could the 35” Toyo tire I’m running with thicker sidewalls and greater density block the signal? Maybe... you know, no Jeep owner runs 35”s on different wheels. 😂 Jeep can’t possibly think we’d do that! Ran the same setup on my JK for 6 years, no issues..what’s changed? Strange for sure.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It’s going to become a Jeep issue soon.. or at a minimum something they have to overcome. Can’t be significant difference from wheel to wheel; that’s silly. It will become a Customer Satisfaction Issue. Sure, they can say the vehicle is “modified “ etc... but is it worth it? They even noted that the dealer stalled tint on my windows is affecting the signal. True or not, that is lame. We can land a spacecraft on a moving asteroid 4 billion miles from Earth, take a sample and get it back safely with math and electronics. We sure as hell can make a TPMS sensor work 6ft from the module. They noted when module was mounted by fuel tank in previous models, they didn’t see issues. Now that it’s inside the cab we have issues? That’s engineering and on Jeep. It’s not the end of the world of course, but come on man. I’m not the only Jeep on the road without OEM wheels. I regularly roll with no top and no doors and the sensor still doesn’t work even with less body panels to block signal. I’ll be patient..or I’ll go to the after market to disable the sensor system if needed. Someone will fin a fix.
Yes, there CAN be a difference.

This is from the internet, a wheel vendor -
For the most part, all wheels are TPMS compatible however it’s not to mention that some wheels are not. Make sure the wheels you’re looking to purchase are TPMS compatible.

Since it's illegal for a business to render the TPMS inoperative, if the wheels were a problem, then the shop that did the install MUST by law fix it.

How can you blame Jeep if it's a wheel issue, or an issue with the shop that installed the wheels and tires?
I'm not saying that it absolutely is the wheels or the install - but pointing out - yeah, it MAY be.
If it's not and can be proven it's not those specific wheels or that specific combination or the shop didn't mess up, then it goes back to Jeep.
But frankly, Jeep can say - go back to stock wheels and tires and see if it works.

And by the way - people have died trying to get to space, or come back from space......... even that's not perfect. SpaceX has even lost equipment.
Does your PHONE never have any issues? Have you NEVER had a computer lock up, slow internet, etc?
These are freakin' consumer products, not multi-billion dollar space vehicles.

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
I had not used the Tazer recently but I did turn off the sensor today with the Tazer. I will turn it back on later to see if it changes anything.
My tpms stop reading randomly. I turn them off with the tazer. Wait about 2 weeks a month or so... then i get curious if they will work again adn they do. Beats me why. I just shrug it off and move on until the next time.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
More from a wheel and tire vendor -

1. In more unique cases, if there is a suspected signal interference and none of the above circumstances are applicable to the issue, consider less obvious obstructions like dark- or mirror-tinted windows or metal plating on the vehicle. These types of accessories can block or cause fragmented signals that prevent the ECU from receiving them.
When it comes to TPMS and signal interference, remember that the TPMS ECU is designed to find sensors on 314.9, 315 or 433MHz. If there is an issue, the sensors are not always to blame. The vehicle receiver and/or ECU should also be verified. In addition, always be sure to check that the signal is not blocked by some other factor.

I assume that some of the sound deadening out there could in theory block signals. Note that the wheel and tire vendor above agreed that window tint could be a problem.

Sure, Jeep people tend to play around and throw stuff on their vehicles with no plan and no thought of what they are even doing or the impact it may have. They just buy stuff and toss it on -
It's often a combination of factors - this and that alone may not be a problem, but this and that along with the other thing and you have troubles.
It's just crazy some of the stuff done - and then the complaints when the thing wobbles or something breaks.

Sponsored

HydroWilllys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
It will work itself out. For the record, everything is Jeep dealer installed, the lift etc.. all “approved “ and warrantied by MOPAR themselves or my tire/wheel protection package I purchased. As you know, most Jeep dealers are doing these modifications etc. Clearly they can’t stand by the wheels or tires as they are unique to each customer.. but they likely will have an interest in a solution. I agree that if done by an outside vendor, it’s less likely to be covered or repaired by factory etc. I’m really not worried, I’ve got enough connections within Jeep to eventually get a fix. Interesting info you found on the wheels and signals etc. My thoughts are if you sell it and install it, you stand by it. In this case, while it may take time..it will get solved somehow. Clearly they are learning about this too. In the end I’m sure it will be a simple fix. I’ll pay if need be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ICE4EVER

ICE4EVER

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 X5, 2011 ZR1
I turned the TPMS off with the Tazer. It has been off for over a week, just been too busy/lazy to turn it back on. Well I did today and still getting the service TPMS warning message. I guess a trip to the stealership is in order.

OP
OP
ICE4EVER

ICE4EVER

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 X5, 2011 ZR1
Everything starting working 24hrs after I re-enabled with the tazer. So weird.
Sponsored