Sponsored

Trac Lok + 4WD

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
I'm weighing the pros and cons of the Rubicon vs the cheaper trims. The one thing I've always liked about the Rubicons is the integrated lockers

I have a question about Trac Lok. The Jeep Build and Price tool describes it as:
The Trac-Lok® anti-spin rear differential is a torque-sensitive mechanical unit that works to maintain traction in slippery or rough conditions. Trac-Lok automatically distributes the available rear torque to the rear wheel that provides the most traction, thus helping to reduce wheel spin caused by lack of traction in the other rear wheel.

How well would this work with 4WD? Would it work effectively as a "poor man's" (rear) locker? How about paired with a front lunchbox locker?
Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I'm weighing the pros and cons of the Rubicon vs the cheaper trims. The one thing I've always liked about the Rubicons is the integrated lockers

I have a question about Trac Lok. The Jeep Build and Price tool describes it as:
The Trac-Lok® anti-spin rear differential is a torque-sensitive mechanical unit that works to maintain traction in slippery or rough conditions. Trac-Lok automatically distributes the available rear torque to the rear wheel that provides the most traction, thus helping to reduce wheel spin caused by lack of traction in the other rear wheel.

How well would this work with 4WD? Would it work effectively as a "poor man's" (rear) locker? How about paired with a front lunchbox locker?
Check the TFL video where they compare a JL sport to a JL rubicon. The trac-lok is just a fancy name for limited slip diff.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Check the TFL video where they compare a JL sport to a JL rubicon. The trac-lok is just a fancy name for limited slip diff.
this video?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The trac-lock differentials are okay, but they use friction clutches which quickly wear out. (They don’t call them ‘trash-locks’ for nothing)
If you don’t need a true locker, I would recommend TruTrack mechanical limited slip diffs. I have them in my Scrambler & they are Great. Very good road-manners too.

Just my $0.02

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
The trac-lock differentials are okay, but they use friction clutches which quickly wear out. (They don’t call them ‘trash-locks’ for nothing)
If you don’t need a true locker, I would recommend TruTrack mechanical limited slip diffs. I have them in my Scrambler & they are Great. Very good road-manners too.

Just my $0.02
Exactly. The helical diffs are pretty damn good

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. The helical diffs are pretty damn good
You make a good point - I have only owned the TruTrack version, but there are probably other brands that use similar helical gear design.
Again, VERY happy with the ones I have, currently leaning Heavily towards SportS w/ F/R TT's.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Like anything else, it depends on your intended use....

I currently have a sport S with the anti spin rear. I only get to go off-road three or four times a year (2 Jamborees and a time or two to an ORV park an hour away) so for me the track-lok rear works well enough. However there have been a few times where having the front and rear lockers of a rubicon would have made a climb a hell of a lot smoother and easier and I had to get “an assist” on a couple of spots at Jamborees where the rubicons crawled right up and the sports and Sahara’s in the group had to get a little tug to get over the hump. Driving or off-roading ability comes into play as well. At one Jamboree I was able to pick a good line and with steady pedal and a bit of back and forth of the wheel, I clawed my way right up and a rubicon in the group gunned it and dug his way in and needed a tug to get loose. If you plan to go exploring by yourself, then the security of having the lockers (and a good winch) would almost be a must.

In the end, only you can answer the question of whether the cost is worth it for you. Both previous jeeps and my next one as well have been a deliberation of the same question. The rubicon upcharge gives you better axels, better gears, lockers, standard features that are options on the sport (radio, rock rails, ... etc) and some you cant get on the sport (proximity key, leather) so if I put aside the lockers that I don’t NEED ... the price of a sport with the same radio as base rubi plus rock rails and so on .... its only a bit more for a rubi that also gets lockers and 4.10 gears and 33’s. Kinda leaning toward basic rubi this time myself. Yet if you don’t think you’ll really do any serious off-roading, you may be able to put that extra money towards more creature comforts on a sport or overland.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Food for thought:
Looking at the build tool, the Sport S is $36,745. If you add the Max Tow for $1,000 you'd be at $37,745. Exact same axles & gears as the Rubicon, but no lockers.
Add 2 TruTracs @ $500 ea (assuming regular current D44 will fit) = $1,000 + installation would likely be $2K total.
So all-in you would be $39,745

Base Rubicon is $ 43,545. You get lockers, swaybar disconnect,4:1 tcase, Rubi hood/fenders/annoying red stitching and all the other Rubi-specific stuff (plus options for goodies not available on Sport or S/S)

$3,800 difference.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about paired with a front lunchbox locker?
Almost missed this part, had a lock-right in the front of a rig one time. Would not recommend a lunchbox-type locker for the front, since you can't unlock the hubs on stock Jeeps now. Mine would be clicking/wratcheting every time you turned a corner when driving on the street.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase

Just my $0.02
I'm not finding them for the Gladiator, I've been looking. Have you seen them for the Gladiator?
Sponsored