Track-Lok and Selec-Trac

Komesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1999
Hello everybody,
really wanted your opinion on the following:
I'm going to order JT Overland. My off-roading will be very light, and I just love the look of the truck and need a pickup.
I'm going to order Selec-Trac transfer case. Makes sense to me, since truck will mostly be used on road.
Now the question is: how useful would be Trac-Lok along with Selec-Trac? Keeping in mind that ESC is also present on all JT trims.
Is it really worth spending money on?
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Hello everybody,
really wanted your opinion on the following:
I'm going to order JT Overland. My off-roading will be very light, and I just love the look of the truck and need a pickup.
I'm going to order Selec-Trac transfer case. Makes sense to me, since truck will mostly be used on road.
Now the question is: how useful would be Trac-Lok along with Selec-Trac? Keeping in mind that ESC is also present on all JT trims.
Is it really worth spending money on?
if you need a pickup I’d strongly suggest you get a sport with max tow which includes the trac lock

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Thanks, but I need Overland with Selec-Trac.
well to me needing a pickup means you want to carry heavy things in the bed or tow both of which my suggestion will do much better with especially if you’re upsizing the tires. You can still get select trac this way

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The only reason I wish I had a Sport with max tow vs my Overland is the 4.10 gears would give my Gladiator roughly the same gearing back that I had stock before I upgraded from the 32.2" all seasons to my 33.6" All Terrains. It does fine with the 8 speed and 3.73s, but I don't have 8th gear on the hwy except on flat ground and there's slightly more hesitation off the line when I step on it. I can't tell a difference in normal driving. My mpg hasn't changed. In every other way I'm glad that I bought an Overland. Especially, after my $150 new Rubicon take off suspension score.

Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
if you need a pickup I’d strongly suggest you get a sport with max tow which includes the trac lock
Another response in a thread that reads 'You should do exactly what I did". If this is your contribution in an online forum, well.......

To the OP, I suggest a LE because that's what I got. White too! Hope that helps you! ;)

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Thanks, but I need Overland with Selec-Trac.
For just trucking, you're fine with any of them. I opted for the Max Tow on the Sport S so I could get Trak-lok, wide axles & 4:10 ratio... but they're by no means essential for everyone. I have been driving a Wrangler Unlimited for the last 6 years and love the limited slip in the snow and when pulling things. If I were opting for the quality of life stuff from the Overland I'd get Selec-Trak AND Trak-Lok for the most effective setup. (If you're never in snow or wet conditions, you might not even need Trak-Lok, but it's cheap enough I'd still get it.)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Komesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1999
If I were opting for the quality of life stuff from the Overland I'd get Selec-Trak AND Trak-Lok for the most effective setup. (If you're never in snow or wet conditions, you might not even need Trak-Lok, but it's cheap enough I'd still get it.)
That is actually my question: how effective such set up?
If Selec-Trak transfers torque to front axel upon slippage of any rear wheels, why bother with Trak-Lok? Also in case of short slippage (not like stuck in mud ) ESC should help as well.

What cases would make Selec-Trak and Trak-Lok together effective?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Another response in a thread that reads 'You should do exactly what I did". If this is your contribution in an online forum, well.......

To the OP, I suggest a LE because that's what I got. White too! Hope that helps you! ;)
i ordered a diesel. I’m recommending he retain the most value in ownership not lose the most like you chose to

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
You don't want one-wheel-peel. Always get the LSD if you can.
Exactly.....

Selec-trac will decide how to torque fore and aft.....

for the rear diff:
True-Trac is a mechanical (helical) LSD that you would have to have installed locally aftermarket.
Track-Loc is friction plate LSD. Can wear out. But available from factory

Do you know anyone with a Grand Cherokee, that has Quadra-Drive (has Electronic Shifter for xfer case)? take that for a ride you will get the idea......

OP
OP

Komesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1999
Exactly.....

Selec-trac will decide how to torque fore and aft.....

for the rear diff:
True-Trac is a mechanical (helical) LSD that you would have to have installed locally aftermarket.
Track-Loc is friction plate LSD. Can wear out. But available from factory

Do you know anyone with a Grand Cherokee, that has Quadra-Drive (has Electronic Shifter for xfer case)? take that for a ride you will get the idea......
So LSD in my configuration will help only, if I have only one wheel (out of all 4) with grip.
Is this the case?
Sponsored