Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Which would be better to purchase first, traction boards or kinetic rope?
Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Rope wonā€™t do much good unless thereā€™s someone else on the other end of it. Will you always be out with someone else?

Also, letā€™s say you are out with someone but you both encounter an obstacle which neither of you can overcome. Of the boards or the rope, which is most likely to get you past that obstacle? (Iā€™m thinking boards.)

Lastly, both pieces of gear can be shared. So if youā€™re traveling with another vehicle, what are their gear gaps that you may be able to fill for the team?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Rope. Never expect someone else to have the gear to recover you.

I would get a winch before getting boards. You can make do without boards, use rocks or bits of wood, it is not as effective but better than nothing.

A recovery rope/strap would probably be cheaper, Tractor Supply had a 30ft rope with a 7500/22,500 load rating for $50. 7.500 work load is plenty for pulling the JT, and 22,500lb break strength is plenty for getting it unstuck
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/smartstraps-recovery-strap-with-loop-ends-30-ft-30-000-lb

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Which would be better to purchase first, traction boards or kinetic rope?
Yes
Now after me being a smart ass traction means action so a set of traction boards could be a best friend when alone, strap ECT don't do jack sh## without some other vehicle attached to the other end pulling. If you travel alone traction boards would be good start with a shovel.
A winch and static strap (tree saver)can be critical for self recovery or others... Just don't use as kinetic rope, I've seen someone doing that šŸ˜£ Now traction boards are the new hotness of Kool guy stuff "to be a Overlander" but a couple of 2"Ɨ8"Ɨ8' cut in half might be a better option to plus you can set your jack on them. Add some grip tape or bed liner on them... I can think of more than a few uses for them besides recovery. Like a seat or table with a few storage boxes. I bought 4 traction boards for a full set they take up about 2 sqft. or so of space. Have I used them not yet. But they do look KoolšŸ¤—
Not asked but I figured I'd throw it out there; Now on the toothy shovel for what it costs you can buy 2 shovels, a axe and garden rake. I'm kinda jaded I've got a Max-Ax "post deployment buy cheaper than another :jk: my normal post deployment buy good thing them days are over" expensive for what it is but a good axe but sh#### shovel, rake and hoe. My old recovery shovel is about 25 years old made of steel so you can chip ice with it or use to drive over it I got it in Germany in 90s.

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Rope. Never expect someone else to have the gear to recover you.

I would get a winch before getting boards. You can make do without boards, use rocks or bits of wood, it is not as effective but better than nothing.

A recovery rope/strap would probably be cheaper, Tractor Supply had a 30ft rope with a 7500/22,500 load rating for $50. 7.500 work load is plenty for pulling the JT, and 22,500lb break strength is plenty for getting it unstuck
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/smartstraps-recovery-strap-with-loop-ends-30-ft-30-000-lb
I have this, or maybe the size up

It's saved me once and i've used it to save a couple other people

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I ended up buying the Rhino 30k recovery strap and two soft shackles. Although a lot of people say Hi Lift jacks are dangerous (if used improperly) I self extracted using a tree and the gear I bought. My next purchase will be boards.

OP
OP
Gvsukids

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Boards, then save for a winch. I would skip the kinetic rope altogether unless you want it for sand or snow.

This is kinda tough to answer because we have no idea what kind of wheeling you do though.
Woods and trails. Some sand.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gvsukids

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Boards and winch for sure then, just don't bury yourself up to the frame in sand with no anchor points before you get out the boards. You won't need another vehicle around for your recovery with that combo.
Same true for mud?

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Same true for mud?
Yep. The situation where kinetic ropes outperform a winch is when neither vehicle have much traction and you have to use momentum to avoid pulling the anchor point toward the stuck vehicle. The downside is that it doesn't do much other than take up space in your bag when you wheel alone or don't have room for the second vehicle to get a good running start.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Iā€™ve never used boards. A nice folding shovel will allow you to dig and place rocks, branches or even trash under your wheels to get out

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps
Boards... Can't do self recovery with a rope. I always plan trips as if no one else will be there which is why I went with a winch first. But in my opinion, boards first for sure.

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
While weā€™re on the topic of advising on boards, what brands? Lots of Amazon options sub-$100. Are ARB or Maxtrax worth it at nearly 3x the cost?
Sponsored