First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
So im torn on this. I checked out my balance owing on my 12 month old JT sport auto 3.6. I asked my good friend at my local dealer and he came back with 50k fir JT. I bought my JT for 44 lol. Granted I have about $5000 in mods on my JT. So i threw in a proposal of keeping my lights, bumper and winch on a 21’ EcoDiesel Sport with nearly identical options as mine currently. Just minus the lift and 35’s which I actually dont want to do anymore. My goal is mpg and going further on our overland trips while towing the off road trailer. So how are you guys liking the diesel? Worth the cost up front? I did some calculations and the improved mpg and cheaper cost of diesel is a wash with the higher biweekly payment.
Sponsored

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
Love our Diesel. Zero regrets.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
The diesel seems great in many ways, great mileage, more power, big downside for me would be if you have a problem, I would have zero faith in it being able to be readily diagnosed and fixed. Read some of the threads where people have had problems with them pretty discouraging.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I only have a little over 800 miles on mine so I don't have much experience. But here's my opinions of it.

The gas mileage is good if you keep your foot out of it and go 65mph or below on the interstate. At 60-65mph I can average around 26-29mpg, depending on how hilly it is. Now, at 80mph it drops to 17-18mpg. As for range, I'm getting around 300 miles out of a tank before the light comes on. It usually takes about 15-16 gallons to fill up. However, I do accelerate rather quickly from a stop and usually cruise at 80-85mph on the interstate. Also the diesel comes with an 18 gallon tank over the gas having a 22 gallon tank. So that would also factor into the range.

I honestly wouldn't buy a diesel for cost savings. You have to factor in more expensive oil changes and routine maintenance, the cost of diesel vs 87 octane gas, and DEF. Diesel around where I live is more expensive than 87 octane... As for DEF, I have about 65% left and it came with 75% from the factory. So I don't really know how many miles you'd get with a full tank of DEF. Then the oil changes are probably twice as much as the 3.6L.

As for the good, it has a lot of power. It pulls great with half throttle and is a blast to drive. It'll hold 8th gear on the interstate without any issue on inclines and no matter how fast you're going. It doesn't even compete in the same ballpark with 3.6L in terms of power...

POWER is the reason you should buy the diesel. I feel as though the 3.0L diesel is the PERFECT engine for the gladiator. I'm just hoping that it's somewhat reliable up to 100k miles... but I'm not too optimistic after reading all the complaints.

Anyway, would I buy the diesel again? HELL YES. The 3.6L pentastar wasn't even on my radar. It's a dog of an engine and you have to rev it too high to get power out of it. I did have an overall bad experience with the 3.6L in my 2014 JK, so that probably factors into why I dislike it so much. Honestly though, I wouldn't even have considered the gladiator if the diesel wasn't an option.

Last edited:

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I wouldn't trade my diesel in. Yeah I've had a problem. Injector pump catastrophically failed at 4581 miles. Took 45 days to get it fixed. No fault of Jeep. I've heard the CP4 pump is used in almost all diesels. Ford, GMC, Dodge, Chevy. It has the same problems in all of them. I've driven both. The 3.6 I couldn't get more than 22 mpg the diesel I usually get right around 26-27 at 74 miles an hour. Seems to be the sweet spot for me. Got 29 mpg on a longer trip to Oregon. Love.my diesel. Never even have to smash to gas pedal to the floor. Torque rules. Just roll on the throttle gently.

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I dont disagree. I drive hills everyday, i live at 2500ft, i mountain bike up to 6000ft and drive down to sea level for groceries. Diesel torque is another big reason for the swap

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
I dont disagree. I drive hills everyday, i live at 2500ft, i mountain bike up to 6000ft and drive down to sea level for groceries. Diesel torque is another big reason for the swap
I live at 4100 ft the gasser I drove kicked down to 6th gear just going up over passes on cruise. My diesel barely kicks down to 7th gear driving up to 7100 ft at my usual 74 mph. I wonder if the toque off-road is easier to manage as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I live at 4100 ft the gasser I drove kicked down to 6th gear just going up over passes on cruise. My diesel barely kicks down to 7th gear driving up to 7100 ft at my usual 74 mph. I wonder if the toque off-road is easier to manage as well.
Your lucky, i find my myself in 5th a ton. 8th is strictly flat or downhill. I cant complain much, I’m on 35’s and stock 3.73’s BUT do i do spend $3k+ on a regear that will make the power slightly more manageable and maybe gain 1-2mpg at best or just dip for the diesel? Im thinking diesel. My buddy Just found a slightly optioned Rubicon in black. Hmm!?!? Put my rubi bumper/warn winch on and call it a day.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Your lucky, i find my myself in 5th a ton. 8th is strictly flat or downhill. I cant complain much, I’m on 35’s and stock 3.73’s BUT do i do spend $3k+ on a regear that will make the power slightly more manageable and maybe gain 1-2mpg at best or just dip for the diesel? Im thinking diesel. My buddy Just found a slightly optioned Rubicon in black. Hmm!?!? Put my rubi bumper/warn winch on and call it a day.
The other issue with the Rubi diesels is they bottom out a lot I heard. Mine has hot a few times but not as bad as the Rubi. None max tow. But 3:73 gears.

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
So the heating issue, are guys spec’d with heavy duty cooling or no? Seems like no one is talking about that. The model im looking at has tow with heavy duty cooling.

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Appreciate the responses good or bad. Thanks

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
After owning the 3.6 in 3 wranglers, the 2.0 on one and now the oil burner, I would say not to buy the Diesel to save money. That’s not going to happen. Buy it because it’s not a turd, and the V6 is a turd. A great, dependable turd. Too bad the 4 popper wasn’t offered. That little motor was a beast. It’s the closest to the diesel in power. Not as powerful but plenty of it.

The oil burner you buy because it’s a monster. It effortlessly moves the Jeep. Even on 37s it just doesn’t care. It’s a joy to drive. Hopefully it serves us well but in the meantime, I will enjoy every-time I leave a stoplight, or go to pass on the highway.
Sponsored