First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
With a new vehicle platform one would assume also comes a new Trail/Travel/Overland Toolkit.I would love to see what others are using to help put together my toolkit from everything from day to day, weekend, to expedition travel. I prefer to keep tools to a minimum as it alleviates weight, and having a kit that will cover most if not all capable trailside repairs, maintenance, and basic installs/ repair of after market equipment. I am personally leaning toward Tekton; Milwaukee for my tools and Blue Ridge Overland Gear for my tool storage. From tightening a battery clamp to removing a driveshaft.

Categories: (Feel free to add to this list with anything I overlooked) I understand this is Jeep specific. I am gearing towards this as I feel others on these types of trips should be prepared also. As well as adding tools for aftermarket mods:

Wheels Tires:
- Lug Nuts:
- Tire Repair:
- Fill and Deflate:
- Spare Parts:
- Misc:
- Jack:

Suspension:
- Shocks:
- Sway Bars:
- Tie Rod:
- Spare Parts:
- Misc:

Brakes:
- Calipers:
- Pads:
- Booster:
- Brake Lines:
- Sensors:
- Spare Parts:
- Misc:

Battery/Electrical:
- Battery:
- Buss Terminal:
- Fuse Panel Buss;
- Fuse Panel:
- Aux Battery:
- Alternator:
- Battery Bypass:
- Jumping:
- Troubleshooting:
- Interior:
- Fuses:
- Lighting:
- Misc:

Engine:
- Hood
- Engine Cover:
- Air Box:
- Oil Change:
- Radiator:
- Hoses:
- Water Pump:
- Serpentine Belt:
- Plugs:
- Sensors:
- Spare Parts:
- Misc:

Differentials/Drive Shafts/Transmission:
- Drain Plug:
- Cover:
- Drive Shafts:
- Transmission:
- Oil:
- Sensors:
- Misc:

Interior:
- Interior Parts:
- Seat Belts:
- Seats:
- Dash:
- Sensors:
- Window Mechanism:
- Doors:

Power Tools:
- Impact:
- Wrenches:
- Chainsaw:

Aftermarket:
- Bumper:
- Winch:
- Rock Rails:
- Skid Plates:
- Misc:

Misc:
- Protective Equipment:
- Parts:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
With a new vehicle platform one would assume also comes a new Trail/Travel/Overland Toolkit.I would love to see what others are using to help put together my toolkit from everything from day to day, weekend, to expedition travel. I prefer to keep tools to a minimum as it alleviates weight, and having a kit that will cover most if not all capable trailside repairs, maintenance, and basic installs/ repair of after market equipment. I am personally leaning toward Tekton; Milwaukee for my tools and Blue Ridge Overland Gear for my tool storage. From tightening a battery clamp to removing a driveshaft.

Categories: (Feel free to add to this list with anything I overlooked) I understand this is Jeep specific. I am gearing towards this as I feel others on these types of trips should be prepared also. As well as adding tools for aftermarket mods:

Wheels Tires:
- Lug Nuts:
- Tire Repair:
- Fill and Deflate:
- Spare Parts:
- Misc:
- Jack:

Suspension:
- Shocks:
- Sway Bars:
- Tie Rod:
- Spare Parts:
- Misc:

Brakes:
- Calipers:
- Pads:
- Booster:
- Brake Lines:
- Sensors:
- Spare Parts:
- Misc:

Battery/Electrical:
- Battery:
- Buss Terminal:
- Fuse Panel Buss;
- Fuse Panel:
- Aux Battery:
- Alternator:
- Battery Bypass:
- Jumping:
- Troubleshooting:
- Interior:
- Fuses:
- Lighting:
- Misc:

Engine:
- Hood
- Engine Cover:
- Air Box:
- Oil Change:
- Radiator:
- Hoses:
- Water Pump:
- Serpentine Belt:
- Plugs:
- Sensors:
- Spare Parts:
- Misc:

Differentials/Drive Shafts/Transmission:
- Drain Plug:
- Cover:
- Drive Shafts:
- Transmission:
- Oil:
- Sensors:
- Misc:

Interior:
- Interior Parts:
- Seat Belts:
- Seats:
- Dash:
- Sensors:
- Window Mechanism:
- Doors:

Power Tools:
- Impact:
- Wrenches:
- Chainsaw:

Aftermarket:
- Bumper:
- Winch:
- Rock Rails:
- Skid Plates:
- Misc:

Misc:
- Protective Equipment:
- Parts:
If you are going to carry enough tools to repair everything that can break you might as well tow your own repair shop. I only carry enough tools to do some minor repairs or to tighten up what has rattled loose. As the vehicle gets older you learn what becomes a normal failure item or expected item due to mileage or type of off roading you do and carry that spare part and tools. You will find that you can carry tools like vice grips and adjustable wrenches to cover a lot of designated type tools. If you have the space to spare the best selection you should carry is a selection of bolts and nuts

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
If you are going to carry enough tools to repair everything that can break you might as well tow your own repair shop. I only carry enough tools to do some minor repairs or to tighten up what has rattled loose. As the vehicle gets older you learn what becomes a normal failure item or expected item due to mileage or type of off roading you do and carry that spare part and tools. You will find that you can carry tools like vice grips and adjustable wrenches to cover a lot of designated type tools. If you have the space to spare the best selection you should carry is a selection of bolts and nuts

I am totally in agreement with you. Hence I am narrowing my focus on these fixes. Many tools will be able to do a multitude of repairs. Also their is quite a difference between a day trip a couple hours from home in your home state. Than a mulit-month trip through other countries. Hence me focusing on tools that will at least allow me to get to a large city. Or give me enough time to be able to continue the trip whole to be able to have a replacement shipped. I wanted a sounding board and appreciate your feedback. I definitely am considering size/weight/ and storage requirements here. In the end I will most likely have a basic kit ans an extended travel add on kit for my long trips.

Also looking at adding some power tools. I have a corded milwaukee wrench now and want to go wireless. They ave so many options here as to what to choose. I know most of them would be overkill here. So my question is anyone who knows these tools which one should I narrow my persoec on? It will be used mostly for being able to remove and refit wheels. Possible using to remove and tighten suspension and body protection gear. (Bumper, Skids, Sliders) I think enough to be able to do 8 sets of tires on and off without recharging. Iwill have the capability to recharge in vehicle. Have looked at the 2767-20. Inout is welcome. thanks.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am totally in agreement with you. Hence I am narrowing my focus on these fixes. Many tools will be able to do a multitude of repairs. Also their is quite a difference between a day trip a couple hours from home in your home state. Than a mulit-month trip through other countries. Hence me focusing on tools that will at least allow me to get to a large city. Or give me enough time to be able to continue the trip whole to be able to have a replacement shipped. I wanted a sounding board and appreciate your feedback. I definitely am considering size/weight/ and storage requirements here. In the end I will most likely have a basic kit ans an extended travel add on kit for my long trips.

Also looking at adding some power tools. I have a corded milwaukee wrench now and want to go wireless. They ave so many options here as to what to choose. I know most of them would be overkill here. So my question is anyone who knows these tools which one should I narrow my persoec on? It will be used mostly for being able to remove and refit wheels. Possible using to remove and tighten suspension and body protection gear. (Bumper, Skids, Sliders) I think enough to be able to do 8 sets of tires on and off without recharging. Iwill have the capability to recharge in vehicle. Have looked at the 2767-20. Inout is welcome. thanks.
I have not looked into power tools but the hand tools I carry are; set of pliers that include side-cutters, screw driver set, 2 sizes of channel lock pliers, 3 different vice grips one being a needle nose, a hammer (one that is heavy enough that can be used to pound out a dented skid plate if needed) metric open end wrench set that has a ratcheting end, 3/8 drive metric ratchet set with 3/8 to 1/2 adapter and popular torx sizes, 1/2 inch breaker bar and 1 inch long extension, lug nut socket, and 10, 15, 18 mm sockets, and a 1/2 inch torque wrench that goes to 240ft lbs, a circuit tester(not just a test light but one that can test hot and ground and is computer safe)and of course a new roll of gorilla tape. Hope this gives you some ideas

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
I have been researching power tools extensively, cordless tripe. Right now I carry a corded Milwaukee 1/2 Impact wrench. Unfortunately it is large, bulky, requires corded power, only has near 200ft/lbs. Has been enough for removing lug nuts from my 4-runner. But too large for much else.

Now for Cordless. Milwaukee makes a lot of different cordless powertools and can be quite confusing as to which one to pick, especially impact wrench’s. Everything from torque busting power of 1400ft/lbs down to 1600in/lbs. After researching every torque setting for the JL and JT. The highest torque on a nut is in the 400ft/lbs. It if course depends on your axle that you have. Regardless, I wanted something that wouldn’t break the bank, is light enough, maneuverable, small enough to do suspension work, but power enough for Axle Retention Bolts and able to remove even the most torqued down fastener. Even with lock tight. I found that the Milwaukee 2860-20 M18 1/2” Mid Torque Model fits the bill. With 480lbs of fastening and 60lbs of busting torque it should be able to handle anything I need it for on the Gladiator. It also has multiple setting levels from low led and high. For example on low you can put on you lug bits around 100ft/lbs and torque to the 130lbs recommended. I did put the one without the batter as I have been able to source the factory 5amp batteries around $60. The vets price I’ve found on the tool new is $160 on eBay. About $40 less than the best I found on the high torque model. I do feel like it’s the best fit for any repair, making it easier and faster when needed. I really like the system and can see it beneficial for someone who wants to carry different tools even possibly a electric chainsaw with one battery system. I’ll stick with my stihl 391 for my needs though. But most would be good with the cordless. I don’t like their safety systems and can’t be used with chaps, plus with the type of travel we will be doing need a little more flexibility.

I am also starting to compile a spreadsheet with all the trucks bolts and nuts. If I can find them. I will try to also identify the nut/bolt sizes as well on this spreadsheet. I do see it as a work in progress and welcome feedback when I publish it to help fill in the blanks. I did find some specs listed by JL Life and feel that is a good starting point for the spreadsheet.

Also have been looking at Atlas 46 gear for tool storage as they offer some excellent options.

Pike1892

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Eco Diesel
I am also starting to compile a spreadsheet with all the trucks bolts and nuts. If I can find them. I will try to also identify the nut/bolt sizes as well on this spreadsheet.
This would be a great thing to have, It would also be helpful to know what size socket or wrench goes to those bolts and if there is a torque spec to critical items I think that would be helpful also.

I am in the process of building my tool kit for my JTRD, I am new to Diesel and not sure what I should carry for that platform.

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
This would be a great thing to have, It would also be helpful to know what size socket or wrench goes to those bolts and if there is a torque spec to critical items I think that would be helpful also.

I am in the process of building my tool kit for my JTRD, I am new to Diesel and not sure what I should carry for that platform.
This has fallen to the wayside a little bit. But have done enough wrenching on most things to have a really good idea of what is needed and will look at putting something together here in the near future.

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
This has fallen to the wayside a little bit. But have done enough wrenching on most things to have a really good idea of what is needed and will look at putting something together here in the near future.
I look forward to seeing it when you get it put together. Thanks!