Trail Tools

Lazarus_JT

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Anyone have a list of the tool it would take to make trail repairs? unit bearing nut socket size and things like that. I had a kit set up for my Jk just not sure what I would need for the JT or if anything is even different. I need to put me a tool kit together so I dont end up stranded somewhere if I break something.
Sponsored

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
Anyone have a list of the tool it would take to make trail repairs? unit bearing nut socket size and things like that. I had a kit set up for my Jk just not sure what I would need for the JT or if anything is even different. I need to put me a tool kit together so I dont end up stranded somewhere if I break something.
1, MacGyver attitude.
2. Duct tape.
3. hose clamps.
4. screwdriver/27 in 1 tool.
5. and a buddy who carrys every thing else in his rig so you don't have too.
6. # to AAA
:captain::LOL::beer:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lazarus_JT

Lazarus_JT

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
1, MacGyver attitude.
2. Duct tape.
3. hose clamps.
5. and a buddy who carrys every thing else in his rig so you don't have too.
6. # to AAA
you forgot the bailing wire.

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Just some food for thought, depending on what you're doing with your rig. Trying to guess what tools you'd need is a bit of a crap shoot for a couple reasons. First, there are mods. Maybe you install a skid plate that uses SAE hardware and you're not carrying any SAE tools because you know (knew!) your Jeep is all metric. Or, maybe you're smart enough to carry the needed SAE tools, but don't update your tools when you add that skid plate that uses a 15/16" bolt in one critical place. Or maybe your buddy in a Defender has a problem and asks if you have a tool that can help out. So, while I understand the need to reduce what you carry, trying to select only certain sockets and wrenches risks not having what you need when you really need it.

And I've experienced "really need it". If you follow my videos on YouTube, you may have seen where just my last trip my water pump blew itself while heading up Chloride Canyon across the Continental Divide, taking the serpentine belt with it. We were able to get a water pump, and only "universal" coolant after one of the other fellows drove three hours round trip to Truth or Consequences. Nearest Jeep dealers were a good five hours drive. Got the water pump installed and were able to continue rest of several day trip. Or that time driving the TransAmerica Trail when my buddy had a strange problem with braking. Turned out to be a missing bolt from the left front brake caliper. We fashioned a substitute from a wood stick we found laying on the ground, then drove carefully over the 7,000 mountain pass to a small town where we could spend the night. Then the next day drove several hours to Mountain Home, searched all over before we finally found an actual bolt that would fit in the hole (and they DO have a Jeep dealer that didn't carry one in stock!), and were able to get the other Jeep back into working condition. I could go on about "unrepairable" flat tires, failed batteries (in the Arctic, no less!), broken lights, and on and on.

All of this is to say, trying to guess what tools you'll need, what parts are going to fail, is not that great an idea. Be prepared (sorry, long time Scout leader here). If you wish to reduce tools, then don't carry two 3/8" sockets--one quarter inch drive, another half inch drive. Carry one and an adapter for the other ratchet size. Ditto for many of your other sockets. Consider screwdrivers with reversible tips (but beware the cheap stuff that breaks easily). You can carry a set of Torx bits, but there are also tools that have all of the Torx bits in one handy case. And even with that, there are plastic-cased versions that are a bit larger than the metal-cased versions. Craftsman used to make a nice metal version (also for SAE and metric Allens), but now it's all plastic. But another company still offers the metal. And so on.

After each of my TransAmerica Trail videos I put together a studio chat. Here's a link to the one I did on tools and recovery gear. 19:12 if not forwarded automatically ...

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just some food for thought, depending on what you're doing with your rig. Trying to guess what tools you'd need is a bit of a crap shoot for a couple reasons. First, there are mods. Maybe you install a skid plate that uses SAE hardware and you're not carrying any SAE tools because you know (knew!) your Jeep is all metric. Or, maybe you're smart enough to carry the needed SAE tools, but don't update your tools when you add that skid plate that uses a 15/16" bolt in one critical place. Or maybe your buddy in a Defender has a problem and asks if you have a tool that can help out. So, while I understand the need to reduce what you carry, trying to select only certain sockets and wrenches risks not having what you need when you really need it.

And I've experienced "really need it". If you follow my videos on YouTube, you may have seen where just my last trip my water pump blew itself while heading up Chloride Canyon across the Continental Divide, taking the serpentine belt with it. We were able to get a water pump, and only "universal" coolant after one of the other fellows drove three hours round trip to Truth or Consequences. Nearest Jeep dealers were a good five hours drive. Got the water pump installed and were able to continue rest of several day trip. Or that time driving the TransAmerica Trail when my buddy had a strange problem with braking. Turned out to be a missing bolt from the left front brake caliper. We fashioned a substitute from a wood stick we found laying on the ground, then drove carefully over the 7,000 mountain pass to a small town where we could spend the night. Then the next day drove several hours to Mountain Home, searched all over before we finally found an actual bolt that would fit in the hole (and they DO have a Jeep dealer that didn't carry one in stock!), and were able to get the other Jeep back into working condition. I could go on about "unrepairable" flat tires, failed batteries (in the Arctic, no less!), broken lights, and on and on.

All of this is to say, trying to guess what tools you'll need, what parts are going to fail, is not that great an idea. Be prepared (sorry, long time Scout leader here). If you wish to reduce tools, then don't carry two 3/8" sockets--one quarter inch drive, another half inch drive. Carry one and an adapter for the other ratchet size. Ditto for many of your other sockets. Consider screwdrivers with reversible tips (but beware the cheap stuff that breaks easily). You can carry a set of Torx bits, but there are also tools that have all of the Torx bits in one handy case. And even with that, there are plastic-cased versions that are a bit larger than the metal-cased versions. Craftsman used to make a nice metal version (also for SAE and metric Allens), but now it's all plastic. But another company still offers the metal. And so on.

After each of my TransAmerica Trail videos I put together a studio chat. Here's a link to the one I did on tools and recovery gear. 19:12 if not forwarded automatically ...

dont end up stranded somewhere if I break something.
1, MacGyver attitude.
2. Duct tape.
3. hose clamps.
5. and a buddy who carries every thing else in his rig so you don't have too.
6. # to AAA

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Just some food for thought, depending on what you're doing with your rig. Trying to guess what tools you'd need is a bit of a crap shoot for a couple reasons. First, there are mods. Maybe you install a skid plate that uses SAE hardware and you're not carrying any SAE tools because you know (knew!) your Jeep is all metric. Or, maybe you're smart enough to carry the needed SAE tools, but don't update your tools when you add that skid plate that uses a 15/16" bolt in one critical place. Or maybe your buddy in a Defender has a problem and asks if you have a tool that can help out. So, while I understand the need to reduce what you carry, trying to select only certain sockets and wrenches risks not having what you need when you really need it. ........////
Mark thanks for your comments and videos. I always enjoy them.
Like you, I have a fair amount of experience overlanding in remote places. Our most recent trip was crossing the Namib Desert in Namibia, a truly desolate environment.

Having said that I will also admit to being somewhat of a weight Nazi and I would bet that you are seriously overweight which we both know can lead to increased wear and tear on a vehicle which in my mind should be avoided at all costs. That is one of the reasons I bought a Gladiator instead of a Wrangler. One thing that jumped out at me is that you carry a floor jack as well as a Hi Lift jack but you didn’t mention having a piece of plywood to provide support in softer environments. For me I have one of these which provides an increased base plate for more stability. It also weighs less and takes up less space....all plusses in my book as well as being more stable.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-6...locphy=9008728&hvtargid=pla-456314400609&th=1

When we take our longer trips we usually decide who carries what. There is no need for everyone to have a set of 3/8” SAE socket sets or combination wrenches etc.

We are in the process of building our Gladiator for extended trips into Mexico and Central America and my goal is to keep the vehicle as light as possible...something I’m going to have a hard time doing..

Once again thanks for the videos, maybe we’ll see you on the trail someday..

Sponsored

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 JLUR, 1997 Wrangler Sport
From past experiences, everyone who owns a jeep has some tools. When someone breaks on the trail, more times than not there is always a short supply of 3/8" extensions. We have literally gone down the line collecting extensions. So if at all buy extras and make sure they are the wobble extensions. Paint them some odd brite color so they stand out in the mud and mix of others.

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
From past experiences, everyone who owns a jeep has some tools. When someone breaks on the trail, more times than not there is always a short supply of 3/8" extensions. We have literally gone down the line collecting extensions. So if at all buy extras and make sure they are the wobble extensions. Paint them some odd brite color so they stand out in the mud and mix of others.
and 8 & 10MM sockets

OP
OP
Lazarus_JT

Lazarus_JT

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

Im with you on the take everything you need tools wise I guess i should have been more specific. Im more or less talking about the specialty tools like the socket to take the front hubs off. I know on my jk it was like 36mm or 35mm not sure anymore. Just looking for the tools that you would not find in your typical ratchet set or wrench set an things like that.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
... I know on my jk it was like 36mm or 35mm not sure anymore. ...
You're right, it's 35 or 36. You actually have to look at each specific JK to see which it is. And I know of at least one case where there was one of each on either side of the Jeep.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
This is great information, but besides tools can someone chime in on some parts to carry as well? Some basic bolts and spare parts that might break on the trail? I know this is highly generic but I would like to build a kit as well to carry some basic tools and some spare parts if possible.
Sponsored