First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon -
Occupation
Emergency Management
I searched before I posted this but probably not enough. I found a lot of discussion about tow capacity but not much of anything on trailer brake controllers.
While I have towed a lot, I have never needed, or known that I needed, a brake controller. I just bought an Opus OP2 and the seller (XGrid Campers, Nevada, who I highly recommend) was adamant I need a break controller for this camper, especially off-roading with it. I can see that you wouldn't want your trailer in a steep downhill, pushing you off the trail and possibly cliff.
So, I start researching trailer brake controllers for the 2020 Jeep Gladiator. Of course, the newly released Mopar controller shows up for $350.00 ish. Umm no thanks. But then I get schooled on the breadth of break controllers out there. Dang! What did I learn?
1. Never use a time delay brake controller - mainly because with the technology of proportional brake controllers out there, why would you use an inferior product?
2. Of the proportional brake controllers, some must be mounted with a specific orientation - and it's generally somewhere inconvenient. This is because of how the accelerometers are mounted in it. They also have multiple buttons to mess with. Others can be hidden away under the dash or somewhere because they do not require the specific orientation. And I am not sure why they're different but they only have one knob to mount somewhere conspicuous and that is all to controlling the trailer brakes. I like simplicity.
3. There is also a wireless Bluetooth controller out there, CURT Echo but some reviewers have issues with it braking when it shouldn't and others have fears because there is no hardwire. I suspect the first group probably suffer from an initial improper configuration issue. Basically garbage in/garbage out. I read from more than one review that when they erased and started over, it worked fine. And it has a failsafe for loosing Bluetooth connection with your phone. But yeah, its wireless - I see lots of perks.
3. The countless hardwire solutions all seem to involve some level of invasiveness, whether it is drilling a hole in your dash for the knob or brackets, or poking wires through the firewall enroute to the battery and the other direction to connect to your 7-pin. Not a fan.
All this to ask one simple question.
Does anyone know of a "plug-n-play" trailer brake controller? There are plug-n-play harnesses out there but they talk about the Ford F150 or Chevy, no mention of Gladiator. I know I'll still have to poke holes in my Gladiator for the bracket and possibly knob if I go with that type, but I want a direct connect for the wiring. If I cannot get a plug-n-play controller, I'll probably go with the Echo and see how it is.
Sponsored

ricky0018

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Max Tow, 04 VW GTI 20th Anniversary
I went with the CURT 51110 Brake Controller and CURT 51527 Wiring Harness. Only holes were for the mounting bracket as you mentioned. Super easy to install and it all came in under $50.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
2. Of the proportional brake controllers, some must be mounted with a specific orientation - and it's generally somewhere inconvenient. This is because of how the accelerometers are mounted in it. They also have multiple buttons to mess with. Others can be hidden away under the dash or somewhere because they do not require the specific orientation. And I am not sure why they're different but they only have one knob to mount somewhere conspicuous and that is all to controlling the trailer brakes. I like simplicity.
I don't think those old style with the "pendulums" even sell any more - that's the sort that has a button and a lever and must be mounted level. That's old-school stuff there. Anyone seen those lately? Maybe they are still available, but why?
Modern brake controllers have electronics - accelerometers, not pendulums and can be mounted in almost any orientation as long as they are solidly mounted and can't move.
There's no multiple buttons - one dial with a button in it.

The Curt Echo doesn't do badly as long as a person sets it up correctly. Even if you lose bluetooth connectivity, once it's set up it should be good for the rest of the trip. I'd not be afraid of it. And you can buy a button for it if you want....... and put it anywhere.

The mopar controller is fine as long as you don't care if you move or give up the 12v outlet. It's literally plug and play and it works and works fine. I've got one. I have also used REDARC and have a write-up on it here in the forum.

No matter what you use, unless it's the curt bluetooth unit, you'll have to mount a control box or the dial. No multiple buttons - not sure where that comes from. Redarc and MOPAR both have a SINGLE combo dial/button. One hole.

There's a ton of info on the web in general - a lot of it is out of date, and other info is based on selling something, dissing the competition. Viewer beware.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I just bought an Opus OP2 and the seller (XGrid Campers, Nevada, who I highly recommend) was adamant I need a break controller for this camper, especially off-roading with it. I can see that you wouldn't want your trailer in a steep downhill, pushing you off the trail and possibly cliff.
Sounds like you need the Redarc.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Curt Spectrum is a good choice and easy to install. It can be mounted without drilling holes in the dash, or running wires through the firewall.

Most states require a brake controller for any trailer weighing 3000 pounds or more. Some states require one for trailers as light as 1500 pounds.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dad tows his race car with his Ridgeline with this controller. He says it does a great job. I tow regularly but never with brakes so I don't know much about brake controllers.

Its a lot more than the Curts, but seems to be proportional rather than time based.

Here is a link to is from e-trailer with a custom Gladiator plug and play harness.

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...e=Jeep&HHModel=Gladiator#prod-acc-onlyreviews

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My dad tows his race car with his Ridgeline with this controller. He says it does a great job. I tow regularly but never with brakes so I don't know much about brake controllers.

Its a lot more than the Curts, but seems to be proportional rather than time based.

Here is a link to is from e-trailer with a custom Gladiator plug and play harness.

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...e=Jeep&HHModel=Gladiator#prod-acc-onlyreviews
Don't need the custom harness.
Diode is not required. Jeep has since fixed the issue with an ABS flash.

So any Gladiator or other harness with the same end will work.
Even the stock Redarc harness will work.
Folks can stop worrying about having to do some hack, put in a diode or buy a special custom harness.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for the echo

It looks like OP did his homework. Ive had zero issues with my echo and will not buy anything else.

if you go with the echo you will be pleased.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for the echo

It looks like OP did his homework. Ive had zero issues with my echo and will not buy anything else.

if you go with the echo you will be pleased.
No wiring, it's portable if you have multiple vehicles.

Sponsored

Pepper2.0

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Operator
I installed the Redarc Tow Pro Elite in mine with no issues, besides having to order the correct mount where it replaces the 12 volt plug like the mopar factory one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Trailer Brake Controllers for the Gladiator 19-20200915_144213_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Trailer Brake Controllers for the Gladiator 13-20200915_114640_HDR

Below - initial holes and alignment - above I added a small bracket to reinforce the mounting flange and reduce vibration. No cutting of trim, no messing with any plastic panel, just drilled these two holes, that's it, the only real mod to the truck. it's up out of the way, cables easily reach fine.
Jeep Gladiator Trailer Brake Controllers for the Gladiator 11-20200915_111801

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I got the Curt Echo and then I got the button to stick on the dash for brakes. Totally worth it, makes setting up a new trailer brake profile easy. I borrow cargo trailers from work frequently, and it's whatever is left over from mobilization, so I've filled the profiles out in addition to our 24' travel trailers.

OP, I am *really* interested in the Opus line, I walked through an OP4 before we bought our street travel trailer and I drooled a bit. Perfect for glamping across the Mojave Road!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I really like my Redarc, it also has some kind of off road mode available to that sounds like might go well with your trailer.
Sponsored