Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Does anyone have the actual documented transfer case oil fill level? Yes I know....fill it till fluid runs out..... But what is the specified level in the tech manual? Example: 1/4" below to running out the fill hole? between 1/2 and 1/4"?

Reason I ask is that my truck has had a leak between the t-case and transmission since new....Not enough to hit the ground, but enough for dirt to stick. I've never added fluid to the t-case, but I checked the level yesterday before taking it to the dealer for this and a few other things. Tech says there is no leak, but I can clearly see it is leaking from the rear adapter drain hole.

The fluid has never ran out of the fill hole when checking it, but is on my pinky finger when i dip it in. It's now right at 1/2" below the hole and I feel that's right about where it should be added to?

I'm now going to have to document and monitor it since I'm getting resistance from the dealer.....Imagine that?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Attached is the actual Tech Authority procedure for the transfer case drain and fill. It defers to the quick reference for fluid capacities and level. There is a note in the transfer case fluid section to fill to the bottom of the fill hole.

Jeep Gladiator Transfer case oil fill level Transfer

Attachments

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Attached is the actual Tech Authority procedure for the transfer case drain and fill. It defers to the quick reference for fluid capacities and level. There is a note in the transfer case fluid section to fill to the bottom of the fill hole.

Jeep Gladiator Transfer case oil fill level Transfer
OK cool, so now I have to document how many oz I add to top off and and keep track. I'm sure it will leak more with the level 1/2" higher.

Of course they didn't give me any paperwork excuse was that it has to be kept open till the rear window leak is dealt with.

AlohaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Damn, my dealer found two leaks from me taking it to get my 2nd oil change. 1 leak where you describe it and the other was the transmission cooler. Let me see if i can attach the work done, just got it back last night
Jeep Gladiator Transfer case oil fill level IMG_2487.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Transfer case oil fill level IMG_2488.JPG

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Damn, my dealer found two leaks from me taking it to get my 2nd oil change. 1 leak where you describe it and the other was the transmission cooler. Let me see if i can attach the work done, just got it back last night
IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG
Yes, I suspect it's the front input seal on the t-case since there are 2 weep holes in the adapter.........One front at the trans and one rear at the t-case and the rear one is damp. Many case here, however I thought most of them got new t-cases as a seal wasn't available at the time?

I might just order the $20 seal and fix it myself. I really didn't want the dealer touching this truck anyway, but that recall flash had to be done.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Just a FYI, it is standard practice that they will not classify it as a "leak" until droplets form.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just a FYI, it is standard practice that they will not classify it as a "leak" until droplets form.
I'll top it off and make sure to clean the dust off next time so there is a drop hanging out of the case!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does this look like a leak to you guys? There's a drip formed just in front of the bolt. There is also marks where the inspector scraped the area with something sharp.

I just topped it up....it took 15oz to run out the fill hole, so I have to assume the tech never even checked the oil level? The note I provided to the SA told him the oil level was low and I had not added to they could verify the leak and low level. I would assume a fluid capacity 25% low is too low?

I also noted the one of the monkeys used my RockSlides for a step.........Probably the guy looking for my rear window leak. On par for the level of service I've seen in our area. One of the guys told me their labor rate was currently $200hr.....Maybe I should be billing more at my shop? No way this shit would be happening at my shop.

Jeep Gladiator Transfer case oil fill level 20230304_112408
Sponsored

Last edited: