Sponsored

Travel Trailer Questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 24880
  • Start date
  • Watchers 7

Deleted member 24880

Ok all, wife and I are considering a travel trailer for some exploring now that we are empty nesters. I have a few questions. For you all that are towing a travel trailer / camper how’s the Gladiator handle it? I have a Sport S w/o max tow but do have the tow package so it looks like I’m rated for approx 6,000 lbs. I am looking to stay in the 5,000 lbs range of trailer. What all will I need to add to the Gladiator to make it wo and go safely? Trailer break, weight distribution hitch, etc? I have pulled big trailers farming and such over the years so I know somewhat what to expect but looking for some help and pointers from you all. Thanks Bryan
Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Are you talking 5,000 lbs dry weight or loaded up?

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

Dry weight. Figured that gave me a buffer for gear and such. Should I look at Less dry weight?

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I would shop for something that weighs in the low 4000s. By the time you add batteries, propane and a weight distributing hitch (must have), it'll creep into the mid 4s. That size trailer puts you right on the change-over from single to tandem axle trailers. Tandems will tow noticeably better. Slides ad room, but they're heavy.
There is an absolutely dizzying number of trailer models out there, and it isn't always easy to search for the exact things you want.
For 2 people I like the Rpod 201 and 202 or No Boundries 19.1 and 19.6. If you're not in a hurry (they're built to order) the Canadian Escape trailer are sweet.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Brake controler is a must, and from what I have seen WDH is something you are going to want on a TT of any size for the most part.

I think the size you shoot for depends on how you plan to use it. Do you plan on going off grid needing lots of bateries, propain, and full tanks? Or are you going to places with full hookups where you are looking for comfort? Amount of cargo you are going to be putting in is going to effect the weight the most since some of these ones that are a dry 5k can easily hold over 1k of cargo. and you don't want the cargo on the JT due to payload limitations more than likely.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
Another option for trailer is the IntechRV Sol Horizon, this is an all aluminum trailer which run lighter. We have a Sol Dawn which we really like.

IntechRV Sol Horizon

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
Per the owner's manual, you should have a WDH for any trailer over 3500 lbs. Mine is right around there loaded and while I towed it with just an antisway hitch, there was some squat at the rear (may have been more pronounced due to the Mojave suspension). I now have a WDH that I will be installing before our next trip. I have the redarc brake controller and it works great and looks pretty stock IMO.

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

Brake controler is a must, and from what I have seen WDH is something you are going to want on a TT of any size for the most part.

I think the size you shoot for depends on how you plan to use it. Do you plan on going off grid needing lots of bateries, propain, and full tanks? Or are you going to places with full hookups where you are looking for comfort? Amount of cargo you are going to be putting in is going to effect the weight the most since some of these ones that are a dry 5k can easily hold over 1k of cargo. and you don't want the cargo on the JT due to payload limitations more than likely.
We plan on 6-8 hr drives from NE Indian. We will be staying in campgrounds with full hook ups. My wife will not shit in a porta-potty or really public bathrooms unless she has no other options. I’m trying to get her away from hotels because of the dog. There won’t be any off the grid type stuff. Attached is the camper that got me looking. It’s used at a nearby dealer.
https://bendavisrv.com/inventory/tr...e+241qbxl-auburn-in-5fbec56f70637a4d5b43cad2/

Msilva

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK
I pull a 19ft GeoPro. Around 3,000 lbs. the rubicon pulls it great. I have a redarc trailer brake and WDH. I’d recommend both!

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
We plan on 6-8 hr drives from NE Indian. We will be staying in campgrounds with full hook ups. My wife will not shit in a porta-potty or really public bathrooms unless she has no other options. I’m trying to get her away from hotels because of the dog. There won’t be any off the grid type stuff. Attached is the camper that got me looking. It’s used at a nearby dealer.
https://bendavisrv.com/inventory/tr...e+241qbxl-auburn-in-5fbec56f70637a4d5b43cad2/
Weight wise you should be in good shape. With properly set WDH it should be good and stable. At that width, you'll definitely need some tow mirrors.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Amount of cargo you are going to be putting in is going to effect the weight the most since some of these ones that are a dry 5k can easily hold over 1k of cargo. and you don't want the cargo on the JT due to payload limitations more than likely.
I would add that it helps tongue weight if you can stow heavy cargo in the trailer behind the axles (or in the cab of the truck). Easier with some campers than others. Lots of tongue weight with travel trailers, as mentioned. Propane, batts, beds, pass through storage, etc.

Last edited:

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I would say you are probably fine with something like that, its pretty light and I can't imagine a ton of wieght with empty tanks. I pull a 6k dry camper with my rubicon and its fine, but not great. But I don't plan on going more than 3 hours away. only times it really gets me is the hills honestly, which you probably wont see many of out there.

EJS

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Maserati Gran Tourismo, 1967 Chevrolet Camaro
We pull a similar trailer (24’ tandem axle) with a Rubicon and it tows very well. Ours is heavier and is on the slow side up hills, but stable and feels safe. WDH, Curt Echo and always check tire pressures On both vehicles.
Sponsored