First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Willys, 05 Dodge RAM 3500, 02 WJ
Occupation
Software Engineer
Simple question... can you put a Tru-Trac in the front diff? And... does it work well both on and off-road. Of course this is a non-Rubicon JT with the D44 front diff (3.73).

Rob
Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Yes, you can put in the front.

And yes, they work well on and off road. Not as good as a locker off road if you are lifting tires in the air, but almost as good.

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
I have had one in the front axle of my Cherokee for 18 years. Works great. It is picky about the oil not being old and thin, and don't use synthetic per Eaton.

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
The Eaton oil specs for the diff did not agree with the Dana oil specs. Eaton may have approved some synth oil at this point.

Sponsored

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT
Had one in my TJ. Great in the snow, mud, and as a daily, but as stated once a tire goes up in the air, they don't provide much help. Yes you can foot break and get it to grab a little (poor man's locker), but if you plan to wheel moderate to hard trails with it where one wheel may be in the air at times, just get a selectable locker.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
My side ride is a 2004 WJ with "varilock" LSD diffs front and rear, and the full time 4WD t case. It's amazing in the slick/snow, wish I could have the JT set up like it. Probably not the best for rock crawling, but I wouldn't want anything else for a DD in the northern states.

Please followup if you decide to do it, I'd be interested to hear how you like it.

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT
Found this to not be true with the JK models with the BLD. JL/JT would be the same.
Correct, the BLD acts like the foot brake I described. However it's not still not going to help like an actual locker. Again if the OP wants it mainly for snow, mud, traction on mild-mod trails, go for it. If the OP is going to rock crawl and find themselves in precarious positions, a locker would be a better option. Don't get me wrong I loved it for what it was. Once I started rock crawling more, I found myself needing to winch. Put in a locker and bingo.
Sponsored