Sponsored

Truck redlined without me touching gas peddle.

Beowulf85

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator sport s
So I went wheeling sat and after my truck was covered in mud. So I went to a self car wash. I cleaned out the wheel wells and the bumpers real good with the power washer. I was in a rush because I had a 4 hour ride home. So I hopped in immediately after washing it. I started her up put my truck into drive and the truck immediately redlined without me pressing the gas. Luckily I had my foot still on the brake so I only went 25 feet before I was smart enough to just hit the start button off. I waited a few seconds and started it again and it redlined again but I was ready so I shut it off immediately. Waited 5 min started up no problems. Idled reg . Anyone? Thinking maybe a sensor got wet or something.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
So I went wheeling sat and after my truck was covered in mud. So I went to a self car wash. I cleaned out the wheel wells and the bumpers real good with the power washer. I was in a rush because I had a 4 hour ride home. So I hopped in immediately after washing it. I started her up put my truck into drive and the truck immediately redlined without me pressing the gas. Luckily I had my foot still on the brake so I only went 25 feet before I was smart enough to just hit the start button off. I waited a few seconds and started it again and it redlined again but I was ready so I shut it off immediately. Waited 5 min started up no problems. Idled reg . Anyone? Thinking maybe a sensor got wet or something.
Mine continued to accelerate while climbing a rock ledge last week. I had released the throttle and was on the brake, but the engine maintained rpm for a second or two. Doesnā€™t sound that bad, but was concerning considering 1-3 seconds on the throttle could make the difference in rolling over, or striking something/someone. I havenā€™t taken it in because there will be no way for them to duplicate the issue.

OP
OP
Beowulf85

Beowulf85

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator sport s
Mine continued to accelerate while climbing a rock ledge last week. I had released the throttle and was on the brake, but the engine maintained rpm for a second or two. Doesnā€™t sound that bad, but was concerning considering 1-3 seconds on the throttle could make the difference in rolling over, or striking something/someone. I havenā€™t taken it in because there will be no way for them to duplicate the issue.

I've had it hold rpms like that on pavement. When you climb or crawl do you keep it in 4 low?

I had my rubber floor mats loose in the truck. Thinking maybe it was stuck on peddle when I tossed it in. Might of slid back when I got out to check gas peddle. I dont know for sure but no codes came up and I read on line some guys had the mats catching the peddle on jks so I replicated it with my loose mats and it redlined after holding down brake. Hopeing it was my human error and never happens again.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi Beowulf85,
This is certainly concerning to hear. If you experience any future situations similar to this one, I would recommend bringing it directly to your dealer. Please reach out to us with any further questions you may have.

Kathryn
JeepCares

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Was the Selec - Speed Control (SSC) on in either of the circumstances described above?

Sponsored

Pugfug

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro 4-X, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited JL
The exact same thing happened to me one time with our 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. Totally random...I had just finished washing it at the car wash, went to start it and boom...all the way to redline. I immediately turned it off....it did it on the next start up...turned it off again...and then it never happened again. Hopefully its a one and done for you too!

OP
OP
Beowulf85

Beowulf85

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator sport s
The exact same thing happened to me one time with our 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. Totally random...I had just finished washing it at the car wash, went to start it and boom...all the way to redline. I immediately turned it off....it did it on the next start up...turned it off again...and then it never happened again. Hopefully its a one and done for you too!
Hope so. Haven't been having much luck with jeeps these days.

Captain Kerns

First Name
Captain Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator

Captain Kerns

First Name
Captain Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
My guess is that you removed your floor maps to spray them off and when you put them back in they were interfering with the gas peddle? Just a guess?

OP
OP
Beowulf85

Beowulf85

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator sport s
My guess is that you removed your floor maps to spray them off and when you put them back in they were interfering with the gas peddle? Just a guess?
Probably right when I got out to check mat it probably pulled back off pedal.
Sponsored