Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
I found a Gobi Overland that is nearly perfect for what I’m looking for. I don’t have the window sticker in front of me, but off the top of my head, it’s auto, body colored hard top (the only thing I don’t love), cold weather group, remote proximity entry, 8.4” radio, LED light upgrade, leather, bedliner, and a couple of other options I’m sure I’m forgetting.

MSRP is right at 53k. Am I right to be thinking I should be aiming for 7-8% below invoice *plus* the $2,000 rebate Jeep is offering now? Or is the 7-8% going to be as good as I can expect with the rebate rolled in? Aside from Tri-City in Eden (who has been good to work with as I’m trying to shop) and Koons in D.C. (ditto), I’m not finding anyone willing to go that low in my area.

I’m looking to trade my 2015 JKU Hard Rock with 94,400+ miles. It has a 3” lift, Metalcloaks, winch, 35s, and a few other upgrades that I know won’t get me a lot, but it hurts my feeling to give it away. The best offer I’ve gotten so far on a trade is $20,000. Should I take that and run with it or be looking for a little more? I have my Jeep listed on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, but I don’t know if I’ll get any bites with everyone locked in the house right now.

I’m trying to put all this together. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

What kind of OTD price should I be happy with?
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I've seen some pretty loaded overland's in the Houston area in the $44-$45 Range. I wish I could remember where I saw it but think it was a red overland and it was loaded with almost everything. I can't remember if it had the cargo management system in it but it had cold weather, 8.4, proximity, collision, blind spot, auxiliary, etc. Think it was listed for around $46,000.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I found a Gobi Overland that is nearly perfect for what I’m looking for. I don’t have the window sticker in front of me, but off the top of my head, it’s auto, body colored hard top (the only thing I don’t love), cold weather group, remote proximity entry, 8.4” radio, LED light upgrade, leather, bedliner, and a couple of other options I’m sure I’m forgetting.
Go wolf pack! Went to NCSU in the 70’s.

Get the Gobi with body colored hard top and when you take your JT on vacation to Maine you can stop by and I’ll trade you my black hardtop!

OP
OP
Mr. Wuf

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
The 70s would have been a fun time to be at NCSU, especially if you were there during the David Thompson years. I'm class of '04, so I missed out on the Jimmy V years, but at least I also missed out on the Les Robinson Invitational years and got to be there for Philip Rivers and Julius Hodge.

As far as my Jeep search, the plot thickens. The Gobi Overland sold yesterday. I found two Jeeps at a local dealer that I really like. There's a black Overland that has auto, saddle leather, cold weather, active safety, 8.4" radio, bed liner, proximity entry, and body colored hard top (a waste of money on a black Jeep, in my opinion). MSRP is $53,065 and they quoted me $46,807 ($48,588 OTD) on their first offer. I haven't negotiated yet.

They also have a sting-gray Sport S with Max Tow (hooray!!). It's auto with the convenience group but no cold weather, so auto start but no heated seats. I don't use them anyway, but my wife does. It also has the 8.4" screen, active safety, black hard top, and bed liner. It's MSRP is $47,505 and I haven't asked them to give me an offer yet. They actually found this one at another dealership after I told them I might be interested in a Sport S with Max Tow.

My head is telling me the Sport S is a much better platform to build from since I want to lift and go with at least 35s if not 37s. I could always add Katzkins and aftermarket heated seats later. I don't know how much I'd use the proximity entry. My wife's Grand Cherokee is three months old and I still haven't gotten used to it on hers.

Ugh... decisions...

Sponsored

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
The 70s would have been a fun time to be at NCSU, especially if you were there during the David Thompson years. I'm class of '04, so I missed out on the Jimmy V years, but at least I also missed out on the Les Robinson Invitational years and got to be there for Philip Rivers and Julius Hodge.

As far as my Jeep search, the plot thickens. The Gobi Overland sold yesterday. I found two Jeeps at a local dealer that I really like. There's a black Overland that has auto, saddle leather, cold weather, active safety, 8.4" radio, bed liner, proximity entry, and body colored hard top (a waste of money on a black Jeep, in my opinion). MSRP is $53,065 and they quoted me $46,807 ($48,588 OTD) on their first offer. I haven't negotiated yet.

They also have a sting-gray Sport S with Max Tow (hooray!!). It's auto with the convenience group but no cold weather, so auto start but no heated seats. I don't use them anyway, but my wife does. It also has the 8.4" screen, active safety, black hard top, and bed liner. It's MSRP is $47,505 and I haven't asked them to give me an offer yet. They actually found this one at another dealership after I told them I might be interested in a Sport S with Max Tow.

My head is telling me the Sport S is a much better platform to build from since I want to lift and go with at least 35s if not 37s. I could always add Katzkins and aftermarket heated seats later. I don't know how much I'd use the proximity entry. My wife's Grand Cherokee is three months old and I still haven't gotten used to it on hers.

Ugh... decisions...
I am debating a rubicon vs. max tow and I think I will get more 'truck' for the price of a max tow. I would plan on adding a 2-3" lift and air lockers to a max tow, full belly skids, etc. I think if you plan on modding it, going cheaper initially will be better suited from a $/ interest over time. I think a sport s will have a higher resale value compared to a factory outfitted rubicon. Doesn't sound like it is, but I was reading about peoples experiences with Jk and the sport versions seem to hold more value over the rubicons. I am waiting to see the deals with the sport S over the next couple of months.

OP
OP
Mr. Wuf

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
I'm using the pricing calculator on this site, and invoice on the Sport S is $44,177.00. His first offer was $44,322.

Should I be demanding 7% below ($41,084) or should I be happy with another number? I feel like this is a pretty serious buyer's market right now, so I don't mind walking away.

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I'm using the pricing calculator on this site, and invoice on the Sport S is $44,177.00. His first offer was $44,322.

Should I be demanding 7% below ($41,084) or should I be happy with another number? I feel like this is a pretty serious buyer's market right now, so I don't mind walking away.
If you can wait, I would. I think in the next couple of months they will want to give these things away (any vehicle for that matter). I think we are far from the peak of the pandemic in the US. Give it a month, you might get it for $40K.

OP
OP
Mr. Wuf

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
The only thing that scares me a little about waiting is that my 2015 JKUHR has 94,500 miles on it. I'm afraid if it hits 100,000, it's going to take a more substantial depreciation hit.

They're only offering $20,000 as it is. KBB in good condition has upper end at $22,000, and I have a 3" lift, Metalcloak fenders, winch, and 35s. I know the add-ons don't necessarily give me added value in a trade, but it sure shouldn't hurt.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The only thing that scares me a little about waiting is that my 2015 JKUHR has 94,500 miles on it. I'm afraid if it hits 100,000, it's going to take a more substantial depreciation hit.

They're only offering $20,000 as it is. KBB in good condition has upper end at $22,000, and I have a 3" lift, Metalcloak fenders, winch, and 35s. I know the add-ons don't necessarily give me added value in a trade, but it sure shouldn't hurt.
Keep in mind most new vehicle dealers would send your trade in straight to auction since it is modified or to a third tier used car lot dealer.

I agree that 100K miles it will take a hit as that is a psychological barrier that impacts many buyers

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

First - get the build sheets off this forum and price out what you would get if you ordered a Sport S and a Rubicon. Build a spread sheet with those options listed at MSRP and Invoice.
Determine what the absolute must haves are on your build. Then search the dealer’s sites like Tri-City and Koons And Spirit Lake to see if they have what you are looking for. Add those to your spread sheet. Check your local dealers as well and add them to your spreadsheet. When you’ve got a list of like vehicles send a request for price to all those dealers. The dealer with the best price is your dealer. Including doc fees - they can be 1% or more of the final price depending on the dealer. Or under $100. Title and registration is going to be the same for all dealers since it is based on where you live. Get the dealers trade-in values to net the final cost and include it on the spreadsheet . Negotiate with your local dealers for the best deal, but be prepared to travel if you need to. Travel really doesn’t factor into the price since you can consider it the price of going on vacation. If you can get a deal within a days drive it’s as cheap as a car rental plus gas, or with the trade in, just the gas. With the spreadsheet you will have everything you need to see where the best price is.

teleportJeep

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Recent deal in Southern CA
well equipped Overland
MSRP $54735
Dealer discount: $9319
Cash Incentive $2000
Total discount $11319
Customer Price $43416
~20.5% off MSRP
72 Months 2.9%
+CA TAX
+$738 DMV Fees
+85 Doc Fees

abirozy1971

First Name
adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tesla model s / shopping for gladiator
Recent deal in Southern CA
well equipped Overland
MSRP $54735
Dealer discount: $9319
Cash Incentive $2000
Total discount $11319
Customer Price $43416
~20.5% off MSRP
72 Months 2.9%
+CA TAX
+$738 DMV Fees
+85 Doc Fees
I am in socal and have been considering an overland or a rubicon. Best price I have found was Champion in Cerritos, but it doesn't compare to that deal. What dealer did you get that at?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Reactions: BAT
OP
OP
Mr. Wuf

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
I ended up buying from Koons (again). I traded my 2015 JKUHR that I ordered from them for a Gobi North Edition. I’m happy with the deal I got, and Craig was super helpful to work with.

I had emailed Travis at Tri-City a few times, and he was also very helpful and seems like a good guy based on my limited interaction with him. I wouldn’t hesitate at all to do business with him in the future, but Koons had the right Jeep with the right options at the right price, so I went with them.
Sponsored